997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2007 997 turbo dme report (need help reading, any concerns?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM
daveOOO is on a distinguished road
This lease car was auctioned off by Porsche financial. It went through the line for porsche dealers to bid on, they passed, it was purchased by a non-Porsche dealer(a "family dealership") for resale, so no CPO.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by daveOOO
This lease car was auctioned off by Porsche financial. It went through the line for porsche dealers to bid on, they passed, it was purchased by a non-Porsche dealer(a "family dealership") for resale, so no CPO.
I am sure the dealers didn't pass on the car 'coz of the over revs though? There's got to be more to the story

Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
It's a pass for me. Why risk it?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
L_Perm will become famous soon enoughL_Perm will become famous soon enough
If it were me, I would pass too. One of my primary criteria was no leased vehicles. I don't have empirical evidence, though it may exist out there somewhere, but I feel like a person who knows they're only going to have a car for a relatively short, defined amount of time, and the terms at the end of that time are set from the beginning, will not take care of the vehicle as well on average. I believe pre-owned programs have arisen out of the need to dress up the reputation of leased vehicles. The price would have to be highly discounted for me to consider one WITH a CPO.

As for the other evidence, I might guess that the previous person ran a tune that raised the rev limit and an aftermarket air filter that was improperly oiled, hence the double MAF failure. Evidence of a tune is something Porsche would be able to find, which may explain the lack of Porsche dealer interest.

Given all the evidence, I would assume (knowing I could be wrong) this is a car that was tuned and dogged from the first week of the lease. It is entirely possible that--even if my assumption is correct--the car is in as good a shape as any other of the same age and mileage. But, being my risk averse self, I would not take that chance unless the car was dirt cheap.

LP

Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I would buy it in a heartbeat if the price is right and it is the car you want. I went through this with my GT2. It had a similar amount of range 4 & 5 over revs and about a similar time span from when they happened. I talked to the service manager at my dealership where I have purchased over 20 Porsches since my first in 1979. My GT2 is one of the few I have purchased used and not from them. He said absolutely don't worry about it. The ONLY time it would come into play is when I sell it and a potential purchaser would worry about the revs. I told him it wouldn't be my problem as more than likely it would be traded with them.

Last edited by imcarnuts; 09-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
I just looked at the link and the car seems to be priced well given the options, miles and condition. If you love the color combo and options then I would really consider it, just make sure you get a full 3 year extended warranty if you decide to buy.

BTW no used car is perfect, in fact with these cars if you look hard enough you will find pretty much something on the fringe with almost any used TT to justify walking away, like a few over revs in the 4 range, incomplete maintenance history, painted panel from being keyed , thin paint in some areas from too much polishing, too much road rash, repainted bumper to repair said road rash, too many miles, not enough miles, etc. Any one of these is a reason to walk away and many folks here will say there are better cars out there but the perfect used TT with NO issues is difficult to come by.

I wouldn't buy any used 911 TT without a CPO warranty or 3 yr extended warranty regardless of the condition. Best case scenario you spend the $2000-$3000 for the warranty and never need it, worse case scenario you buy a nightmare and are covered on the downside with the warranty

I'm not recommending you buy this particular car, just recommending you don't torture yourself with trying to find perfection and getting your perspective calibrated to accept that a used $70K-$80K car is going to come with history

good luck, let us know what you decide
Art

Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
I personally would pass on this car. Even in light of the overevs, it's a higher mileage turbo with pccbs that may need replacing soon. I picked up a nearly identical car (gt sliver, pccbs, etc) but with only 6k miles and I paid slightly more than their asking price. With the winter time coming, there will be good deals out there.

Edwin

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
The car has sold, let me know if you guys hear of any other good deals, thanks, d

Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by daveOOO
The car has sold, let me know if you guys hear of any other good deals, thanks, d
There's always a reason behind a good deal Edwin probably got lucky with his purchase which doesn't dictate the market.

There's always a compromise when ever you are buy a used car or else pay the premium and buy an ultra low miealge car and even then there's no surity you will get a good car.

Low mileage doesn't necessarily mean the car is in great condition though.

GLWS (search)

Last edited by quick; 09-19-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quick
There's always a reason behind a good deal Edwin probably got lucky with his purchase which doesn't dictate the market.

There's always a compromise when ever you are buying a used car or else pay the premium and buy ultra low miealge car and even then you are not sure how the car was treated.

Low mileage doesn't always mean the car is in perfect condition.

GLWS (search)
agreed, Edwin got an amazing deal, low mileage TT with PCCBs are running well over $80K. Multiple factors have to line up for that kind of deal to emerge, e.g. desperate seller, living in a rural area with limited car enthusiasts who just got divorced and needs to sell the car as part of the settlement with X wife and an out of state buyer willing to come in and "save" him

Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Baker19 will become famous soon enough
Thoughts on DEM Report from PPI Inspection

I'm resurrecting an old thread here that I found helpful and could use some input from the resident experts out there. I found a 2007 997 turbo I am interested in with miles in the mid 20K range. It has a few mods on it including a tune. All stock internals. I had the Porsche dealer do a PPI inspection for me and other than a few typical small maintenance items, it checked out OK. I also had them run a DME report and that however raised some potential concerns to me based on the information in this and other threads her and on Rennlist I reviewed. The report is as follows:

Range 1 over-revs 24,286 last time at operating hours of 1327
Range 2 over-revs 6,431 last time at operating hours of 1327
Range 3 over-revs 2,394 last time at operating hours of 1327
Range 4 over-revs 981 last time at operating hours of 1326
Range 5 over-revs 10 last time at operating hours of 1267
No Range 6 over-revs

According to the Motor Over-Speed Ignition Ranges from Porsche, Range 1 is 6,800 - 7,000 RPM, Range 2 is 7,000 - 7,200 RPM, Range 3 is 7,200 - 7,400 RPM, Range 4 is 7,400 - 7,900, Range 5 is 7,900 - 9,000 RPM and Range 6 is above 9,000.

The redline is 6,750 RPM from the factory and the over-revs are defined 50 RPM about that starting in Range 1. The rev limited is set 500 RPM above that. Nearly all cars will have some range 1 and range 2 over-revs. This car appears to have been driving very hard up to and often exceeding the redline frequently. From my understanding, a flash tune can increase the redline somewhat but I'm frankly not sure how much. The DME report here has me concerned and I would greatly appreciate if those experts out there could chime in on this for me. I'm in a holding pattern until I become a bit more educated about this. It is not a CPO car and while the Porsche tech said the car is running very strong, I'm concerned about the high frequency of over-revs and also obviously those in the upper ranges. While 10 ignitions is immaterial, there were 10 ignitions at range 5 which could have been anywhere from 7,900 - 9000 RPM, significantly in excess of the redline. I've seen and heard others say that they would pass on cars with any ignition readings above Range 3 and others I have looked at have 10% of these readings in Ranges 1-2 and none after that.

Any insightful advice / guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Baker19; 04-09-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Guybrush is on a distinguished road
You need to find out the total running hours of the engine. Over rev problems manifest themselves typically within last 100 hours counting from the over rev occured. However your engine over rev data is not good at all. If this car has more than 1500 hours you might be safe with this one. There are better ones to be found. If the car meets your requirements concerning mileage, options, price etc, the total hours vs over rev hours would break the deal for me. +100 hours after over revs with no engine problems = worth of buying.

Last edited by Guybrush; 04-15-2016 at 12:18 PM.