997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just ran an overrev report..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Over-revs are over rated
Originally Posted by au2bahn
^^+1. Of all the performance cars I have owned, the over-rev paranoia is comical.....especially from a 911. I wish I had 5s and 6s just so I can start a group separating the driving Ms Daisy types. :-). Who ever has 6s, High Five!!! For a car meant to be.
Originally Posted by RickRST
the report is innacurate, the crank sensor can have noise in it and it gives a stupid RPM value. I have seen this many times first hand.

Rick
Originally Posted by Skwerl
I love how some people run for the hills when they PPI a 997 and it has some ancient range 4s on it, but yet virtually every other manual vehicle they've ever bought could have had 3 money shifts in the last 10 miles and they'd be none the wiser.

I assume Porsche included the rev report as a way to deny warranty claims but for all the overhyped heartburn they cause I wish they hadn't.
Originally Posted by A418t81
As stated many times, this rev counter is far from accurate. The ignition ranges simply do not add up to what actually occurs when driving the car. I've gone out and documented the ignitions, done a log to 7k rpm, and then see increase in range 4s, when then highest the car ever revved was 69xx as reported by the ECU.
Originally Posted by 4ocious
Over hyped and way overrated!
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Yup, an over-squared Mezger engine (large bore, small stroke) with a low 6,800 rev-limit, over-revs for our car are ridiculously over exaggerated. If we're talking GT3 where range 4+ is 10k+, that might be a different story. Too bad there's no over-rev reports on the over priced air-cooled Porsches...
Originally Posted by pdxm5
Nobody cares about ovverrev reports anymore, half of them give error readings and the other half are not worth talking about.

There are a ton of tuned cars on stock motors with raised redlines of 7-7800 with no issues.

EXACTLY & agreed with what all the attached said!!

Do a leak down test and if all is well, then nothing is wrong with the motor period.

Only in the 911 crowd man have I experience this phenomena of over revs .... If the motor itself that is IN FRONT of you checks out well, leak down and compression test (if you must) then all is well with the motor.

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 07-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.