997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather Care/Treatment for Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I use this stuff....

http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...athercare.html

What I like about it is that it doesn't leave your seats "shiny" looking. Once it absorbs into the leather it leaves a really nice satin finish...so the seats just look clean...not greasy.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
I have tried so many products I can't tell you. Most are decent but I can't stand the greasy wet look so the ones I like best don't dry greasy but retain the satin look. For a leather cleaner you can't beat Zymol IMO. Be sure to wet the sponge and wring it out good before applying the cleaner to the sponge (its very concentrated). Afterwards don't let it dry but use a soft cloth to wipe it off. This will eliminate streak marks. The cleaner contains quite a bit of softners (mainly glycerin) and conditioners just by itself. 80% of the time thats all I use (too much conditioner is not good). For a leather conditioner I use Porsches product. It goes on shiny but dries with a satin finish. You also need to wipe it down with a cloth so it doesn't streak. I put a little extra on the creases and let it soak longer. There are a lot of good products out there like Swisswax, Zanio, Sonus and Griots. You can't beat the factories leather feel when new so expect a change in the texture once you start using these products. For that I wish I had waited awhile before appyling anything at all. One thing is very important: Do not put any conditioner on the dashboard. It is treated at the factory already with a product that resists cracking do to the extreme heat and sunlight it is exposed to. The leather itself is treated during the manufacturing process. Use a damp cloth with plain water and nothing that will affect or strip the chemicals. Its not the end of the world if you did (I did until my Porsche dealership advised me not to) so I am just passing this info along.

Last edited by gradyex; 05-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:08 AM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Leatherique for me

I have tried them all. As with many good hi-end products, it comes down to slight personal preferences. I was looking for a product that cleaned well (of course) but primarily one that would return the leather to as close to OEM in texture, shine (or rather lack thereof...that perfect matte look of the showroom) and smell as possible. Leatherique just knocks it out of the park for me...I do the wifey's MB, my son's Lex (Lexus has terrible leather IMO that wears and develops cracks/creases worse than most..and this stuff restores it to a really nice condition), my daily driver Hummer, and of course my M5 and the 997.1 TT. On my M5, the tri-color M stitching on the steering wheel comes out with restored vibrant color in the threads and looking better than new and the wheel itself is left with none of the shine/sheen that develops quickly from oils on your hand being transferred to the leather...it turns out perfectly matte just like when new--and has that perfect level of OEM "grip" restored.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I primarily use Zaino and have been pleased. About once a month I use a leather conditioner/preservative that I bought from the Harley shop. It's thick, appears to be lanolin-based and I apply it with my hands, really rub it into the leather and seams and let it absorb into the leather for a couple of days before removing with a soft cloth. Seems to eliminate the creases, protects from cracking, etc.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 AM
RED 997 is on a distinguished road
I also use Leatherique. Happy with the results.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM
msf
msf is on a distinguished road
I have been using Bick 4 for many years on almost all my leather with great results. It will keep your leather soft and clean for many years. I use a light cotton cloth to apply and I apply generously to clean and condition. I clean my steering wheel about every 3 weeks to keep that nice clean leather feel on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bickmore-10FPR108-Bick-Leather-Conditioner/dp/B001CS8G3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326053079&sr=8-1

Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
+1 for Lexol. Two step process. Cleaning and preserving.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
KPZL is on a distinguished road
I have used the leather care products from Porsche, sounds like a unique concept based on what I have been reading. I was also concerned with avoiding the glossy or armour all look. I can say that after a few days the seats looked like they did new.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Lanolin= no no

Again...it is all personal preference..but many of the products listed as favorites herein (typically those that come from companies that started in the ag/horse products arena) contain lanolin..which is a wax and actually "eats" or breaks down the fiber in leather and, probably more importantly, in the exposed stitching that is so critical to maintaining the OEM look and feel of the interior. If the main feature you are seeing is softening of the leather, it likely has lanolin, because breaking down the original leather fiber is how that is accomplished...not good long term in thinner leather typically used in cars but great for the thick leather in horse saddles and the like. Just my two cents.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Until you have used Leatherique it will be difficult to understand how clean, soft, and better than new you can make all the leather in your car. It takes quite a bit of time for the initial oil product to work (12-24 hours), but you'll never achieve the sense of accomplishment and appreciation you can with this product line like you can with any other.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM
++++1

Originally Posted by drsullivan
Until you have used Leatherique it will be difficult to understand how clean, soft, and better than new you can make all the leather in your car. It takes quite a bit of time for the initial oil product to work (12-24 hours), but you'll never achieve the sense of accomplishment and appreciation you can with this product line like you can with any other.
Agreed..the result is well worth the delayed gratification..because it will take your leather back to a place it has not been since it rolled out of the factory. For those seeking a wipe on, buff off product, Leatherique is not for you.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 AM
alvchua is on a distinguished road
Leatherique for me

+1 for Leatherique - I've used it over the years on my older BMWs and recently used it on my 997.1 TT - love the fact that it has a satin rather than glossy finish! I don't think it is any more labour intensive than most of the other products on the market!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Looked at their website...

So, which products do you use to:
1/ cleanse the leather (I have natural leather)
2/ protect and preserve

Website is not well maintained not does it really tells you what products to use for which purpose ( unless of course I am somewhat slow in the brain department).

Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hroussard
Looked at their website...

So, which products do you use to:
1/ cleanse the leather (I have natural leather)
2/ protect and preserve

Website is not well maintained not does it really tells you what products to use for which purpose ( unless of course I am somewhat slow in the brain department).
http://www.leatherique.com/serv02.htm

You can also use the Prestine Clean alone as a simple leather cleaner between in-depth cleaning/reconditioning.