6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Tuning/exhaust 2008 997 turbo (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/254873-tuning-exhaust-2008-997-turbo.html)

john709 09-13-2011 02:30 AM

Tuning/exhaust 2008 997 turbo

Hi any help appreciated, loking at softronic do to being able to switch back and forth. Exhausts to many to choose?

gmoney 09-13-2011 08:05 AM

Im happy with my EVOMSit and Europipe 1 combo.

Neil Switzer 09-13-2011 08:17 AM

PM Sent..

w00zy 09-13-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by john709 (Post 3312884)
Hi any help appreciated, loking at softronic do to being able to switch back and forth. Exhausts to many to choose?

If you want to switch back and forth i think you have to choose an exhaust that won't throu a CEL when you have the stock flash.

I want to be able to do the same so i ordered the Europipe stage 1 exhaust.

john709 09-13-2011 05:40 PM

tunning/exhaust 2008 997 turbo

Thanks,

jfl91 09-13-2011 09:19 PM

FVD and Akrapovic! ;)

rix 09-14-2011 02:15 AM

Where are you guys ordering the Europipe Stage 1 from? I'm in the market myself and would appreciate some help getting a decent price.

w00zy 09-14-2011 02:33 AM

www.europipe.be

John H. 09-14-2011 02:51 AM

It would be a good post worthy of a sticky if all of the available tuning options for 997TTs were laid out with detailed information on each.

-OBD2 port loaded or loaded directly onto the ecu
-Description of the tuning program and what's modified
-Options of the tuning program - i.e. different maps for different fuels adjusting the boost and timing and stated levels for each.
-Options for personalized tuning based on different turbos or injectors w/o having to repurchase then entire program
-Option for personalized tuning at all. Having a cookie cutter tuning program for all cars isn't exactly smart or optimal especially when the end user isn't monitoring any of the car's systems.
-Price with additional or upgrade prices stated

It seems people here purchase their tuning program based on the name of the company and or some package named a numerical hp number without getting basic facts beforehand or verifying anything with an actual boost gauge wide-band, or egt gauge, injector duty cycle, etc...

Be nice to have detailed information on available TCU programs as well.

Exhausts aren't all equal either as I've read here. I've usually only seen reviews based on on sound or how the tips looked, not power increases or weight reduction/addition. If I had the chance to reduce weight from the rear of the car, I'd sure take that into consideration when purchasing an exhaust. Be nice to see an "Exhaust Shootout" with prices, weights, and hp/tq increases noted. Some of these systems are NOT worth what they're priced at.

John H

rix 09-14-2011 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by John H. (Post 3314005)
It would be a good post worthy of a sticky if all of the available tuning options for 997TTs were laid out with detailed information on each.

Exhausts aren't all equal either as I've read here. I've usually only seen reviews based on on sound or how the tips looked, not power increases or weight reduction/addition. If I had the chance to reduce weight from the rear of the car, I'd sure take that into consideration when purchasing an exhaust. Be nice to see an "Exhaust Shootout" with prices, weights, and hp/tq increases noted. Some of these systems are NOT worth what they're priced at.

John H

I would actually guess that MOST of these exhaust systems are NOT worth what they're priced at. :rolleyes:

orygunturbo 09-14-2011 08:33 PM

Never understood why people say "not worth what they are priced at". If people buy them at that price then that's their market value. It's that simple. What do you expect when you own an expensive european sports car. Why don't you just buy chinese junk and stop whining. I say stop supporting countries where child labor is abused and people work for basically a bowl of rice. It just puts more people out of work here.

levrac68 09-16-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by John H. (Post 3314005)

John H

Exhausts by themselves are more about sound and looks rather than the minimal HP/TQ gains that are registered. That's probably why most reviews on them are about just those two factors. If I'm correct, I believe it takes approx 100lbs to affect the 1/4 mile time by 1/10 of a sec. So the weight factor is a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Not to diminish the fact that 13lbs here and there saved does add up, but that's what it needs to do, add up with other weight saving changes.

sharkster 09-16-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by gmoney (Post 3313020)
Im happy with my EVOMSit and Europipe 1 combo.

That's the way to roll for sure:D

John H. 09-16-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by orygunturbo (Post 3314700)
Never understood why people say "not worth what they are priced at". If people buy them at that price then that's their market value. It's that simple. What do you expect when you own an expensive european sports car. Why don't you just buy chinese junk and stop whining. I say stop supporting countries where child labor is abused and people work for basically a bowl of rice. It just puts more people out of work here.

When you have collusion or price-fixing, a person's choice is either to own or not own the product. No one is whining and no one is buying Chinese junk. Child labor? lol wtf? Put into perspective, an exhaust made up of a few stainless steel pipes for this car costs more than my girlfriend's entire car is worth.

John H

John H. 09-16-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by levrac68 (Post 3316069)
Exhausts by themselves are more about sound and looks rather than the minimal HP/TQ gains that are registered. That's probably why most reviews on them are about just those two factors. If I'm correct, I believe it takes approx 100lbs to affect the 1/4 mile time by 1/10 of a sec. So the weight factor is a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Not to diminish the fact that 13lbs here and there saved does add up, but that's what it needs to do, add up with other weight saving changes.

Sound and looks? See... that's exactly what I was saying above. A proper free flowing exhaust system on a turbocharged vehicle is critical to hp/tq and large gains can be had - especially once you up the boost.

Weight factor isn't a small piece of the bigger puzzle, it's the other half of the power to weight ratio. P to W = P/W. Not to mention how it enhances handling and braking characteristics. You're right, it all adds up. I'd choose to lose 26lbs off the weight heavy rear of the car vs paying the same to not losing any in a part change. People pay big money to lose less than 26lbs in other areas. A 1/10th of a second is an entire car length in the 1/4 mile. I've lost national events by much less than that. Drop a 100lbs from your car and you'll notice it.

John H