997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2012 Turbo S - 6 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
2012 Turbo S - 6 speed transmission

I was surfing 911 dealer inventory (via the Porsche web site) and noticed almost all the 2012 Turbo S cars were listed with 6 speed transmissions.

Is this a true?

I miss my 2008 TT with its six speed, but the PDK in my new turbo is an unbelievable technological advancement and I do not think I could ever go back to a 6 speed.

Here is an example from Pacific Porsche (So Cal)

http://pacific.porschedealer.com/new...94653/info.php

2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

<TABLE class=features><TBODY><TR class="importantFeature firstRow"><TH>VIN</TH><TD>***********773097</TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Stock ID</TH><TD></TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Mileage</TH><TD></TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Transmission </TH><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Exterior</TH><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Interior</TH><TD>Black Full Leather Interior </TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Engine</TH><TD></TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Additional
Equipment

</TH><TD>686 - XM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver
635 - ParkAssist System (Rear)
342 - Heated Seats (Front)
XVY - Clothes Hook Seat Back Leather
XUX - Rear Seat Back Lever Leather
CDA - Air Vent Slats - Aluminum Look
XSB - Sport Seat Backrests Leather
XMZ - Center Console in Leather
XD9 - Wheels Paint in Exterior Color
XSC - Porsche Crest Emboss Headrest

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>And From The Auto Gallery website
<TABLE style="DISPLAY: block" id=searchTable class="normalTable extensive"><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S</TD><TD>Carrara White /
Black/SandBeigeFull LeatherInt
</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$168,895</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="alternate odd"><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Carrara White /
Black/Cream Full Leather Inter
</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$179,170</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Meteor Grey Metallic /
Sand Beige Full Leather Inter
</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$180,285</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="alternate odd"><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Guards Red /
Black Full Leather Interior
</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$185,375</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Platinum Silver Metallic /
Natural Leather in Carrera Red
</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$176,030</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="alternate odd"><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Carrara White /
</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$182,945</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by ERSKATEDOC; 04-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
I thought all the Turbo S cars had PDK? It's possible they made a few manuals if someone wanted one bad enough, but they would be a very small minority, if there even are any.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
I was surfing 911 dealer inventory (via the Porsche web site) and noticed almost all the 2012 Turbo S cars were listed with 6 speed transmissions.

Is this a true?

I miss my 2008 TT with its six speed, but the PDK in my new turbo is an unbelievable technological advancement and I do not think I could ever go back to a 6 speed.
Can you type in the exact website. I have searched a little and found only PDK turbos Ss. I would trade my 997.1 for one if true. I know too, that once someone gets started with no shifting, one begins to relax and is easily drawn to that. I found that with my earlier Vette and always dreaded the day I left the manual trans. I would rather stay with the shifting, to me it gives the turbo a special identity with the car's potential....something the driver has absolute control of. And too, it keeps the wife and kids from wanting to drive it and end up no doubt smashing it up, maybe even killing themselves. That 6-speed rev-limiter gives a little protection to the lead foot syndrome.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by M5 Wheelman
I thought all the Turbo S cars had PDK? It's possible they made a few manuals if someone wanted one bad enough, but they would be a very small minority, if there even are any.
PDKs are the only option on the Turbo S.

I've had a Carrera and a Carrera 4S - both in manuals.

I have a PDK Turbo S and know I could never go back to a manual. It's just too fast

Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Original post updated with dealer website examples

Original post updated

Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC

Is this a true?

Here is an example from Pacific Porsche (So Cal)

http://pacific.porschedealer.com/new...94653/info.php

2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

<TABLE class=features><TBODY><TR class="importantFeature firstRow"><TH>VIN</TH><TD>***********773097</TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Stock ID</TH><TD></TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Mileage</TH><TD></TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Transmission </TH><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Exterior</TH><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Interior</TH><TD>Black Full Leather Interior </TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Engine</TH><TD></TD></TR><TR class=importantFeature><TH>Additional
Equipment

</TH><TD>686 - XM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver
635 - ParkAssist System (Rear)
342 - Heated Seats (Front)
XVY - Clothes Hook Seat Back Leather
XUX - Rear Seat Back Lever Leather
CDA - Air Vent Slats - Aluminum Look
XSB - Sport Seat Backrests Leather
XMZ - Center Console in Leather
XD9 - Wheels Paint in Exterior Color
XSC - Porsche Crest Emboss Headrest

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>And From The Auto Gallery website
<TABLE style="DISPLAY: block" id=searchTable class="normalTable extensive"><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S</TD><TD>Carrara White /
Black/SandBeigeFull LeatherInt

</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$168,895</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="alternate odd"><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Carrara White /
Black/Cream Full Leather Inter

</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$179,170</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Meteor Grey Metallic /
Sand Beige Full Leather Inter

</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$180,285</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="alternate odd"><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Guards Red /

</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$185,375</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Platinum Silver Metallic /
Natural Leather in Carrera Red

</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$176,030</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="alternate odd"><TD>2012</TD><TD>911 Turbo S Cabriolet</TD><TD>Carrara White /

</TD><TD>6-Speed Manual</TD><TD>$182,945</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I guess that is a massive typo, the PDK is 7speed with automanual. Wow, for $110K + clean, serviced and babied 997.1 turbo, you could get +50HP and PDK trans with little other change. Now that is a winner or is it

Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Better be a typo. The only reason why I didn't buy a turbo S was because it only came in PDK.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Chris
Better be a typo. The only reason why I didn't buy a turbo S was because it only came in PDK.
+1. I like rowing through gears myself, well, at least for now until the next 991 TTS generation...

Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
These Porsche strategists put a mandatory 6-speed manual in the GT2 and a mandatory 7-speed automanual PDK in the turbo S And now turbo S smokes the infamous GT2. Doesn't seem like a lot of common sense, but higher profits are in charge here somewhere..

Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I'm aware that was the case for a number of .2tt buyers out here too...dealer told me. Maybe P has responded to customer preference. To not have choice in a car like this was crazy from the start.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:19 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
I believe that the 3.6 block engine with twin turbo boosting 1.2 bar in 997.1 model will defiantly beat a 3.8 block engine with there turbos boosting 1.0 bar from the newer 997.2 model
the only advantage they have is the gear !
its a battle between tiptronic vs pdk which is very east to say pdk is faster
but other wise 3.6 smaller block boosting up to 1.2 is stronger than 3.8 bigger block and boosting less !

Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
These Porsche strategists put a mandatory 6-speed manual in the GT2 and a mandatory 7-speed automanual PDK in the turbo S And now turbo S smokes the infamous GT2. Doesn't seem like a lot of common sense, but higher profits are in charge here somewhere..
There is fast and then there is fun. Some have more fun rowing through the gears with a 3rd pedal. Needless to say the GT2 is faster on a circuit and thats what it was essentially designed to be. On the street it may be a different story though when put against a pdk turboS...but there is more to driving than just traffic light derbys. Its nice to have choice and thats where the current TTS misses out. Give me a 3rd pedal any day of the week.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
I'm aware that was the case for a number of .2tt buyers out here too...dealer told me. Maybe P has responded to customer preference. To not have choice in a car like this was crazy from the start.
Porsche is just pushing their new $5000 option merciliously down driver's throats. I can imagine $$$ coming in later when this "ivention" begins to fail.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
If you want a slower 6 speed car you can get a TT and check off all the options except the PDK.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
If you want a slower 6 speed car you can get a TT and check off all the options except the PDK.
Come on, the real-uprade is the turbo S, aside from that not enough diff from the 997.1 to 997.2 to warrant trading. They tell me the Turbo S from the 997.2 is nothing more than a flash upgrade for the +30 HP which for $2K could represent a huge savings, however with some probable neg-attaached warranty issues. Then accompanying the flash upgrade, maybe you could special order the "S" for the rear.

Last edited by johnww; 04-30-2011 at 08:35 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 Turbo S - 6 speed transmission