997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Software Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 AM
CURSED is on a distinguished road
Software Help

Looking for some help from experienced Porsche folks!

I recently purchased a new to me 997.1T with sport chrono. The car was advertised to have FVD's software tune. However the car did not come with the hand held flashing device and the previous owner does not appear to have it or know where it is.

Being that I am not familiar with FVD and I intend on doing some upgrades, IC's and more in the future, I'm looking to remove this tune and replace it with the Cobb AP that has multiple maps for these mods. Does anyone have any experience or advice for me on the best methods to remove the FVD tune considering I no longer have the loading device?

Currently, I see 14/15psi in normal mode and 17psi in sport. This seems like it should be higher if the car had a tune?

My main questions are, 1. How can I confirm my car has the FVD Tune? 2. How can I safely remove the tune, or will the AP simply copy the tune currently in the car and replace it with their tune?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Gratuitous poorly taken iPhone photograph of the car! Next week I will be lowering the car an inch or so, it's on the Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilover system.

Last edited by CURSED; 10-23-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
confirm with fvd but cobb should simply overwrite the existing files

Old 10-23-2016, 08:10 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Tune or not, the OEM gauge will not show anything other than what you are seeing.

I have a Softronic Tune, and with other software I am getting 25+ PSI, but my gauge still shows 17 on the dash in Sport Mode.

DC

Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM
CURSED is on a distinguished road
To ensure I understand, the gauge on the dash is worthless for viewing actual psi?

Adam

Old 10-24-2016, 05:13 PM
DOOBEE will become famous soon enoughDOOBEE will become famous soon enough
I've done exactly what you are asking. I too did not get any programming unit with my car when purchased. I was told I had a GIAC tune but discovered an FVD sticker on the ECU. Rhonda helped figure out what I had (at least at some point) and i bought a Durametric which allowed me to restore their tune. I think they have some other standalone delivery tool as well. I also had them then write some new custom tunes for additional changes I had made (may be an option for you). This is a capable company with great customer service.

I later switched to the AP and Cobb tune. This unit will save whatever tune is installed in the vehicle if you select to do so (I recall it being optional) as the stock tune. You can reinstall it when removing the AP. I've gone back and forth a few times.

Last edited by DOOBEE; 10-24-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:37 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CURSED
To ensure I understand, the gauge on the dash is worthless for viewing actual psi?

Adam
Completely. All it does is act as a lap timer and I've never seen anyone ever use it. Some people retrofit an aftermarket gauge in there. (assuming you're talking about the chrono)

As far as the factory boost gauge in the dash cluster where tach is, that works fine with the cobb, but it doesn't register over stock values.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 PM
DOOBEE will become famous soon enoughDOOBEE will become famous soon enough
Exactly. 17 and an up arrow are the most boost the stock dash will register. The AP can display actual boost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.