997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone ever wondered how aggressive straight pipes on these cars sound?

Old 09-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Rat3d M is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever wondered how aggressive straight pipes on these cars sound?

This isn't my video but it is my car featured in it so I thought I'd share. I have one of the most aggressive exhaust setups out there for these cars. If anyone has ever wondered how straight pipes sound on a 997 turbo, look no further.

again, not my video but it's my car.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
I would love to hear that beast with a better mic or digital sound recorder.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM
drabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of light
They sound coarse and pretty much like a tractor with straight pipes. X pipe design produces a much nicer sound.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM
shawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of light
In my research for an exhaust
(and I love loud systems)
i found that an xpipe design not only sounds much much better, but produces zero cabin drone (straight pipes are very droney inside) and also , maybe most importantly, produces greater power gains on the dyno than straight pipes

not sure why exactly perhaps due to better flow but that's what I found
I have recently done a review on the Speedtech x pipe catless system and have provided video for comparison

Old 09-08-2017, 02:38 AM
Thanks for all the input. This setup was on the car when I bought it and I've shopped around for a different setup a few times. I personally love this sound but It's very loud and I know it isn't for everyone. Not my daily so drone doesn't bother me much.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM
superslow is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my speedtech catless x pipe. Loud and fast

Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Straight pipes are loud as shyte........ and total drone in the cabin. I cannot see how it can be used on the road. I looked at them closely and have been asking Santa for an x-pipe design, which I think sounds heads and shoulders better than straight pipes.

But to be honest at the end of the day it is next to impossible to make a turbo car sound as sexy as a V8, but the x-pipe is the closest in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 AM
1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !
I have sorta straight pipes on my 997.2, sounds amazing. I'll try and upload a video.
So my setup is. Tow tips on exit. Off the turbo, it Y pipes, one direction straight out the back thru one pipe. I also have this pipe on a electronically controlled vacuum activated valve (allows me to open or close valve from inside the cabin). Other tube goes to the stock muffler and then out he second tail pipe.
Best of both worlds! Rally trick system that was custom made on my car. Don't think I've seen this anywhere else. I'll post a vid and pics when I get a chance.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Loving that turbo whistle, there is nothing better.

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
I have sorta straight pipes on my 997.2, sounds amazing. I'll try and upload a video.
So my setup is. Tow tips on exit. Off the turbo, it Y pipes, one direction straight out the back thru one pipe. I also have this pipe on a electronically controlled vacuum activated valve (allows me to open or close valve from inside the cabin). Other tube goes to the stock muffler and then out he second tail pipe.
Best of both worlds! Rally trick system that was custom made on my car. Don't think I've seen this anywhere else. I'll post a vid and pics when I get a chance.
Is it custom or off the shelf?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Sorry, it sounds like crap. And, with O back pressure your valves won't be around for long.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
JF22 is a jewel in the roughJF22 is a jewel in the roughJF22 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
sounds like description of my exhaust Cargraphic with flaps

Last edited by JF22; 09-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 PM
1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JF22
sounds like description of my exhaust Cargraphic with flaps
Basically yep, same thing but I'm using stock mufflers and no cats

Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
Loving that turbo whistle, there is nothing better.
Is it custom or off the shelf?
It's a custom made system. Def hear the turbos whistling away.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Sorry, it sounds like crap. And, with O back pressure your valves won't be around for long.
I'm pretty sure the turbos create enough back pressure on their own that this won't be an issue. But I'll report back in 5 years when the car is still running strong.

thanks for the input

Old 09-18-2017, 07:48 PM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

I like them loud too Rat... my only regret with a EP2 is that it's not louder.
Glad you're enjoying the car.

Last edited by CTDan; 09-18-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.