997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbo warm engine hard to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 PM
977ttblue is on a distinguished road
997 turbo warm engine hard to start

Hi guys

By the weather become hotter these days im getting an embarrising problem , the engine start up great when cold , but when i goes for a ride ( engine warmed up ) if i stopped and start up the engine again its not starts without hitting the gas pedal for few seconds ( maybe 5 sec ) then it goes normal and great , my problem only with eengine warmed up , some mechanical told me that the fuel pump not the problem , does any one have this issue and fixed , searches talks about alternator cable and air controller valve , i dont know what to do 😐

997 turbo 2007

Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 PM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
Does it crank with the same speed as when it starts cold. I have seen failing batteries do this many times will give a slightly slower crank speed and start hard. But if it cranks normally but starts and stall immediately it is another issue. Does it smoke a lot when it does it, to indicate a rich fuel leaking condition. I have also seen purge valves hang open and cause the same condition.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 PM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 977ttblue
Hi guys

By the weather become hotter these days im getting an embarrising problem , the engine start up great when cold , but when i goes for a ride ( engine warmed up ) if i stopped and start up the engine again its not starts without hitting the gas pedal for few seconds ( maybe 5 sec ) then it goes normal and great , my problem only with eengine warmed up , some mechanical told me that the fuel pump not the problem , does any one have this issue and fixed , searches talks about alternator cable and air controller valve , i dont know what to do 😐

997 turbo 2007
Bad fuel pressure regulator,remove the vacuum line on the FPR and check if there is fuel inside.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
I had the exact same problem, as did several other 997.1tt cars here. Problem is the starter motor.

I changed mine to a new Bosche unit (identical to oem 1/3 the price) problem went away since.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by TT.BRN
I had the exact same problem, as did several other 997.1tt cars here. Problem is the starter motor. I changed mine to a new Bosche unit (identical to oem 1/3 the price) problem went away since.
Do you know the reason !!

Old 04-16-2016, 07:03 AM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
Is the issue it cranks slow when hot, cranks normal and will just not start for 5 seconds, or starts then wants to stall and u have to give it gas. Need to be very specific all different issues and people are just throwing ideas at u. If u want real solid answers and advice need to know what the actual issue is.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by echerbst
Is the issue it cranks slow when hot, cranks normal and will just not start for 5 seconds, or starts then wants to stall and u have to give it gas. Need to be very specific all different issues and people are just throwing ideas at u. If u want real solid answers and advice need to know what the actual issue is.
Crank normal not slow at all just need to hit the gas pedal while idling and keep my foot on the gas pedal for few seconds maybe 2-5 sec , this problem only when the engine is warmed ( hot ) plz guys i need a specific solution , to avoid spent money $$$

Old 04-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Btw searchs talk about these solutions

1-replacment the alternator cable
2-replacment the motor switch
3-air controller valve ( body throtle )
4- fuel pump ( not my problem )
5-fuel filter ( i replaced it )

Old 04-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Here is the problem after driving the car for 1 hour and the parked for 30 min , then wont startup without hitting the gas pedal ( the third idle i hitted the gas pedal and its work fine! )

Hope this explain ...

Last edited by 977ttblue; 04-16-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Well I can tell u it's not the starter, alternator cable or any issue with those things. Unfortunately that issue is going to require some diagnosis. Does it let out a puff of smoke when it starts hard like that?

Check fuel pressure regulator and make sure not leaking into vacuum hose. Check purge valve to make sure not stuck open.
Then going to have to put a fuel pressure and spark tester on it when it acts to see if either one of those is the issue.
It could be the throttle body stuck completely closed for some reason also. Never seen that but would need a scanner to see what the actual tps position is then take of coupler and visually look and see where it's at.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
mine does the same... I turn the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting and it works better .....

Old 04-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by echerbst
Well I can tell u it's not the starter, alternator cable or any issue with those things. Unfortunately that issue is going to require some diagnosis. Does it let out a puff of smoke when it starts hard like that? Check fuel pressure regulator and make sure not leaking into vacuum hose. Check purge valve to make sure not stuck open. Then going to have to put a fuel pressure and spark tester on it when it acts to see if either one of those is the issue. It could be the throttle body stuck completely closed for some reason also. Never seen that but would need a scanner to see what the actual tps position is then take of coupler and visually look and see where it's at.

Yeah i see puff or smoke for a while the gone

Old 04-16-2016, 03:00 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Your starter seems ok, mine would not crank when hot ....

From your video I'd say the problem is fuel or spark related

Old 04-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Joshua Adams is on a distinguished road
I had this issue when I first got my Turbo; replaced the battery and it has been running awesome since. It was only having issues when the engine was warm and sometimes almost refused to start at all. New battery solved all issues.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams
I had this issue when I first got my Turbo; replaced the battery and it has been running awesome since. It was only having issues when the engine was warm and sometimes almost refused to start at all. New battery solved all issues.
Before you replaced the battery did you got slow crank ? And do you have to hit the gas pedal to let the car startup ?

Because i dont get slow crank at all i just have to hit the gas pedal when the engine is warm ( i dont think that we are getting the same problem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo warm engine hard to start