997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ok I'm an another victim of blown motor!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:54 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I hope you get yours exactly how you like it and I hope it's trouble free for you.

We are all who we are becasue of life experience and upbringing. My life experience modding cars is such that I am adverse to it at this point.

I too thought I had it figured out. But sadly that was not the case. If you,stress any motor you need to maintain it very differently. Much like a race team. Nobody tells you that when you ask about mods. All my failures were due to the stock bits not holding up to the extra power created by my new mods. I replaced everything that broke with better bits but those also fatigued and just when I though ok I have this something else went. Then you say. I'm getting rid of it finished. You sleep on it and say ok I did so much. Maybe if I just get this done it will be back to perfect. Your tuner talks you up and say you have some so far. Let's do it. And then weeks later your calling the flat bed.

No offense to any tuners (never used any of these guys) here but to me they are like drug dealers (to me.) They have what I want so bad, they know how to dangle it and luckily I have resisted drugs but could not resist the modding bug which was just as bad, just as costly and just as damaging to my wallet.

Again might be a bad analogy but it's how I felt.

If something goes wrong on my current ride, I hope my warranty will cover it or I will deal. They are machines, and I expect to have to fix something along the way. Just not every other weekend.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
Unfortunately even the stock car suffers from issues like camshaft problem, clutch slave cylinder failure, and coolant leaks. So you still may end up sitting by the side of the road waiting for the flatbed.

I loved the car in stock mode but with the current mods on it I lust after it.

Last edited by JSF721; 07-25-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
If the gt2 and gt2rs can handle bigger power .. I pretty confident this motor can handle... 700 hp...tpc racing has a track prepped turbo with 600awhp... These motors are very strong and are built to take a reliable pounding.....then again I've seen motors go on Hondas and toyotas at 20 k......I blew my tranny on my acura 3x ..talk about reliable.....from a modding view can't think of a better tuned car....my favorite....

Old 07-26-2015, 03:55 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
If the gt2 and gt2rs can handle bigger power .. I pretty confident this motor can handle... 700 hp...tpc racing has a track prepped turbo with 600awhp... These motors are very strong and are built to take a reliable pounding.....then again I've seen motors go on Hondas and toyotas at 20 k......I blew my tranny on my acura 3x ..talk about reliable.....from a modding view can't think of a better tuned car....my favorite....
On 93 the same engine in the gt2rs comes with over 630hp from P. So it seems P disagrees with the "modding is bad" argument...

Old 07-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
On 93 the same engine in the gt2rs comes with over 630hp from P. So it seems P disagrees with the "modding is bad" argument...
630 hp is a very underrated number for these car as most dyno 560 - 580 range...yup.. I'll take my chances that these motors are bomb proof.... I'm going to say one of the strongest motors ever made...change the rods and you have over 1000 hp...

Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
This is true and even more. Everyone please remember this was not a healthy motor. As SWC stated there was issues going on for a little while and it was thought to be addressed but I guess not. I feel just as bad for Choi is anyone else and will continue to give them as much support as I can to make him whole again as painlessly as possible.

This incident should not effect all of the data on these motors and what they can take. The bottom line is it's definitely a big boys game but if done carefully and on a healthy motor they perform amazingly and last.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Bader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud of
Sam , you just hit the nail on the head , the motor wasn't healthy .
Good luck rebuilding and Iam sure you will do great job helping .
You always have been .

Old 07-26-2015, 11:47 AM
MidLifeKrisis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JSF721
I have a friend with a stock turbo that he basically DD other than extreme weather and he has a very reliable car. It was not purchased new, but a CPO and he is well over 100K. He does not beat it, but he certainly enjoys it. I think these cars are drop dead reliable if left stock.

Once the modding starts all bets are off. You are at the mercy of many variables many out of your control. The tuner, the mechanic, the parts, the stock bits left behind not designed for the extra power. Etc. If there is a problem to be found, I have found it. The only way I could go down that road was if I was totally skilled as a master mechanic, had a pro level shop and could do and fix everything myself. That's not happening in this life time.

I know I am not the norm here as I am ANTI modding based on my personal past experience (not on Porsches) and I'm done. I buy the car I want out of the box and when that's not enough I move on to what is more in line with my desires (as long as the check book can support). Too many days pushing my modded cars to the side of the road, too many hours waiting for a flat bed or random systems failing or spending my free time trying to identify a hard to repeat issue. Its just not worth it to me in aggravation not to mention $. I had HKS systems in SUpra TUrbo's, M3's, and 300ZX turbo's. I then took a long break in sports cars and raised a family, built a business and my time on the sidelines gave me the clarity that what I really wanted was a high performance car, that was reliable and had handling., looks and a convertible. The rest is history.
^this.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers Bader. I just don't wan't it to read wrong and for people to lose faith in this awesome power-plant. There are hundreds of 997TT's running around with 700+hp and smooth tq delivery reliably.

Originally Posted by Bader996
Sam , you just hit the nail on the head , the motor wasn't healthy .
Good luck rebuilding and Iam sure you will do great job helping .
You always have been .

Old 07-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Bader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud of
Totally agree Sam , wish fadi can get into this thread . Our engines are built for racing and they can hold that power . What are you doing Sam is great . Personally I would like to thank you for all the support and answering all my questions . Keep it up and Iam sure choi is in great hands

Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 PM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Always hate reading threads like this because most of us have been in this same situation with some type of performance vehicle.

One of the difficult parts is getting a car with medium to high mileage and not knowing the true history of how it was taken care of.

So many variables to consider:
1- How many tunes were on it before
2- Were the knock sensors turned off previously to make more power?
3- What octane, and if it was a 91 tune previously, how close to the edge was it taken, and how many tanks of bad gas could have happened?
4- Head lifting / major Oil consumption prior to modding it further was only accelerating the issues at hand.

Being a tuner / dabbler for cars between 500-1200whp I know this feeling all to well. Having an owner / friend that doesn't know the full history of a car, or hasn't had it gone all the way through, there is always some gambling involved.

I think the main point which has already been said, is seeing the true side of this community showing support. Putting any blame aside, engine, tune, history, octane, stars and moon not aligned. I think we can all appreciate having support when things go south.

Happy to have bought some of my best parts from Sam, I look forward to dealing more with him if this is the type of support he continues to give.

Honorable mention to the others too offering help, Champion and the others with the great insight.

Thanks for the read!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
True, but I think the conrods in the GT2RS are different, as well as a few other parts.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
True, but I think the conrods in the GT2RS are different, as well as a few other parts.
Sure P did do some modifications, IC's, turbos, exhaust etc before turning the power up. My point is only that we here do the same, so the generic "modding is always bad" argument isnt really supported by P

Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
This absolutely re-enforces why prospective P-owners looking at pre-owned TT's (or TTS) prefer to buy a stock car! You just never know what the prior owner(s) have put a car through or how well maintained the vehicle (engine et al) was. Start with a LEGIT stock car and at least you know what the baseline is. That said, we know that a 'stock' car can equally be abused and a tuned/modded car can quickly be 'returned to stock' for re-sale...not saying swc's car was abused or improperly maintained during his 15K ownership of the car but it appears that 'motor wasn't healthy'! Whether the motor went south during his ownership or the 65K prior to him buying it, we may never know.

That's all water under the bridge at this point anyway, good luck with the new engine and we are all grateful for vendors such as Sam who go above and beyond to assist when things go south! Kudos to you Sam!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 PM
freddiemac is on a distinguished road
Feel for the OP, hope your rebuild will turn out awesome, which will make you forget about the previous failures.

The owners of modded cars put an enormous amount of faith and trust in the skill/integrity of their tuners.

If you track your car, you are taking some additional risks, as heat and load increase, the custom tune is probably not as well tested/covered in these conditions as the OEM mapping.

I know for fact that the old GIAC tune that was on my car was not nearly as safe as my current custom tune on Cobb. My current tuner showed me that the old tune were much more aggressive in "ride" the knock sensors (rely on them to dial back), as well as ramping up torque too fast in the lower rpms. Both of these are much likely contributors to rod failures rather than some arbitrary peak hp/torque limit, IMHO.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by freddiemac
Feel for the OP, hope your rebuild will turn out awesome, which will make you forget about the previous failures.

The owners of modded cars put an enormous amount of faith and trust in the skill/integrity of their tuners.

If you track your car, you are taking some additional risks, as heat and load increase, the custom tune is probably not as well tested/covered in these conditions as the OEM mapping.

I know for fact that the old GIAC tune that was on my car was not nearly as safe as my current custom tune on Cobb. My current tuner showed me that the old tune were much more aggressive in "ride" the knock sensors (rely on them to dial back), as well as ramping up torque too fast in the lower rpms. Both of these are much likely contributors to rod failures rather than some arbitrary peak hp/torque limit, IMHO.
When you say "ride" the knock sensors, what kind of numbers are you talking about? i.e. -3, -4 or more?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok I'm an another victim of blown motor!