997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

4.5sec 100-200kph / 5.1sec 60-130mph - proTUNING Freaks 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longboarder
Yeah the net slope from seconds 0-4 overall looks reasonable. After 4 seconds this arrhythmia settles and this thing is just flying I'd love to see how this car performs at an airstrip event it would kick ***. Looks like a 180+half mile car.
Might need an AWD burnout before the run

Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 PM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
I agree something is funky with this graph. That amount of G force vacation looks like a bungie jump. For numbers and graphs like this a video is in order.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roncooper
I agree something is funky with this graph. That amount of G force vacation looks like a bungie jump. For numbers and graphs like this a video is in order.
Funky? -> Freaky

Old 10-20-2015, 02:14 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats PTF!
My times were similar with my 3071s and 3,8 with E85@1,5Bar.
This set up is perfect for road use, nevertheless I bent 2 rods running high speeds (above 280kph) at this level, take care!

Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks K24F. We're keeping a very watchful eye on our torque. With the 3071s on your car boost would come in earlier than 3076s and you might've been spiking boost a bit depending on your PID settings.

E85 allows for heaps of ignition timing as well and that can also get you in trouble in the lower RPM range as torque gets the car moving quick through that 60-100mph segment but at the expense of higher cylinder pressures. Do you recall what your ignition timing was?

I take it your rods bent on the stock motor before you went with a 3.8 build?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:43 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Thanks K24F. We're keeping a very watchful eye on our torque. With the 3071s on your car boost would come in earlier than 3076s and you might've been spiking boost a bit depending on your PID settings.

E85 allows for heaps of ignition timing as well and that can also get you in trouble in the lower RPM range as torque gets the car moving quick through that 60-100mph segment but at the expense of higher cylinder pressures. Do you recall what your ignition timing was?

I take it your rods bent on the stock motor before you went with a 3.8 build?
Yes, I rebuilt the engine following the rods issue.
I even had the log during the failure, sent it to Todd. (No knocks, safe Lambdas)
It wasn't with E85 but pumpgas and low boost/mid timing (1,35Bar/18° @6000rpm), but I was often running 300kph and racing with tuned GTRs and 1liter bikes, I believe it was the main reason.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Obb
Why race liter bikes on low boost and pump gas to 280 or did you mean you were racing them on E85 and higher boost when your rods failed? What happened to the rods in this case? Dzenno is being really clever with his setup in my opinion in using meth and not pushing it on pump gas. I really do love the approach. I for one would really never use pump gas on its own to do any serious racing involving very high speeds and sustaining high load. Its just asking for trouble. Its always been either race gas or meth or both in the past for me if we're getting down to business and things have lived long happy lives.
I went to E85 after the failure, run 1,5Bar since and achieve the PTF times.
I was running straight pumpgas before the rebuilt, so 1,35 Bar was my max boost; until I run end 6th rods were ok.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
K24F, I have a few questions for you:

1) What were you using for engine management and boost control prior to your build and what do you have on the car right now? Factory computer with a boost controller or a standalone ECU?

2) When your rods failed, did they bend or break? Which cylinders were affected?

Dzenno@PTF

Old 10-22-2015, 02:32 PM
K24F, I have a few questions for you:

1) What were you using for engine management and boost control prior to your build and what do you have on the car right now? Factory computer with a boost controller or a standalone ECU?

2) When your rods failed, did they bend or break? Which cylinders were affected?

Dzenno@PTF
Hi Dzenno,

1: stock ECU + HKS EVC6, and still for now.
2: the 6th rod bent and its piston+sleeve were hurt, another rod was little bent as well, I don't remember which one.

As the logs were showing, no engine management issue happend, only mechanical. I was running about 300kph and felt something weird, so stopped at once. In despite the engine was still running we opened the next week because I was sure of the result...

Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
K24F,
I'm curious, What plenum did you have in your car when it melted?

Originally Posted by K24F
Hi Dzenno,

2: the 6th rod bent and its piston+sleeve were hurt, another rod was little bent as well, I don't remember which one.

As the logs were showing, no engine management issue happend, only mechanical. I was running about 300kph and felt something weird, so stopped at once. In despite the engine was still running but we opened the next week because I was sure of the result...

Old 10-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by vr6tee
K24F,
I'm curious, What plenum did you have in your car when it melted?
Stock plenum, I still run it, perhap's I will go to the 82 in the future.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by K24F
Hi Dzenno,

As the logs were showing, no engine management issue happend, only mechanical. I was running about 300kph and felt something weird, so stopped at once. In despite the engine was still running we opened the next week because I was sure of the result...
I see. Did you have an externally set up failsafe for fuel pressure and lean run protection?

Here is some advice for whatever its worth. Given that you were only able to log ignition timing on cylinder 1 via Durametric logging and not across the entire motor (like for example with a Cobb AP or a standalone) unfortunately it'd be impossible for anyone to know if there really was an ongoing/sudden issue in any other cylinder except cylinder 1 that you were logging.

At this stage of the game given where factory ECU sits today I would highly recommend at the least moving to a Cobb Accessport for its extensive logging capabilities and ease of use over carrying a laptop with you in the car any time you need to log. Its simply more convenient, it turns on/off with ignition, can run 6 gauges at a time for you (e.g. monitor knock across all 6 cylinders all the time if you wish with peak recall, or anything else you choose to see live).

Your current tuning could most likely also be ported over by your current tuner and you'd have all the visibility you'd need to keep an eye on things a little more closely going forward (e.g. if your cylinder 3 and 6 are knocking, you'd see it right away). Alternatively you could go with a standalone, wiring in additional sensors and failsafes, but that could require a lot more time/effort depending on your tuner and their familiarity a given standalone.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 10-22-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:18 PM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
you did 5.1 60-130 on meth? that is crazy but just to remind you that meth is hazardous !yesterday i blew all my intake manifold here the link:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ooler-fix.html
maybe i did something wrong who knows but will fix this soon

Old 10-23-2015, 01:47 AM
I see. Did you have an externally set up failsafe for fuel pressure and lean run protection?

Here is some advice for whatever its worth. Given that you were only able to log ignition timing on cylinder 1 via Durametric logging and not across the entire motor (like for example with a Cobb AP or a standalone) unfortunately it'd be impossible for anyone to know if there really was an ongoing/sudden issue in any other cylinder except cylinder 1 that you were logging.

At this stage of the game given where factory ECU sits today I would highly recommend at the least moving to a Cobb Accessport for its extensive logging capabilities and ease of use over carrying a laptop with you in the car any time you need to log. Its simply more convenient, it turns on/off with ignition, can run 6 gauges at a time for you (e.g. monitor knock across all 6 cylinders all the time if you wish with peak recall, or anything else you choose to see live).

Your current tuning could most likely also be ported over by your current tuner and you'd have all the visibility you'd need to keep an eye on things a little more closely going forward (e.g. if your cylinder 3 and 6 are knocking, you'd see it right away). Alternatively you could go with a standalone, wiring in additional sensors and failsafes, but that could require a lot more time/effort depending on your tuner and their familiarity a given standalone.
in order of questions/subjects:

-I run it in my tuned 993TT but not in my 997, that's why I log before and during every "hard run".
-Yes it is a lack of the Durametric in despite it uses the same sensors vs the Cobb accessport, it "CAN bus" the timing signal and does not separate it after.
-This accessport should maybe a usefull investment for me in the future, the fact it permits to log alone and without a laptop is another advantage.
Howether I always worked with Todd K about the tuning, is it possible to only use the CAP for logging? (I believe why not? And of course its tuning ability is an open door if needed in the future)

thxs for interest
P.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mtlsp
you did 5.1 60-130 on meth? that is crazy but just to remind you that meth is hazardous !yesterday i blew all my intake manifold here the link:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ooler-fix.html
maybe i did something wrong who knows but will fix this soon
Thanks mtlsp. We're hoping to get a few more runs in and share with you guys before it freezes over up here.

I've just gone through your thread on the intake backfire. I'm really sorry to see what happened there, definitely not pretty at all and quite a bit of damage. Given how the intake manifold sits and how the heads are positioned on this motor chances of broken pieces getting into the motor is likely so I'd strongly advise pulling down the motor and having a very close look before putting it back together.

Having said that, what methanol kit did you have wired on the car? Intake manifold backfires can be easily eliminated depending on what your meth controller supports in terms of injection strategy, how much meth you're using given the flow of fuel out of your fuel injectors. It can also be related to valve timing/overlap configuration, a bent valve, injector failure, any number of things that even on their own could have their fair share of issues.

Can you share some details on your mods particular turbos used, boost levels, meth kit and injectors/FPR on the car and I'll try to explain further in detail.

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 10-23-2015 at 09:55 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4.5sec 100-200kph / 5.1sec 60-130mph - proTUNING Freaks 997.1 Turbo