997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911tuning custom exhaust w/pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Well I'm after the noise level etc. 2 cans are very loud. Most clients want the wife to be able to talk to you while driving lol
On a serious note. We just made 920rwp on this same set up without cats with 4 cans on our own 997.
With that said, I don't think there is a disadvantage running 4 cans over 2. Yet Not all X are the same. Ours is actually 3" on the inside.
Regards
Markski

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-18-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Beautiful product, especially those tips. Would be great to see the look of the tips on some cars. Good price point as well. I'll probably be calling you.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Thanks

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 PM
strato58 is infamous around these parts
Mine should be done any minute now....i hope. Just waiting on the ceramic coated tips.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
here are the ceramic coated tips...

click to view

Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Well I'm after the noise level etc. 2 cans are very loud. Most clients want the wife to be able to talk to you while driving lol
On a serious note. We just made 920rwp on this same set up without cats with 4 cans on our own 997.
With that said, I don't think there is a disadvantage running 4 cans over 2. Yet Not all X are the same. Ours is actually 3" on the inside.
Regards
Markski
Hi, very nice work. I've heard many good things about your work and hope you will achieve continued success!

I've always wondered why some designers choose the X design (you and GMG are two, I think), and some stay with the 2 cans approach with a connecting pipe (pic enclosed of the exhaust currently in my car). If I may ask a few questions please.

1. Why do both designs need to cross one side to the other - is there a problem with keeping the 2 sides separated?
2. Could you explain why you chose the X design? What are the advantages - does the X-design allow better flow? Any disadvantages?
3. Is one design inherently louder than the other? TIA

Last edited by cannga; 10-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
the lower pic is NOT a X design. that is a standard common 2 muffler set up that does not cross in middle.. that "ball" in middle is just that... which connects to the other side... but does not have anything to do with the air flow... that's what keeps the mufflers together...

I personally had various exhaust over the years on our cars... long before I even was business... with that said, I set out to build what I liked- specifically the sound was what I was after. I experimented with off the shelf mufflers (which I do offer at a cheaper price) but ultimately the custom mufflers we make from scratch in house is what I ended up with as the flag ship of our X design. I play wither OD , the ID, the type of core inside, and even the chose of the packing material- steel wool or a patent pending material I prefer
I actually can make 2.5" ID or 3" or a combo of both... which is the medium version sounding one...
I think the advantage is that it really sounds different... unlike the one you posted which is the most common version... however, making 920whp on our 997 with 4 mufflers (caltess) should be a some relief that our exhaust does hold up to power. GMG is a nice system... very nice X... they use burn stainless mufflers.... high quality...
but it is loud... I know because my friend has it on his 997 gt2. Most clients want it both ways... NO drone( a myth), 800 whp capable, quite in cabin like OEM, loud at WOT, etc lol never going to happen in the real world which is why I discuss the build at length with the client prior to the build....
markski

click to view

Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
GMG is a nice system... very nice X... they use burn stainless mufflers.... high quality...
but it is loud... I know because my friend has it on his 997 gt2. Most clients want it both ways... NO drone( a myth), 800 whp capable, quite in cabin like OEM, loud at WOT, etc lol never going to happen in the real world which is why I discuss the build at length with the client prior to the build....
markski

Just curious, are you saying your's is quieter than the GMG? (It certainly could be, given that your system as pictured has mufflers before and after the X, and the GMG is only before).

I just installed a GMG, and I'm pretty happy with it, although it does drone a touch. (pretty mellow overall, though!) I'd say it's barely louder than my Milltek and about the same as my AWE (both of which are not X designs... both allow some airflow from can to can, but neither are setup as an X.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by kitw
Just curious, are you saying your's is quieter than the GMG? (It certainly could be, given that your system as pictured has mufflers before and after the X, and the GMG is only before).

I just installed a GMG, and I'm pretty happy with it, although it does drone a touch. (pretty mellow overall, though!) I'd say it's barely louder than my Milltek and about the same as my AWE (both of which are not X designs... both allow some airflow from can to can, but neither are setup as an X.
Its a great unit but sound levels are subjective. I had one client that said his 2.5" ID X exhaust with 200 cell cats was too loud... then another one said the full 3" catless set up was too quiet...
with that said, in my honest opinion, I would never make a 2 muffler set up and sell it to someone that wants a subdued good sounding exhaust.. again, this is my opinion... my goal is to figure out what the client wants and make it for him... as not all systems are the same...

click to view

Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
I should be getting my xpipes sport system catless next week :-)

Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I should be getting my xpipes sport system catless next week :-)
Trust me ,
You will like it

Good luck .. !

Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ysfg35

Trust me ,
You will like it

Good luck .. !

You recommended to me!!!

I hope you well my friend

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I still love my 3" exhaust from 911 tuning after a few years of ownership.

Mark makes some good stuff.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I still love my 3" exhaust from 911 tuning after a few years of ownership.

Mark makes some good stuff.
Nice! i'm getting my sometime next week, i will post videos and i probably going to take it to the Dynno

Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 AM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
I just read a thread about you building a custom Y pipe for a guy

now I see you built a super duper exhaust with like 20 mufflers!!!!

I feel like a red headed step child.

Markski, you don't send me flowers anymore.

I'm calling Neil Switzer from now on

J/k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 911tuning custom exhaust w/pics