997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help, under car rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
horbaljo is on a distinguished road
Help, under car rattle

Hello all,
I am having a problem with my new/used 997 Turbo. I bought the car with about 6000 miles on the clock and it is now up to about 10,900; so still a baby. I do have the extended warranty until 2012 and want to get this problem figured out soon so if it is something big, I’m not left with the total bill.

I brought the car in to the dealer the other week with two big problems:

1. There was a rattle in the center consul that sounded like a plastic washer rattling and came from some loose springs in the hand brake mechanism. They had to replace the whole mechanism with a newly engineered one from Porsche. So that was one problem fixed.
a. I just tell you all this because this was the first one they said was making this noise and wanted other people to know about it in case you are in the same place I was.

2. The second was what I thought was a bad AC compressor pump. There was a great deal of rattling when it was turned on. They compared it to another ’07 on the lot and mine seemed to be making more noise. They decided to replace the whole unit.
So now the new problem is that the rattling, that I thought was coming from the AC compressor, is still there. I need some of your expert opinions to see if what the dealer is telling me is the way I should go or not.

Here is what I can tell you:<O></O>
- The sound is a rattle that is heard the loudest under the car on the driver’s side right under the wheel.
- It is faintly there when the car is turned on but is amplified if the AC is turned on and the compressor engages.
- The sound total disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed and comes back when you let off of it.

My dealer said that it is probably the clutch and since it is a “wearable” item that my warranty will not cover it – replacement cost $4000. I don’t want to have to replace this whole thing if there could be a transmission problem and that the warranty would cover it.

Any thought?
Thanks!!!
Jonathan

Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by horbaljo
Hello all,
I am having a problem with my new/used 997 Turbo. I bought the car with about 6000 miles on the clock and it is now up to about 10,900; so still a baby. I do have the extended warranty until 2012 and want to get this problem figured out soon so if it is something big, I’m not left with the total bill.

I brought the car in to the dealer the other week with two big problems:

1. There was a rattle in the center consul that sounded like a plastic washer rattling and came from some loose springs in the hand brake mechanism. They had to replace the whole mechanism with a newly engineered one from Porsche. So that was one problem fixed.
a. I just tell you all this because this was the first one they said was making this noise and wanted other people to know about it in case you are in the same place I was.

2. The second was what I thought was a bad AC compressor pump. There was a great deal of rattling when it was turned on. They compared it to another ’07 on the lot and mine seemed to be making more noise. They decided to replace the whole unit.
So now the new problem is that the rattling, that I thought was coming from the AC compressor, is still there. I need some of your expert opinions to see if what the dealer is telling me is the way I should go or not.

Here is what I can tell you:<O></O>
- The sound is a rattle that is heard the loudest under the car on the driver’s side right under the wheel.
- It is faintly there when the car is turned on but is amplified if the AC is turned on and the compressor engages.
- The sound total disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed and comes back when you let off of it.

My dealer said that it is probably the clutch and since it is a “wearable” item that my warranty will not cover it – replacement cost $4000. I don’t want to have to replace this whole thing if there could be a transmission problem and that the warranty would cover it.

Any thought?
Thanks!!!
Jonathan

I am not very chanically adept but I have a similar issue on an M3 and it turned out to be the through out beaqring? Clutch in (depresed) no noise, in neutral clutch out released, rattling noise.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would first think throwout bearing also, surprising issue with 10k on the odo. But noises can really fool you tracing them down, I'd also look at any part that shares pentosin with the clutch, like the power steering. There have been some issues traced down to other parts that dissapear when clutch is depressed.

$4k to fix is a shame, you could go stage 2 at any good local shop for that price or less and get a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Make sure the dealer is replacing all of those on the quote. And make sure if it does not fix the noise you wont be liable.

I understand the clutch disk is a wear item but pressure plate and throwout bearing? i guess they are typically replaced at the same time.

Is this a CPO car? If so I would be asking for some serious assistance, i.e they pay parts you pay labor.