997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cobb AP Owners - Which Stage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 AM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Cobb AP Owners - Which Stage

Hi All,

I have a Cobb AP coming this week for my 997 Turbo and just wanted to poll how many other users are out there and what you are running. I know to get the best performance out of it, you should be getting a custom tune, but for now, I will be using just the OTS maps pre-loaded onto the AP.

Few questions

1. Which OTS map should I be running? Nothing much done to the car, just a speedtech catless 3.0" exhaust and sachs 2.5 clutch. From my research, I'll need to go with a Stage 2 91ACN (91 California Gas).

2. I currently have a 2011 Stage 1 EVOMS tune on the car (previous owner had it flashed). Since I got the car, I added the Speedtech exhaust and EVOMS let me know that their Stage 1 tune was actually meant to just make a stock car better. With the Cobb, I'm assuming it will overwrite the EVOMS flash (not a problem) but if I need to do smog, I can put it back to a Stage 0 tune correct?

3. I've read so much "hype" around tunes for these cars. For those who went from maybe stock/stage 1 tune to Cobb/Custom tune, is it really that significant?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Redwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes I have the COBB and have numerous tunes custom and stock the best is to get a custom tune to your car yes you can go back to stock in a matter of minutes

Old 07-25-2017, 12:27 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
1) Yep I would start with the "OTS Stage One ACN 91" map designed for our crappy Western US gas. You can experiment or go custom tune later.

2) Yep with the Cobb you can put it back to the stock flash in minutes. Although normally that is based on flashing a stock ECU I think, so in your situation I'd double check their docs or ask Cobb.

3) Difference is noticeable within about 15 seconds... but you already have a competitor's tune now and may notice very little. Is there an AWD dyno near you?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Originally Posted by campbellcj
1) Yep I would start with the "OTS Stage One ACN 91" map designed for our crappy Western US gas. You can experiment or go custom tune later.

2) Yep with the Cobb you can put it back to the stock flash in minutes. Although normally that is based on flashing a stock ECU I think, so in your situation I'd double check their docs or ask Cobb.

3) Difference is noticeable within about 15 seconds... but you already have a competitor's tune now and may notice very little. Is there an AWD dyno near you?
I'll check out to see if I can do some dyno pulls with the car as is and then after flashing it with OTS tune.

Why flash it with Stage 1? My understanding is that Stage 1 OTS is for a stock car

Stage1
Exhaust Requirements: Stock
Intake Requirements: Stock air box with stock air filter
Boost Targets: 16psi on Normal Mode 18psi on Sport Mode (+/-1 PSI)

Stage2
Exhaust Requirements: After-Market Exhaust System
High Flow Exhaust (larger diameter piping)
Intake Requirements: Stock airbox with stock air filter or upgraded panel filter.
Boost Targets: 17psi on normal mode, 20psi on Sport mode. (+/-1 PSI)

Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
I have a TTS with an fvd catback exhaust and stage 1 Cobb ots tune. In sport mode I notice a significant difference. I'm not sure how much boost you're running with your current tune, so the performance maybe less? I've purchased ic's, plenum and y pipe so I'm close to trying a stage 2 or 3 ots map for fun. With my previous cars, I found a custom tune to be beneficial...

Last edited by Whosdady; 07-25-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Again, from my reading, it sounds as though I'd want to be Stage 2 which is for a car with an aftermarket exhaust system. Is there a reason most of you are on Stage 1? Stage 3 I believe is once you upgrade the injectors and such.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
You are right, you should be able to use the Cobb Stage 2 map though always safest to inquire with customer service first - their folks are awesome. But starting with Stage 1 would also give you a quick way to compare to your current tune from the PO. It only takes 10-15 mins to swap out maps regardless...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.