997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997tt no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 AM
altesporsche is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ctony66
Did you try giving it a sniff of ether to be sure it's not a fuel issue.

highly unlikely as there is no fuel getting to the fuel filter to make it to the injectors.
The fuel pump has been replaced and wiring traced, but getting an odd voltage reading at the fuse holder for the pumps.

Yes the injectors are on the same harness as the coils but, there isn't fuel getting to the injectors, hence the code for below lower limit on the fuel delivery at each injector.

So so with these things, it's highly unlikely to be a fuel issue.

Had a chat at with the company who sold me the coils that are in the car and they admitted after an hour of arguing that they were beru units reworked then repotted, so they put a higher output coil in a housing that cracked in normal circumstances. The heat from the new coil would just make the housing crack much more pre mature.

Also porsche has updated these coils from beru to a u it with a better moulded body to resist the cracking issue that they had. I'll post photos of the old coils vs. The new ones when I get my hands on them later today hopefully.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I couldn't agree more, these cars can be a headache to trace wiring issues and has been when I was tracing the fuel pump harness etc.. that paired with the lack of a service manual for the 997 tt cars makes it hard lol I only got as far as I did with it because I've built a lot of cars over the years and my background in mechanical engineering gave me a bit of guesstimation and deduction lol

they are damn complex cars, I had to walk a Porsche service tech through an intermitent cam lift solenoid a few months back ... this car I have a bit of love and hate relationship with, but in the three years I've owned it I've learned a lot about it.

Cheers !

Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
Good luck on this and please keep us posted.

I'd do the same route you are (replacing the coils). If that doesn't cure it, best to let a dealer or mechanic trouble shoot. Electrics in these cars can be a bit of a black magic at times.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 AM
So the car is back on the road and running top notch again it was a coil that shorted out on the inside backloading the circuit and popping fuses and causing a whole host of issues. once it was unplugged the car ran with a miss obviously but no odd voltage readings or popped fuses. We replaced all of the coils with the new style OEM units and all is fine again... lets see what happens to go next lol

Thanks everyone for their input

Old 04-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Edgemonty007 has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemonty007 has a spectacular aura about
glad to hear that this was sorted out. Crazy that a shorted coil did so much.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 PM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by altesporsche
So the car is back on the road and running top notch again it was a coil that shorted out on the inside backloading the circuit and popping fuses and causing a whole host of issues. once it was unplugged the car ran with a miss obviously but no odd voltage readings or popped fuses. We replaced all of the coils with the new style OEM units and all is fine again... lets see what happens to go next lol

Thanks everyone for their input
Glad you fixed it.this is what i told you from the beginning

Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 AM
lol you did indeed ! and to be honest as much as i was skeptical as ive not seen one short out inside like that before lol Ill never doubt anything on these cars again I have spent most of my life working on and messing with cars etc.. but the amount ive learned since owning my 997 turbo is kinda scary lol .. they are amazing cars but when something goes wrong those very few times.. it tends to be the polar opposite of what you would think logically.

Originally Posted by dynamic gt2
Glad you fixed it.this is what i told you from the beginning

Old 04-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Red911TT is a splendid one to beholdRed911TT is a splendid one to beholdRed911TT is a splendid one to beholdRed911TT is a splendid one to beholdRed911TT is a splendid one to beholdRed911TT is a splendid one to beholdRed911TT is a splendid one to behold
Good to hear you got it sorted out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.