997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo Modification Plan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:14 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Irishace
Folks,

Would love the community's input on the following modification plan for my car. All work will be done at once and over winter when the car is effectively stored. My budget is $10,000 and I would love people's input on my selection of mods (both brand and mod type) based on your experiences. My goal is to achieve best bang for my buck without compromising the quality of the components I put in my car. For now, this is a Stock Turbo build with plans to upgrade turbos in 2019. The car is virgin to mods with the exception of a stage 1 OTS oobb tune. I will have PTF pro tune it post surgery. Thanks for thoughts and opinions.

Intercoolers: Markski 4.5 $2495

Exhaust: Kline $2599

Intake: IPD intake plenum $995

Clutch: Sachs 2.5 $1695

Methanol: Aquamist HSF 4 $850

Springs: H&R sport springs $334

Total $8968

Leaves me $1000 install money.
Good looking mod list (with DO88s) but I can tell you firsthand that the install money allotment ain't even close. You'll definitely save money getting multiple things done at once but just removing and reinstalling the engine would cost more than $1000

I hope you do the meth kit - I've considered it and wouldn't mind seeing how it works if someone else tried it first. Too bad we don't have access to e85 up here.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM
altesporsche is on a distinguished road
lol what a coincidence running nearly the same setup in the same city. mine are 68vtgs as well. I bought them used though. Kevin at UMW is who I use for tuning, I do the logging up north (quiet long stretches of road) and then email him the files and he tweaks them. I have the DO88 intake pipes as well but not installed, they showed up late. Im on a bad clutch now that's starting to slip (GT2) So the Sachs II.5 will be going in when I get time and then im going to be re tuning the car.

I do most of my installs if I can get at it and for the stuff I cant I use Central Import for any parts I need installed, A lot of the performance shops seem to arrogant in the GTA so I just simply don't bother. I walked my mechanic through the coolant pinning as most places didn't like the idea of it and im ultra **** over my car lol

I have to look over my old data runs and check my IATs, I know I picked up a lot of timing after going from petro can 94 to Esso 93. At the time I had so much trouble getting my car to run right, that once I got it running smooth and strong I left it so I could enjoy it for a while lol

maybe next time around ill look into the aquamist setup, seeing im forcing a lot more air in there with the 68s, I will likely pick up some power up top as I am running a boost taper right now to 20psi in the upper range.

Ill have a look at your other post.. im weary of mechanics in the GTA dealer or not. Most times I watch over the shoulders lol some don't like it, but when its my engine and money if it goes wrong and they don't seem too sure of what they are doing at times, I always want to know what they are doing.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
altes, looking at your sig it looks like we have similar mods - which Champion turbos do you have? I have the 68vtgs, do88 intake pipes, Cobb dynotune from PTF, GT2RS I/cs, Sachs II.5, and also in the Toronto area, lol.

Which shop do you use? Who did your coolant line pinning?

If you read my upcoming posts in the other thread you will see I had some problems related to the shop that did my pinning.

The bigger turbos most definitely have a problem with heat generation if you try to maintain boost in the upper rpms. Do a third gear pull and log the iats and watch how quickly they rise. I'm going to compare a tune with boost maintained all the way up with a tapering boost curve to see what the difference is in 60-100mph time, 60-130 etc... and if there isn't much difference it's because of the increased heat....

Old 10-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
Dzenno and I go to boost theory in oakville. Lots of experience pulling the motor and pinning the lines. Z is a very capable mechanic and very down to earth.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:37 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Irishace
Dzenno and I go to boost theory in oakville. Lots of experience pulling the motor and pinning the lines. Z is a very capable mechanic and very down to earth.
Z pinned my lines. I don't know if he personally did everything or if his guys helped but someone made the decision to put a generic piece of hose on the coolant return line from the turbos and that one split near the Jubilee clamp, and a number of the clamps are NOT the proper ones (the proper ones have a tapered edge so they won't cut into the hoses).

He is a good guy and seems capable but this shortcut has been costly for me so far and could potentially get far more costly.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Hmmm using a jubilee clamp on that for anything other than an emergency was an amateur move to make. Shortcuts like this are not performed by a competent tech. I know where I would be barking if I were you. There is a reason jubilee clamps are banned for use in my industry and this is a shining example.

Z pinned my lines. I don't know if he personally did everything or if his guys helped but someone made the decision to put a generic piece of hose on the coolant return line from the turbos and that one split near the Jubilee clamp, and a number of the clamps are NOT the proper ones (the proper ones have a tapered edge so they won't cut into the hoses).

He is a good guy and seems capable but this shortcut has been costly for me so far and could potentially get far more costly.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by altesporsche
lol what a coincidence running nearly the same setup in the same city. mine are 68vtgs as well. I bought them used though. Kevin at UMW is who I use for tuning, I do the logging up north (quiet long stretches of road) and then email him the files and he tweaks them. I have the DO88 intake pipes as well but not installed, they showed up late. Im on a bad clutch now that's starting to slip (GT2) So the Sachs II.5 will be going in when I get time and then im going to be re tuning the car.

I do most of my installs if I can get at it and for the stuff I cant I use Central Import for any parts I need installed, A lot of the performance shops seem to arrogant in the GTA so I just simply don't bother. I walked my mechanic through the coolant pinning as most places didn't like the idea of it and im ultra **** over my car lol

I have to look over my old data runs and check my IATs, I know I picked up a lot of timing after going from petro can 94 to Esso 93. At the time I had so much trouble getting my car to run right, that once I got it running smooth and strong I left it so I could enjoy it for a while lol

maybe next time around ill look into the aquamist setup, seeing im forcing a lot more air in there with the 68s, I will likely pick up some power up top as I am running a boost taper right now to 20psi in the upper range.

Ill have a look at your other post.. im weary of mechanics in the GTA dealer or not. Most times I watch over the shoulders lol some don't like it, but when its my engine and money if it goes wrong and they don't seem too sure of what they are doing at times, I always want to know what they are doing.
I know what you mean, sometimes you wonder if people are learning on your car. Many shops talk a big game about their experience with the car but in the end it's still a bit of a gamble.

Seriously, you got better results with Esso 93 over Ultra 94????? I had my tune tweaked for Ultra 94, had no idea the Esso 93 was good.

You'll definitely get value from the larger intake pipes. I assume you have larger fuel injectors than stock - otherwise your injector duty cycles will be very high even on pump gas.

Sachs II.5 is very good. I like the way it feels and it holds the power. I heard the Proto dual disc is stronger but I think it costs more.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Oh and I changed to the Bosch motorsports plugs at Dzenno's suggestion. On the dyno there was some "scatter" with stock plugs that were gapped down.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 PM
haha yes they do talk a big game but in the end there are not many of these cars around and even less who are modifying them, so reality is they don't have a lot of experience with them. These 997TTs have their things about them and sending a mechanic at them who has not had previous experience with them will cost a lot of money.

Yea I couldn't get anything good out of ultra 94, the knock signatures were the same as if I was running 91. It was miles ahead on the Esso 93 when I was logging.
Yes my injectors are at the end of their rope and kinda limited us when we were tuning. Its one of the next things on my list that I stupidly skipped when my engine was out. there were a lot of things if I had my time back I would have done differently, but the car was new, I was excited and well you know how it goes lol

The Sachs from everything I have read is the best route for the power I intend on making (I don't want a stupidly high amount of power)

I know what you mean, sometimes you wonder if people are learning on your car. Many shops talk a big game about their experience with the car but in the end it's still a bit of a gamble.

Seriously, you got better results with Esso 93 over Ultra 94????? I had my tune tweaked for Ultra 94, had no idea the Esso 93 was good.

You'll definitely get value from the larger intake pipes. I assume you have larger fuel injectors than stock - otherwise your injector duty cycles will be very high even on pump gas.

Sachs II.5 is very good. I like the way it feels and it holds the power. I heard the Proto dual disc is stronger but I think it costs more.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of

damn that is really disappointing to hear.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the offending part - sorry for the blurry pic, my phone wouldn't focus properly when I took it. Note the indentations on the tubing from the clamp. The second pic is a side view showing that the clamps were probably too tight. Oh where is that angry emoji....

This is part of the coolant return line from the turbos.

I'm still driving the car around waiting to see if the coolant level drops to suggest damage to the head gasket. fingers crossed.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:08 PM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Ugh

seeing the pics makes me nervous as bt pinned mine also.

Z doesnt do the work afaik. Its the heavier set guy who seemed to do all my work.....

......maaaaaaaan. Not good

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by faiz
seeing the pics makes me nervous as bt pinned mine also.

Z doesnt do the work afaik. Its the heavier set guy who seemed to do all my work.....

......maaaaaaaan. Not good
Ahhhh, I took the car back after the first pinning (made it half way home) with a coolant leak. The heavy set guy was the one who took a look at it.

I'm just waiting to see if I continue to lose coolant before I call BT and let them know what's up. So far it hasn't dropped.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 AM
Yes seeing those pictures really hurts. Thanks for sharing and thank you for the heads up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.