6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Rear Uneven ride height HELP!! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/309293-rear-uneven-ride-height-help.html)

clarky999999 06-01-2013 02:18 AM

Rear Uneven ride height HELP!!

I have a 2008 997 Turbo and just installed eibach lowered springs all round. It has had the geometry set.

The car now sits lower at the rear on the drivers side. I have taken the springs / shocks off and measured them to which they exactly the same. I have also sided them but it still sits lower on the drivers side (RHD)

Does anyone one have any ideas PLEASE!! :))

egreaves20 06-01-2013 05:53 AM

That happens often with aftermarket springs. I had multiple sets of H&R and Eibach and there was always 1 corner that was 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch too high or too low. Likely nobody else but you would notice this.

clarky999999 06-01-2013 06:31 AM

Thanks for the response, I understand what you are saying but I have swapped the springs from one side to another and it is still the same. I'd it was the spring surely it would be higher on the other side?

TT Surgeon 06-01-2013 08:43 AM

Drive it over a lot if bumpy areas, after a couple of days all the springs should settle. I've seen a 1/4" change all around after two weeks.

clarky999999 06-01-2013 10:28 AM

I have been driving it for over a month and its still the same. Thanks anyway.

slawek 06-01-2013 10:53 AM

first with the car siting on for wheels check if there no tension on ether side of tension bar if there is you may need adjustable lowering links , next look on the bolts that adjust rear camber left and right and check if they are in the same position ,sometime shop doing alignment may set rear camber the wrong way and this may make one side to be higher .also make sure thee was no paint and body work on right rear panel.Last measure your car height under- from grunt to rear frame-sometime the car is uneven at the fender height and perfectly even and strait when measured under

clarky999999 06-01-2013 11:13 AM

Slawek,

Thanks for the reply, when you say the tension bar do you mean the anti roll bar. Sorry if I sound thick!

Jako 06-01-2013 11:51 AM

Are you sure prior to the installation of the springs the ride hight was already lower on the driver side? If does seem odd that the driver side would remain lower with the springs swapped. One other way to test it is to put back the oem springs and see what happens.

Or I think you might be able to install a spacer on the bottom perch to raise it? I would check with a suspension shop before you try that though

clarky999999 06-01-2013 12:32 PM

I didn't notice it with the oem springs as it was so high! When the springs were off the car the suspension on the side which sits higher hung lower. Almost like the arms were different lengths but I can't see how that would be possible?

TT Surgeon 06-01-2013 12:50 PM

The rear sway bar act like a torsion bar and can affect ride ht if binding up at all. Remember, older Porsches only had torsion bars, no springs whatsoever, setting ride ht was simply adjusting tension on the bar....ahh the good old days!
Also, be sure your rear springs have matching part numbers, eilbach makes two different lowering springs for the 997tt, the us version drops you 20, the tuv version only drops 15mm in the rear.
GL

clarky999999 06-01-2013 01:17 PM

I tried disconnecting the sway / anti roll bar which had no affect. The part numbers are the same for each rear spring.

slawek 06-01-2013 02:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by clarky999999 (Post 3862074)
Slawek,

Thanks for the reply, when you say the tension bar do you mean the anti roll bar. Sorry if I sound thick!

yeah i was thinking of anti roll bar,make sure your front is set properly .911 after lowering are very sensitive to any hit differences.
If all is ok i would look again at the installation and see that everything is set in correctly.

cannga 06-02-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by clarky999999 (Post 3862102)
I didn't notice it with the oem springs as it was so high! When the springs were off the car the suspension on the side which sits higher hung lower. Almost like the arms were different lengthsbut I can't see how that would be possible?

1. Would you please post the measurement numbers? What are your measurements at each corner? What difference are we talking about?

2. If you haven't done it yet - please measure the ride height this way on post #187: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-turbo-13.html . This is the correct way to measure and it gives everyone a common frame of reference. (Don't post fender to ground measurements; please measure chassis to ground as in that thread first, then post here.)

3. Who did the spring install - an experienced pro? What did he say about the above and the end result?

4. The ride height at each corner may not be exactly the same - there could be very slight variation. In fact when tuners corner balance they vary the height such that weight of left rear+ right front = right rear + left front. I do not know if there is maximum difference beyond which something is wrong, but I know all corner ride heights may not be exactly same (with driver sit in car vs. out of car for example). But here, I assume there is a big difference?

5. Someone with a physics degree :p or any pro/expert please correct me if I am wrong: this car being a rectangular shape (of course), assuming the right front and left rear have equal measurements, if your right rear sags, the left front will rise up in the air, no? I hope I am making sense here and not give everyone a headache LOL. This is why I think it would help to have measurements at all 4 corners.

TT Surgeon 06-02-2013 09:24 AM

10mm variation per corner is within spec for ride ht on a 997.

clarky999999 06-02-2013 01:39 PM

Cannga,

Thanks for the details response.

I will measure it tomorrow. Imdidmthe installation with my friend who is a technician at OPC and used to be my race engineer in Carrera Cup. He was the one who took them back off and swapped them side to side.

There is a big difference at the back to the extent that the higher side looks like the wheel sticks out more even though the cambers are correct.