997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCB pads for the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
cp supreme is on a distinguished road
PCCB pads for the track

I'm going to the track for the first time this Saturday. I was told I should be looking at about 4, 20 minute runs throughout the day. Am I good to go with the stock pads or should I have a set of track pads? I'm definitely going to be limited with how fast they allow me to drive given it's my first time so it only makes sense that I wont be braking too hard either. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Track pads, by definition, are more aggressive than oem pads; i.e., they are more abrasive on the rotors to get the greater initial bite and improved coefficient of friction. However, with replacement pccb rotors going for more than $15,000 a set, you either need to be careful what you wish for or have an almost unlimited budget. A lot of track guys will replace their pccb's with a standard steel setup to avoid this problem. Ceramics won't stop you any faster either, they just weigh less which is helpful if you are a competitive racer; usually one racing on someone else's nickle. Your setup is fine for a few DE's but if you get into it seriously and/or really start using those brakes to their full potential, you may want to consider a less expensive alternative to replacing the rotors at some point. Have fun!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
If you are talking about running PCCB pads on the steel rotors, then you are on the right track. That is a great upgrade for braking performance, but be aware that your rotors will wear out quicker and do yourself a favor and let an expert seat the pads when first installed.

I think your stock pads and rotors will be fine if you do not push the car too much on the track. If you have not done much track time, you'll be surprised how much you will use your brakes the first few sessions!

HOWEVER, if you running the stock brake fluid, make sure you have it changed to a race spec one as the stock fluid WILL BOIL very quickly on the track given the temperatures around NY at this point.

I am assuming that given that you are in in NY, you will either go to Lime Rock, NJMSP, Monticello or Poconos. For any of those tracks do yourself a favor and change the fluid before going on the track. There is nothing more unnerving that having the fluid boil, because when you put your foot on the brake pedal there WILL BE NOTHING.

Let me know if you have any questions and have fun.

Cheers.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 512bb
If you are talking about running PCCB pads on the steel rotors, then you are on the right track. That is a great upgrade for braking performance, but be aware that your rotors will wear out quicker and do yourself a favor and let an expert seat the pads when first installed.

I think your stock pads and rotors will be fine if you do not push the car too much on the track. If you have not done much track time, you'll be surprised how much you will use your brakes the first few sessions!

HOWEVER, if you running the stock brake fluid, make sure you have it changed to a race spec one as the stock fluid WILL BOIL very quickly on the track given the temperatures around NY at this point.

I am assuming that given that you are in in NY, you will either go to Lime Rock, NJMSP, Monticello or Poconos. For any of those tracks do yourself a favor and change the fluid before going on the track. There is nothing more unnerving that having the fluid boil, because when you put your foot on the brake pedal there WILL BE NOTHING.

Let me know if you have any questions and have fun.

Cheers.
Ceramic pads on steel rotors? Pray tell, do tell more. Will these improve oem steel braking performance? What about the bedding in procedure? Thanks,

Last edited by Steamboat; 07-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
You are more than fine with your stock pads. If this is your 1st time on track you will not come anywhere near what these brakes are capable of.

As mentioned a "track" pad will destroy your rotors. When I sold my 997TT for a dedicated track car I had 67,000 miles on my pccb's with some track time and the rotors were pristine. I was (am) a big believer in changing the pads when they hit 50% wear. A small price to pay considering what the pccb rotors cost.

I agree that changing the brake fluid (especially if it's been a while) will be a good idea.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
My recommendation will be the same as what E55AMG says given that you will be tracking for the first time. If you do get a chance, change your brake fluid.

I am going with the PCCB pads on my steel rotors as the next upgrade and will be working with TPC Racing to get that upgrade done (as I will be doing some additional suspension work). I am leaving the bedding process to TPC as I am sure Mike Levitas (owner/engineer) has his way of bedding them and I trust him on that.

Since I have not done the change, I am not sure of the bedding procedure, but I am going to take a wild guess and say that it will probably require 2-3 hard braking stops (or near stops) from high speeds (my guess 70-90 MPH) in order for the pads to get an initial wear pattern that mimics the wear pattern on the rotors. However, as I said I am guessing here. Will let you know if I find out anything additional.

BTW, when are you going to which track?

Cheers.