997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Discussed before but not clear: Normal Boost values?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by djben
Just curious, did you read my post at all in in this thread?

I gave you a definitive answer.

yes I did, but just went back...there's lots of noise in this thread!!
After reading it again, yes your answer seems to be the right one, sort of got lost with some of the others.

And I think, my boost IS 14 going to 17 just the scale is wrong for the reasons you say!

Thanks

Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Hopefully I can shed some light on the boost discrepancies that each model year cars have. For the 997.1 turbo and the 997.2 turbo, the boost gauge displays a "programmed value" and does not correlate to the actual manifold pressure. Porsche started this "programmed" boost gauge after having many customer service questions on the 996TT which showed "actual boost" (not programed).

The 996TT was reading the actual and accurate boost pressure in the Y-pipe before the throttle body. The problem was that when the throttle body closed rapidly, the boost gauge would show an arbitrarily high boost reading on the gauge due to the high pressure in the Y-pipe before the boost was recirculated by the diverter valves. Some customers would complain on stock vehicles that they were seeing 1.6 bar of boost when they were modulating in and out of boost.

When the 997.1TT was released in 2007, this was the end of a real boost gauge that showed an accurate reading It is programed to show 14psi (1.0 bar) in non sport mode and 18psi (1.22 bar) in sport mode. Although the car may or may bot be making this boost level, this is what the gauge will read. In some of our software calibrations, we will run 20-23 PSI of boost in both sport and non sport mode and the OEM boost gauge will only display 14psi (1.0 bar) in non sport mode and 18psi (1.22 bar) in sport mode.

For the 997.2TT, this is again a programmed boost gauge. It has very little to do with the actual boost pressure in the manifold. Since the 997.2TT has a TQ based ECU, boost pressure is only related to the programmed TQ value. If you were to put an external boost gauge on a 997.2TT, stock or modified, you would be surprised how the boost curve actually looks compared to what the OEM boost gauge is displaying. Typically, the boost will spike up at 14 psi, drop to 10 psi in the mid range, then slowly climb up to about 12 psi by redline.

Bottom line, the only way to accurately monitor and see the actual boost on the 997.1TT and 997.2TT is to install an external manifold pressure boost gauge. I hope this helps with some of the questions.
Fantastic. Can you confirm though that a bone stock 997.1 is supposed to have a bar gauge of 0-18?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tomb18
Fantastic. Can you confirm though that a bone stock 997.1 is supposed to have a bar gauge of 0-18?
dude, you're kidding right? honestly you've gotten so many direct answers.

One more time

stock 997.1 w/sports chrono, analog boost gauge displays 0-18

if you have the sports chrono function and displaying 0-14 then your ECU needs to be adjusted by the dealer. take it to the dealer and have it cleared up

Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Wait a minute! (I love this thread BTW, I've been perplexed as well). I have gone into overboost a number of times and have also found that the boost arrow appears on the bar chart and on the digital psi reading. "If you go over that" - suggests that overboost is going over 14 or 17 psi. I've been in overboost and seen readings well below the max, i.e. arrow is on the right, but the boost reading is below the max. In running boost, I've also found that the power seems to spool up faster than the guage does. I wonder if the psi reading is somewhat delayed and inaccurate.

I have a '08 and my readout bar goes to 9 then 18 - all the time. You will only see the overboost arrow with the Sport button on - exactly how it works on my car.
The arrow only indicates your car has activated overboost mode.

It means your boost is increased higher than what it is normally for a given speed and RPM.

Only when your ECU is going for it's maximum boost (which doesn't happen at every given engine RPM/speed) would you see it hit 17 PSI.

Just applying my IT / engineering background here

Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djben
The arrow only indicates your car has activated overboost mode.

It means your boost is increased higher than what it is normally for a given speed and RPM.

Only when your ECU is going for it's maximum boost (which doesn't happen at every given engine RPM/speed) would you see it hit 17 PSI.

Just applying my IT / engineering background here
I thought the same as well. However, the miscommunication seems all over! I haven't really "seen" the 18 psi in the overboost modes when the arrow has been on, but I don't take it to mean much. When the boost kicks in, the car moves with such a rush - the car is such a blast to drive! I drove a 991S and there was no comparison. Once you drive a turbo, there's no turning back!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Get yourself a durametric cable. You will be able to see requested boost and actual boost. Before I flashed my car, I could never peg the dial on the dash. Boost is not just a function of your programmed ecu but also the hardware on your car.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by aa909
dude, you're kidding right? honestly you've gotten so many direct answers.

One more time

stock 997.1 w/sports chrono, analog boost gauge displays 0-18

if you have the sports chrono function and displaying 0-14 then your ECU needs to be adjusted by the dealer. take it to the dealer and have it cleared up
Oops....too much beer...

Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
When the 997.1TT was released in 2007, this was the end of a real boost gauge that showed an accurate reading It is programed to show 14psi (1.0 bar) in non sport mode and 18psi (1.22 bar) in sport mode. ... the OEM boost gauge will only display 14psi (1.0 bar) in non sport mode and 18psi (1.22 bar) in sport mode.

For the 997.2TT, this is again a programmed boost gauge. It has very little to do with the actual boost pressure in the manifold.
I am not trying to use the gauge for accuracy. I just want to make sure everything is properly configured on my car so I still have a question which is am I to assume the portion in bold above applies to the mk2 as well and if so, why does my particular car (mk2) seem to show 14psi in both non-sport and sport modes? And why does aa909's car (mk1) show 18psi in both non-sport and sport modes? I assume my car has been programmed that way, in my case by my EVO ECU flash? Just curious as again I'm not being **** about the reading.. just want to know the OBC is working properly.

Last edited by Zero911; 03-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2007 6MT with sports crono, boost gauge goes to 17(18)psi

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Stock 07TT with Sport chrono, scale goes to 18 but i never see above 14, hmmmmm

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bobolouie
Stock 07TT with Sport chrono, scale goes to 18 but i never see above 14, hmmmmm
Not even more than 14 when in Sport Mode?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Yes.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobolouie
Yes.
Try:

Sport mode, 4th gear, pull from 70-90+

If you don't see 17 psi then it is my non-expert opinion that something is wrong

Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I've found that I don't get max boost unless the car is really warmed up. True for others?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I've found that I don't get max boost unless the car is really warmed up. True for others?
I really never push the car hard on throttle or past 4000 rpm until the oil temp is at least 175+ F so I don't know if full over boost is available before the engine is fully warmed up. I'm no expert but probably not a great idea to push it hard before the engine is fully warm anyway

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Discussed before but not clear: Normal Boost values?