997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 turbo upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Miamivice997 is a splendid one to beholdMiamivice997 is a splendid one to beholdMiamivice997 is a splendid one to beholdMiamivice997 is a splendid one to beholdMiamivice997 is a splendid one to beholdMiamivice997 is a splendid one to behold
997.1 turbo upgrades

i have an 09 TT 6 spd turbo. I've already done the following upgrades:

Do88 intercoolers
sachs 2.5 clutch
tubi exhaust ( no cats)
1000cc injectors
do88 inlet pipes
coolant fittings pinned
Stage 3 cobb tune

car is running strong but it's time to add some more power💪🏻. Been reading allot on the forums but everything I've read is a couple years old. Was wandering what are people's thoughts on turbo upgrades. I drive 99% of the time on the street. I'm not looking for peak power just something very usable. 60-130 pulls? Is 650-700 whp attainable? My tuner reccomended the champion 68mm VTG's, and said they are hands down the best. Those are also 5 grand pluss install. Another friend of mine said to go with 63.5mm vtg's from proto. Those are about half the price but obviously smaller. Any thoughts ? I'm probably leaving some details out but would appreciate some input.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I went from the Proto 63s to the Champion 68s. Imho, it was worth the money difference because the Champion 68s on pump gas are like the Protos on racegas/e85. I have an old thread with the pbox performance comparison numbers. The biggest difference was from a roll around 75mph to about 125mph where there was a difference of about a second if I remember correctly. From 60-100mph there was a difference of 0.4s which is probably 4 car lengths.
The other thing to consider is the xona 3073 or 3076 for just a little more money. To be honest, after reading everyone else's big build projects it made me itch just a little for a bit more power. I only use pump gas so there's no point in going crazy with turbos for pumpgas and I'm trying to determine how much gain there would be for me specifically. The 68s are a really good turbo and obviously use the stock coolant and oil lines and ecu control. They are quite powerful and satisfy me pretty much 99% of the time. The 63s are also really good but since you've already put in the larger inlet pipes and injectors I would vote for the extra few grand and get the 68s. Not to be a shill, but I'm considering upgrading my Champion 68s and if you were serious then send me a PM.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:44 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
The EFR turbos sound interesting, I'm just wondering why there is very little data about them on this forum on a 997tt...

Old 11-24-2017, 07:58 AM
I read that thread which was awesome. But I'm looking for a more modest build with EFR turbos to compare with the Xona options.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Pendl303 has a spectacular aura aboutPendl303 has a spectacular aura about
I am also looking to do a light turbo build over winter. Might be a foolish question but are the champion 68's the same wheel used in Sam's 68's

Old 11-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Miamivice997
i have an 09 TT 6 spd turbo. I've already done the following upgrades:

Do88 intercoolers
sachs 2.5 clutch
tubi exhaust ( no cats)
1000cc injectors
do88 inlet pipes
coolant fittings pinned
Stage 3 cobb tune

car is running strong but it's time to add some more power💪🏻. Been reading allot on the forums but everything I've read is a couple years old. Was wandering what are people's thoughts on turbo upgrades. I drive 99% of the time on the street. I'm not looking for peak power just something very usable. 60-130 pulls? Is 650-700 whp attainable? My tuner reccomended the champion 68mm VTG's, and said they are hands down the best. Those are also 5 grand pluss install. Another friend of mine said to go with 63.5mm vtg's from proto. Those are about half the price but obviously smaller. Any thoughts ? I'm probably leaving some details out but would appreciate some input.
Good question Miami. There are several ways to go about it. But some important boxes to check first. Feel free to reach out if I can help.

- What fuel will you be running?
- Use for the car?
- Do you mind running a boost controller?
- Any potential bigger plans in the future?
- Budget?

You can hit 700AWHP with a good VTG set-up and good tuning safely depending on fuel.

Originally Posted by Pendl303
I am also looking to do a light turbo build over winter. Might be a foolish question but are the champion 68's the same wheel used in Sam's 68's
Not foolish at all. We in fact do both have the turbochargers built to spec by TiAL. There are literally hundreds of successful 65 and 68mm VTG upgraded cars out there clients are quite happy with. For more potential people do go larger non-VTG set-ups. For that I recommend working with an experienced and reputable provider/tuner so that you get all the facts and support to make the decision that suits you best.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
I went from the Proto 63s to the Champion 68s. Imho, it was worth the money difference because the Champion 68s on pump gas are like the Protos on racegas/e85. I have an old thread with the pbox performance comparison numbers. The biggest difference was from a roll around 75mph to about 125mph where there was a difference of about a second if I remember correctly. From 60-100mph there was a difference of 0.4s which is probably 4 car lengths.
The other thing to consider is the xona 3073 or 3076 for just a little more money. To be honest, after reading everyone else's big build projects it made me itch just a little for a bit more power. I only use pump gas so there's no point in going crazy with turbos for pumpgas and I'm trying to determine how much gain there would be for me specifically. The 68s are a really good turbo and obviously use the stock coolant and oil lines and ecu control. They are quite powerful and satisfy me pretty much 99% of the time. The 63s are also really good but since you've already put in the larger inlet pipes and injectors I would vote for the extra few grand and get the 68s. Not to be a shill, but I'm considering upgrading my Champion 68s and if you were serious then send me a PM.
Hey bud! Nice chatting. Ready when you are and we will get you set-up!

Old 11-24-2017, 05:03 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
any point going beyond 700hp and 650 torque to the wheels? at that point, you're in the rod bending risk territory

Old 11-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Thanks for the insight, Bogg. How's the spool with the Proto 63 and Champ 68's? Comparable to stock? Quicker or slower to boost than stock? Thanks

Old 11-24-2017, 06:24 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
I have the 63s and I have data for the 68s both on e85. My 63s are at 22.5psi by 3500rpm. The 68s hit that pressure around 3800rpm. Both are plenty fast for street. I have compared my 63s to my stock turbos and it’s hard to see any difference in terms of response. They spool up like stock with a lot more top end. There is plenty of data on my build thread if you want to read thru

The 68s will flow more air at the higher engine speeds but are more money. Depends on goals. Any of these will deliver 700whp on ethanol with stock like drivability.

I should probably add based on the data I have seen from the TiAL 68s I believe you can stretch the car to 750whp on e85 on the stock engine. I don’t think anyone has done it yet but the data says yes. Jaime’s car I bet can do it. All good choices. Warning you will be hooked like all of us and want to go even bigger lol. Enjoy

Last edited by M3 Maestro; 11-24-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Thanks for the insight, Bogg. How's the spool with the Proto 63 and Champ 68's? Comparable to stock? Quicker or slower to boost than stock? Thanks
In terms of real world use, with a good tune you don't notice that the power comes on a few hundred rpm higher with the 68s because the 997.1tt is geared very well for acceleration. The power in the midband is significantly better with the 68s vs the 63s on pumpgas. I didn't have e85 available for either turbo but looking at what others have achieved I think that either one is good for sub-6s 60-130mph times which is really fast. Bottom line - if you have access to e85 then save your money and get the 63s. If you are like me and have only pumpgas then I would recommend the 68s because there is stronger performance in the typical highway pull speeds (60-125mph)

Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I always say a good consultation with a trusted tuner may be the only way to know what shoe will fit best. None are perfect and some will only tell you about their shoe ; )

Old 11-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Nein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to behold
Go with sams 68VTG and you won’t regret it later and spend the money twice when you want more power!!

Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pendl303
Short answer yes.

Longer answer, maybe. Older Champion 68's were built with the FP/Xona HTA wheels, the newer ones are built with the FP/Xona HTZ wheels. All of Sam's stuff is HTZ aero now too.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Rez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm running A28's on pump. 670whp. the car is awesome.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks guys. I think we have Jaime pretty close to about 750 now with some room but want it to be smooth and as safe as possible. The 68's definitely have the ability to get to 700 wheel with less effort and pushing. He will post up when we are done I am sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 turbo upgrades