997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

COBB Stage 3 Maps - Alpha Release!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by au2bahn
When converting to say 1000cc for E85, what other parts are needed replacing since E85 is considered corrosive?
That's all you need to change.

I would still do half interval oil changes when running E85.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM
leevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to all
+1 Update on launch control for the 997.1 Manual.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by leevg
+1 Update on launch control for the 997.1 Manual.
We have used it (boost off the line) now for 2 race events, and it is very effective and consistent. Now have 80-90 launches using it. Your tuner will set a stationary rev limit (we were in the 4300-4700 range) and can make up to 7-8psi of boost. You floor the throttle, then let out the clutch when ready. 4500/7psi would blow off the tires on hoosiers on concrete, so we went with 4500/4psi. We keep multiple rpm flashes on the AP to fine tune for the surface.

In this video you can see it at the launch, this was 4300/4psi because the surface was very gravelly.

You can still manually hold the rpm below the rev limit if you wish, the boost building still works, as it is rpm, not throttle position based.

Here is a another video we took during the first tests.
http://tinyurl.com/zvvuy22

It does build a ton of exhaust heat, so its best to be catless. Boost starts building in about 1-1.5 sec. I start flooring the throttle just before the yellow lights start coming down, and I have boost by the 2nd yellow.

Last edited by Webspoke; 06-29-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:42 AM
Rez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond repute
As soon as a flex fuel option comes i'm 100% in.

I already have intercoolers, exhaust and 150 gallons of E85 in my garage.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:35 AM
leevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to allleevg is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Webspoke
We have used it (boost off the line) now for 2 race events, and it is very effective and consistent. Now have 80-90 launches using it. Your tuner will set a stationary rev limit (we were in the 4300-4700 range) and can make up to 7-8psi of boost. You floor the throttle, then let out the clutch when ready. 4500/7psi would blow off the tires on hoosiers on concrete, so we went with 4500/4psi. We keep multiple rpm flashes on the AP to fine tune for the surface.

In this video you can see it at the launch, this was 4300/4psi because the surface was very gravelly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2zCJt-ann4

You can still manually hold the rpm below the rev limit if you wish, the boost building still works, as it is rpm, not throttle position based.

Here is a another video we took during the first tests.
http://tinyurl.com/zvvuy22

It does build a ton of exhaust heat, so its best to be catless. Boost starts building in about 1-1.5 sec. I start flooring the throttle just before the yellow lights start coming down, and I have boost by the 2nd yellow.
Awesome video. That's exactly why I want Launch control.. Or 2-step.. or Boost off the line to be made available.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by leevg
Awesome video. That's exactly why I want Launch control.. Or 2-step.. or Boost off the line to be made available.
It is available now, as a pro tune option. I think it has been out for a few months for 997.1, just not widely used.

The only downside so far has been the lack of ability to modify the launch rev limit in real time, without a reflash. On other platforms, they can do it via cruise control buttons

Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Yea, I understand its available as a protune option. I think I speak for the masses when I say it would be nice as a feature available to folks that paid for an AP. Actually, Any additional features Cobb adds to OTS maps are exciting.

I've been out of the tuning scene for a while, but based on what I saw for the Evo, Supra and GTR community, 600-800 dollars (Probably double that when adding the porsche tax ) and driving my car to turn on a feature most new sports cars come with out of the box is a stretch.

If someone just had a map available to email me with BOTL and my Cells for my rear 02 sensors turned off, I'd pay them. (hint hint)

Old 06-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Just a perspective, Most tuners do not offer this feature and or only have on special request. It does have it's down-sides. Destroys cats and in some cases exhaust systems and further up the track if not consulted and applied properly.

On the O2 sensors this is not a smog legal offering. So it is only available as a pro-tune for off road use only. The capabilities are all there, just requires using the correct channels for a number of reasons....Why you generally cannot get a tune with these features available off-the-shelf (let alone at all)

lastly, Cobb has a Pro-Tuner network for this purpose. Just reach out and you can find the right fit to help you unleash the Cobb AP and your cars potential safely and effectively.

Hope that helps

Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rez90
As soon as a flex fuel option comes i'm 100% in.

I already have intercoolers, exhaust and 150 gallons of E85 in my garage.
Wouldn't count on that anytime soon, if at all.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Rez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by A418t81
Wouldn't count on that anytime soon, if at all.
Why? I can't see it being a big deal to hook up the same ethanol content analyzer i have in my Nissan to a fuel line in the porsche...

With the Ethanol %age the map compensates maximum boost pressure through the program on the Cobb. I don't know why anything would be any different on the 911.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:26 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
The hardware is easy. The software implementation is the problem and there's one Cobb development guy. The ROMs are not all the same for these cars. There are even different tables from one car to the next in the same model year. Unfortunately these aren't GTRs.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Just a perspective, Most tuners do not offer this feature and or only have on special request. It does have it's down-sides. Destroys cats and in some cases exhaust systems and further up the track if not consulted and applied properly.

On the O2 sensors this is not a smog legal offering. So it is only available as a pro-tune for off road use only. The capabilities are all there, just requires using the correct channels for a number of reasons....Why you generally cannot get a tune with these features available off-the-shelf (let alone at all)

lastly, Cobb has a Pro-Tuner network for this purpose. Just reach out and you can find the right fit to help you unleash the Cobb AP and your cars potential safely and effectively.

Hope that helps
For the record, I have to disagree with "most tuners do not offer this" as far as launch control. Every car I've owned and modified, tuners turned on some form of launch control. At minimum, a rev limiter off the line. At maximum, anti-lag. Actually, Cobb has this feature available for other platforms with their OTS maps. My assumption would be their is some business driver for this not being available to the masses. Whether they don't want Porsche owners to complain when something breaks, or their network of protuners would complain if they couldn't charge extra money for custom tunes. Ultimately, it's a business.

Also, posting the words "off road use only" after something doesn't legally effect anything. whether Cobb requires you to pay a protuner to turn off the O2 sensors, or they roll it into a OTS map... the "off road only" argument is pretty meaningless.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers. I respect your opinion. Research it a little bit more...And specific to this platform. You might see where I'm coming from. Especially with emissions. I don't think there's a tuner in this country or any other for that matter that will tamper with them OTS. At least not one of any decent size. If you need some help feel free to reach out and I'd be glad to do whatever I can for you. It's not all about money. It's about getting the right product to the customer. Cobb offers a pretty outstanding product at a very competitive price. They have a structure set up to reach out to the end users as part of the concept. If you did ultimately need direct support there is a Porsche team you can always email. They are definitely adding features and updates constantly as well as coming out with new APs on new models and platforms faster than I have ever seen. To do this worldwide with the small team and still provide customer service is pretty great I think. Proud to work with this company.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Cheers. I respect your opinion. Research it a little bit more...And specific to this platform. You might see where I'm coming from. Especially with emissions. I don't think there's a tuner in this country or any other for that matter that will tamper with them OTS. At least not one of any decent size. If you need some help feel free to reach out and I'd be glad to do whatever I can for you. It's not all about money. It's about getting the right product to the customer. Cobb offers a pretty outstanding product at a very competitive price. They have a structure set up to reach out to the end users as part of the concept. If you did ultimately need direct support there is a Porsche team you can always email. They are definitely adding features and updates constantly as well as coming out with new APs on new models and platforms faster than I have ever seen. To do this worldwide with the small team and still provide customer service is pretty great I think. Proud to work with this company.
I do agree. I can only say positive things about cobb. I don't think I have ever seen a reliable way to let people with no tuning experience, tune their own cars. Cobb does it right. It is priced very fairly, especially compared to stand alones. I know ProEfi or Infinity will set you back at least 3k when all is said and done and that doesn't include an actual tune. Great product and outstanding customer support.

Didn't there used to be a accesstuner race software that let people make minor modifications to their tune?

If this is de-railing the thread I can move the discussion to another one.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

My offer stands and I'm glad to help out anytime!

Accesstuner Race can be a slippery slope. Most people get it and realize they need an experienced Porsche tuner. There's just a lot more at risk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COBB Stage 3 Maps - Alpha Release!