997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 Turbo COBB Tune (dyno numbers)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
I want to make sure I understand correctly:

1) Most tuners produce a bump of 50+rwhp with their tune over a factory stock one and regardless of the tuner, most of the usual suspects seem to deliver on this.

2) The Cobb tune produces a bump of 50+rwhp over the TUNER's tune with the same mods/fuel/dyno/correction factor?

So essentially the Cobb tune delivers TWICE the net hp increase over other well respected Tuner's tunes?

Wow...

Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Streetgear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by webcarconnection
that's also a good compare... I have vbox too, will do some runs on the weekend
That would be cool would love to see what it did. Please post results...

BTW how did you get on the Cobb's development program I am jealous Can I join?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Stage7
I want to make sure I understand correctly:

1) Most tuners produce a bump of 50+rwhp with their tune over a factory stock one and regardless of the tuner, most of the usual suspects seem to deliver on this.

2) The Cobb tune produces a bump of 50+rwhp over the TUNER's tune with the same mods/fuel/dyno/correction factor?

So essentially the Cobb tune delivers TWICE the net hp increase over other well respected Tuner's tunes?

Wow...
I have tuned my own cars and others for years and really there no secret here. It boils down to how hard you want to push your motor. There is only a few factor at play here (Timing, boost and AFR) and playing with those factors will give you more power. Tuner A may be a little conservative, Tuner B may push harder meaning more boost, more timing and probably sightly leaner. I guess it is up to each person how much you want to live on the edge

Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Streetgear
That would be cool would love to see what it did. Please post results...

BTW how did you get on the Cobb's development program I am jealous Can I join?
Sure, will do...

The COBB Tune for the .2 will release on May 12, if you have a Pro tuner near by you can get a custom tune also

Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I have tuned my own cars and others for years and really there no secret here. It boils down to how hard you want to push your motor. There is only a few factor at play here (Timing, boost and AFR) and playing with those factors will give you more power. Tuner A may be a little conservative, Tuner B may push harder meaning more boost, more timing and probably sightly leaner. I guess it is up to each person how much you want to live on the edge
Not to take anything away from Cobb's accomplishments here, but this statement isn't entirely true. There are a few more factors at play on the DFI and PDK platform 997.2 Turbo cars then just timing, boost, and AFR. It's infinitely more complicated because of many restrictions Porsche has built into the car. There are tuners who've gone beyond what Cobb has done here (well, one in particular ), and quite safely. But again..that's another thread.

Kudos to Cobb in this one.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Not to take anything away from Cobb's accomplishments here, but this statement isn't entirely true. There are a few more factors at play on the DFI and PDK platform 997.2 Turbo cars then just timing, boost, and AFR. It's infinitely more complicated because of many restrictions Porsche has built into the car. There are tuners who've gone beyond what Cobb has done here (well, one in particular ), and quite safely. But again..that's another thread.

Yes you are right... of course you need to deal with the restrictions which allows for Timing, boost and AFR to be adjusted without the ECU pulling power

Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Banned
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Yes, COBB is just beginning with the .2... after the release is when the magic will begin

Old 05-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes, COBB is just beginning with the .2... after the release is when the magic will begin
My prediction is all the top tuners will eventually switch their tune to the cobbs format. If they do for Porsche what they did for the GTR we have some fun coming...

Old 05-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned
My prediction is all the top tuners will eventually switch their tune to the cobbs format. If they do for Porsche what they did for the GTR we have some fun coming...
Agree 100% they did magic to my Alpha 10 GTR... Other thing is that this is the new version AP, the graphics on the little monitor are spectacular

Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion

That will be cool, compare a COBB costum tune when is 100% ready vs Giac stage 1 and stage 2 (9 sec tune)

One of my goals is make 600+whp with the IC's and COBB retune (nothing against Giac) but I bet I can make more power than the 9 sec file... Hell maybe I go with Champion IC's and make it more interesting

Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
The 997.2 turbos are a little bigger than the 997.1, so it should be possible to get ~600whp on a Mustang out of them.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Banned
Yes I hope so... Correct me if I wrong but the only tune that can make 600whp with stock turbos is GIAC (9 sec file) right?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Yes I hope so... Correct me if I wrong but the only tune that can make 600whp with stock turbos is GIAC (9 sec file) right?
You could probably get a little over with E85. Mine makes just shy of 600 (590ish) on E85. I don't recall exactly what GIAC/Champion claim for their flash, but they are running them on a Dynojet so their numbers will be higher.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by rix
The 997.2 turbos are a little bigger than the 997.1, so it should be possible to get ~600whp on a Mustang out of them.

The only limitation on the .2 is fueling. It will be interesting to see what the limits will be on the Direct Injection motors and how the various tuners will deal with adding more fuel when the power goes up. I don't know what the limit of the DI is but suspect at 600 WHP it is starting to push the fueling limits.

Any tune has the potential of making 600 WHP. It all depends on the tuner.

Originally Posted by rix
You could probably get a little over with E85. Mine makes just shy of 600 (590ish) on E85. I don't recall exactly what GIAC/Champion claim for their flash, but they are running them on a Dynojet so their numbers will be higher.

Due to fueling I am not sure E85 this will ever be an option for the .2. On a regular car that uses E85 we need to up the size of the injectors by 1.47. This means if you were running a 42lb injector and converted to E85 the injectors needs to be upsized to 62 Lbs. Not sure how this can be done with a DI motor.

Guys,

I think we need to be fair to all the tuning software out there as any platform can yield power. It not as much as the program but more about whom the tuner is. The advantages of Cobb’s vs. some of the competitors are:

• Price point as Cobb’s is known for providing a nice product for a very competitive price.
  • Self-tune version will more than likely be released as with all other models. The self-tune version has the same features as the pro version with the only limitations being locked to one Access Port only. This means you can only tune your car. Many hobby tuners like me really like this as I usually tune all my own cars along with my friends
  • Data logging… With access port you can monitor and log various parameters necessary for tuning with the hand held tool. The competitors usually make you use the Durametric Software and cable. If you ever used the Durametric software it can be a little buggy at times. For example they still haven’t fixed all the bug issues with the 997.2 turbo logging yet. Also there appears to be tons of parameters in the Durametric software and it is a little tricky which fields someone should use for logging. With AP it is check what you want and they all work without the use of a laptop.
  • Easy to flash back to stock to take into service. Just a push of a button. With some competitors you need to do multiple steps such as flash, throttle body learn and then erase codes. The AP does this all for you in one simple step. To be fair FVD and GIAC can also do that but their tool is not as nice as the high graphic’s V2 and the improved V3 Access Port.

After this write up I am looking for my Cobb’s discount for the promotion of their product. Cobb’s feel free to chime in anytimeJ. I love your software especially on my GTR.

Last edited by Streetgear; 05-03-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned
Right, but COBB is the only program that have pro tuners all over to produce custom tunes for there clients, right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo COBB Tune (dyno numbers)