997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2RS Aero conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Banned
turbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to behold
another option would be purchasing the oem aerokit, at $5000 you get a bunch of nice items

rockers
rear valance diffusers
aero foil fixed wing
aero front lip

suncoast sells it or you can piece it together at a dealer

Old 05-08-2015, 07:34 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Hey Guys - can some one direct me to a manufacturer that makes an identical GT2RS wing replica? I'm having difficulty identifying them online as all use OEM pictures in their merchandising - very few post the actual piece.

Has any one purchased one?
As far as I can tell NR Auto is the highest quality - but that's an opinion made without any real world justification.

@Vivid - you guys used a wing on your white 997.2
Who manufactured it?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Hey Guys - can some one direct me to a manufacturer that makes an identical GT2RS wing replica? I'm having difficulty identifying them online as all use OEM pictures in their merchandising - very few post the actual piece.

As far as I can tell NR Auto is the highest quality - but that's an opinion made without any real world justification.

Who manufactured it?
Fvd has a full kit (bumper ,wings, cf fender hood roof ) but I must tell you there are things like radiator replacing that you should consider too

Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Vote oem aerokit.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd also vote for OEM kit. These aftermarket body kits are hit or miss. Most do not fit well and need a quality body shop to modify these parts to make them acceptable, but in most cases they will not be OEM quality fit. So if you go the route of aftermarket make sure you go in with the right expectations and budget extra funds for a good body shop to make it fit to your satisfaction.

If you want an example of how badly this could go just check Hector's thread here on 6spd with respect to his horror story with a body kit from Misha Designs.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:43 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute

Who manufactured it?
When you say "identical" to OEM I assume that to mean quality, materials and fit. If that is the case then I can say with very high confidence that NO aftermarket manufacture makes an "identical" OEM GT2 wing.

Most of the aftermarket wings are made from vacuum formed plastic, which is hit or miss in its quality. They will not fit properly without a body shop massaging the piece into place, and even then you likely will not achieve OEM fit.

I recently purchased an aftermarket deck lid / wing and was not happy with the materials, fit or quality. Returned it immediately for a full refund. Do some searches on here and other forums and you will see page after page of mostly questionable posts regarding the quality of these aftermarket wings and body parts.

The one exception I've come across is the Werks 1 carbon fiber front lip, which is robust, solid and perfect OEM fit.

So do your homework and before buying make sure you can return it for full refund if you're not happy with the test fit.

Good luck

Old 05-08-2015, 06:10 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aa909
When you say "identical" to OEM I assume that to mean quality, materials and fit. If that is the case then I can say with very high confidence that NO aftermarket manufacture makes an "identical" OEM GT2 wing.

Most of the aftermarket wings are made from vacuum formed plastic, which is hit or miss in its quality. They will not fit properly without a body shop massaging the piece into place, and even then you likely will not achieve OEM fit.

I recently purchased an aftermarket deck lid / wing and was not happy with the materials, fit or quality. Returned it immediately for a full refund. Do some searches on here and other forums and you will see page after page of mostly questionable posts regarding the quality of these aftermarket wings and body parts.

The one exception I've come across is the Werks 1 carbon fiber front lip, which is robust, solid and perfect OEM fit.

So do your homework and before buying make sure you can return it for full refund if you're not happy with the test fit.

Good luck

Yeah, I'm going with OEM front bumper, rear bumper and all bumper accessories.

I'm only considering non-OEM wing.
With respect to "identical", I was referring to look/design. I fully understand that most will require some body work. But I'm identical look, and in carbon fiber.

aa909: Who did you get your wing from? PM me if you don't want to mention it publicly.

From what I can tell NR Auto has a full carbon fiber wing at a fraction of the price of an OEM.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Hi All,

Would you know if a GT2RS Gauge cluster will fit a 2007 Turbo, without issues?
Found a sweet deal on one, and about to pull the trigger

Old 05-09-2015, 06:56 PM
I've already completed suspansion, "go-fast" parts are in next week (Champion 68mm VTG and Champion IC's with Cobb), have Numeric shifter with solid transmission and engine mounts, cup cables and full RSS tarmac series solid suspension components!

Next up the GT2RS "look"...

Just picked these up...
The first in a line of GT2RS Parts.
...and it comes with a shift light! Just in case I loose my hearing and sense of touch - I'll know when to shift :P

Old 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
I've already completed suspansion, "go-fast" parts are in next week (Champion 68mm VTG and Champion IC's with Cobb), have Numeric shifter with solid transmission and engine mounts, cup cables and full RSS tarmac series solid suspension components!

Next up the GT2RS "look"...

Just picked these up...
The first in a line of GT2RS Parts.
...and it comes with a shift light! Just in case I loose my hearing and sense of touch - I'll know when to shift :P

What comes next? You may also look in vorsteiner wing. It's modeled after the .1 GT3 RS wing.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:05 PM
I have the front and rear bumper on pre order - those are OEM.
All the added CF parts (exhaust outlets, front vents, etc.) I'll source aftermarket parts, to keep the costs down.

The next purchase: Wing
I'm gravitating to the NR auto wing with CF blade.
Just waiting to hear back from Vivid on time it took them to get that wing to fit on their white 997.2 TTS.

I'm scouring the web for the steering wheel, shifter, ebrake and door sills. Internally then it's just GT2 seats that I'll have left to replace - I fear that's going to be the hardest to secure and I might just go with fully adjustable sport seats.

When the rear bumper goes in I'll do the exhaust and update to clear LED tails.
I'm gravitating to the Kline GT2 exhaust with 100 Cell cats and CF tips.

This may be a long project.
I'm aiming to have it complete end on next year.

As a side note, I'm thinking of keeping my side skirts as opposed to the GT2 ones.
I fell in love with this look... just sooo much better than the OEM. But I may reconsider once it's all in.

Last edited by pureporsche; 05-10-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:37 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
I have the front and rear bumper on pre order - those are OEM.
All the added CF parts (exhaust outlets, front vents, etc.) I'll source aftermarket parts, to keep the costs down.

The next purchase: Wing
I'm gravitating to the NR auto wing with CF blade.
Just waiting to hear back from Vivid on time it took them to get that wing to fit on their white 997.2 TTS.

I'm scouring the web for the steering wheel, shifter, ebrake and door sills. Internally then it's just GT2 seats that I'll have left to replace - I fear that's going to be the hardest to secure and I might just go with fully adjustable sport seats.

When the rear bumper goes in I'll do the exhaust and update to clear LED tails.
I'm gravitating to the Kline GT2 exhaust with 100 Cell cats and CF tips.

This may be a long project.
I'm aiming to have it complete end on next year.

As a side note, I'm thinking of keeping my side skirts as opposed to the GT2 ones.
I fell in love with this look... just sooo much better than the OEM. But I may reconsider once it's all in.

Check out MAcarbon for wheel, and side inlets. Don't forget mirrors. They can give you matte carbon for everything. I couldn't find a GT2 RS carbon fiber side vent anywhere near the quality of OEM. The closest thing is from MAcarbon but it uses OEM vents from your regular turbo.

You can get the seats from suncoast. Also that look you posted looks like the side strips are either teach art or vorsteiner.

I'm interested to see your experience with the wing. The best one I could find was from Emre at ESmotors.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:23 PM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
I've been doing this conversion on my car for about 3 years now. A word of warning, there's a lot more to do than just replace bumpers. Many parts underneath need to be swapped out. Rear bumper for instance, you'll need to change all the ducting on your intercoolers and change the frames that hold the intercoolers in place. The ducting channels air out of the vents in the rear bumper which are at the back on the GT2RS bumper but on the side on the Turbo one. That's just one example. I'm doing the full thing, with complete interior change.

Carbon parts are massively expensive oem. Use DB Carbon for some parts including the air intakes pictured. Make sure to ask for satin and not matte, there is a difference. I went through it with them after they sent parts in matte.

Front bumper requires you replace the middle radiator with GT2RS radiator and all ancilleries, including ducting, inner wheel arches etc. I've already spent about £20,000 on my car (but I've done full interior with carbon seats.) and as you can see, centre lock conversion with GT2RS wheels.

Here's a link to my thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-build.html

Last edited by isysman; 10-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Still curious on the GT2 odometer.

Does this completely remove the PSM? Have you done this part isysman?

Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 AM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
I looked at replacing the odometer but I wanted to keep the original ones for the mileage, also if you say you changed them people might assume the mileage is wrong. I had custom dials made in Germany and fitted them in my turbo cluster. I recently bought a GT3 cluster which I have just sent with my originals back to Germany to have the yellow needles in them swapped over to mine. That's the direction I'd recommend you go in. That way you don't lose any functionality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Aero conversion