997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Adding HP to 997 TT Tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
total_noob is on a distinguished road
Adding HP to 997 TT Tip

I have a 2008 997 turbo tiptronic cab that I'd like to add more horsepower to without needing to upgrade the transmission.

So far all I've done is upgraded to the 82mm IPD plenum fitted with a factory 997 GT3 82mm Porsche throttle body. My next thought is to flash the ECU, then exhaust, then be done.

How much power can be safely added without damaging the stock transmission?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Safe your money this car only needs a nice exhaust and a good tuner

Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
The 997.1 TT can handle 700 hp or more with the Erich transition, I don't think you will damage the transition by adding 20 or 30 more HP

Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
I would reccomend you look at my latest thread, It will give you an idea of performance gains vs mods. I have not dynoed my car yet but im assuming I am somewhere around 500-520WHP.

Goodluck

Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
I have highly modded 08 tip-I think you are several thousand $$ away from hurting the trans. I doubt if that new plenum will do much. Call a tuner (ie Tom at Champion) and get a plan. Most agree you start with the exhaust and tune-there are lots of nice choices out there...good luck james

Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Fugazi will become famous soon enoughFugazi will become famous soon enough
I, just finished a thread on this Topic I have 07 Tip. Here's what I was told when I wanted to upgrade to a VTG Switzer 600-650kit I would have future problems because their would be to much Torque. The kit was about $11,000 W/labor Tranny upgrade $5-$8,000 not worth the $$$. So I'm just getting ECU,TCU,Exhaust to be on the safe side. It's tuff because here on the Forms everyone has their OWN opinions!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Fugazi will become famous soon enoughFugazi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Forujames
I have highly modded 08 tip-I think you are several thousand $$ away from hurting the trans. I doubt if that new plenum will do much. Call a tuner (ie Tom at Champion) and get a plan. Most agree you start with the exhaust and tune-there are lots of nice choices out there...good luck james
How many Miles do you have on your Tip?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
We've done tons of tiptronic turbos here and have a very simple formula that we follow, which goes along with our two turbo upgrade options.

Our 65mm VTG's will work perfectly with a stock transmission because they deliver 585-600 WHP on pump gas (615-ish on race). That power level is perfectly safe for the tiptronic. We've done this time and time again, and I even have several local customers with well over 15-20k miles on their cars without any issues. One of them even tracks the car regularly.

With our 68mm VTG's, power can be anywhere from 650 WHP to 800+ WHP. At that level, the upgraded tiptronic is HIGHLY recommended!

So to simplify it, this is the general rule of thumb to go by:
  • Up to 620 whp -- Stock tiptronic.
  • Over 620-650 whp -- Upgrade time.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Originally Posted by fugazi
how many miles do you have on your tip?