997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

4 post lift question - High lift garage cost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:19 PM
efria is on a distinguished road
4 post lift question - High lift garage cost

Not 997tt specific - I know some of the members have lifts.

I want to put a 4 post lift in my garage, but in order to do this I need to make my garage door a high lift. High lift = move the door from the current horizontal/open position, up to as close to the ceiling as possible.

I had a company give me a quote and they are in the $1500 to $2000 space. The work they described seemed excessive (to the point of replacing the entire garage door).

Have any of you changed your garage door opening to high lift? Getting a company out for a quote is a haze (conflicts with work hours), so I appreciate a ball park/should expect range of costs.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
I had them done along with new doors, and jack-shaft openers (Liftmaster 3800) so I can't quote an exact price,... but...

The track kits for the high-lift run $185 a door.

Then the springs will need to be changed as more of the door will remain in the vertical (so will be harder to lift),... and the cables on the sides will need to be longer as the jack-shaft will be higher up.

Also,.. the entire jack-shaft will need to be moved upwards by 3' (or whatever room you have).

Then you'll want jack-shaft openers if you don't have them already.

So I'd guess $600 in parts,... $300+ in installation (there's a trip out to measure,.. some careful calculations that happen,.. the ordering the parts (which they'll not likely have in stock), and a trip back to install,.. probably with 2 guys on the truck.

So $950 ish,.. then an additional $450 - $ 500 for an installed jack-shaft opener if you need that too.

Before and after.

Last edited by Duckstu; 06-10-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
I had a roll up system attached to my regular garage doors and extended the rails to the ceiling. It was a few years ago but no way was it anywhere close to $1500 and I lived in NY at the time. It was sub $1k and worked flawlessly for years.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:54 AM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Beautiful garage! I have a 4 post lift but luckily have a deep enough garage so didn't have to mess with the doors.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
jack shaft openers also need 110 volt power run to within 6ft of the opener. so figure electrical work and permits for that as well

I had easy attic access,... so it was a 15 minute DIY job. Just popped in a re-mod box by the new openers,.. and ran Romex from it to the original outlet for the old opener.

I also extended the door-bell wire for the wall mounted button at the same time.

The old outlets still serve a purpose though. They now power a couple of cord-reels.

You also have to deal with lighting. Being that there isn't an opener in the middle of the garage anymore,.. you loose those lights that come on when you come home at night. They sell a light-kit that connects to the opener via wifi (or is it bluetooth?). You'll end up also plugging that into the old outlet.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice
I just ordered both a 4 post and a highlift 9' x 7' door. The door was $1225 installed for a new steel 1-3/8" insulated door, with the windows on the top panel, and the highlift conversion. I already have the opener, but one guy snuck that in and wanted $599 for that part. So with the opener, and some new coil trim around the door frame I could see $2,000

X...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.