997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Debris on top of intercooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Jasoneo5 will become famous soon enough
Debris on top of intercooler

All,

Has anybody been able to clean debris on top of the intercoolers without taking off the rear bumper and removing them? I'm hoping you can access through the wheel well but looking for some advice here.

I can hear what appears to be glass and a vacuum will not suffice in getting it out.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
There is an access hole for cleaning.

1. Jack up rear of car.
2. Remove rear wheels.
3. Use Torx bit to remove the 5 screws holding the rear fender liner.
4. You will then see a 2" diameter rubber plug on the front of the upper IC shroud. Pull that off with your fingers and you will be able to vacuum in there.

Another option would be to use a leaf-blower and blow in from the rear bumper exis. Anything loose like leaves should come flying out the fender inlets.

Last edited by Duckstu; 08-24-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Jasoneo5 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, I'll check it out! In the event that the piece exceeds the 2" Diameter, is there an alternative way to get it out?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Yes they are 2 piece. It's just the rear vertical section you need to remove.

Three torx screws a long the top,.. and 2 more near the bottom.

I just pulled mine off today to swap turbos, and I measured the port for you.

(Recent ByDesignAuto IC's)

The hole is 2.2" diameter. So unless someone forced a tennis ball down your fender,.. there shouldn't be anything in there that you can't easily remove.

Here are a couple pics of the driver's side from the front.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:26 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Just be careful when cleaning 1 it's very easy to bend the fins of the IC.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
I used a leaf blower to clean my front radiators; it worked very well. I'm going to try it for the rear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.