997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Xonas are on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I was looking at my old 68 datalogs and at the time I thought it was great that the car held max boost of 22.6psi all the way up to redline. Those of you in the know already understand that at some point the extra boost just creates higher iats without making more power. You wouldn't necessarily know that from the logs - you'd need to see the dyno effect of incrementally increasing and holding the boost. I guess you could always do 60-100mph pulls in third gear and see the effect of boost changes and stop adding boost when the performance numbers plateau. I never appreciated that pearl of wisdom but I did notice at the track that by the time I got into 5th gear on the back straight the iats would increase rapidly. If I had kept the 68s I would have probably backed off on the boost in the higher rpms, and I would have put the DO88 Big Pack on...these things rock.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IMI A
Xonas really only start coming into their sweet spot 1.5 bar onwards and you obviously need forged rods etc to make them work in that zone.
Just for comparision: my car does 75-110 mph in 2.26 seconds in 4th gear and with "only" 1.6 bar until around 5000 rpm. More boost below that and my tires spin in 4th. We are talking of a little over 1200 Nm here / 885 ft lb.

3rd gear is limited to 1.4 bar or tires will just spin.

More sticky tires and hell brakes lose with these Tials and this is the older technology. I wouldn't even think a second of changing to VTG technology. These only have downsides and no real advantage - just my opinion.

Last edited by GT996; 05-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
That is craaazy fast GT996! What turbos? So what is your boost at 3500rpm? 4000rpm? After 5000rpm? What kind of gas?

Cruising at 74mph is about 4k rpm in 4th gear. Your turbos must come on instantly in order to get that time of 2.26s. I assume you aren't just extrapolating that time from a 60-130 run or something?

Old 05-30-2018, 08:55 PM
I turned the "offset" on the boost controller down to 80% from 100% default and whaddayaknow the boost creep spike is gone. I may feed a little bit back in and see what it does to the pbox times...

Took my bro for a drive and hit it in 2nd gear - his first response was that these turbos pulled harder than the 68s. That's 2 butt dynos that agree, lol.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Bogg what comes after you dial this in? 109? Methanol? Glad to hear the boost is dialing in.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:20 AM
I wish. These turbos were always going to be a pumpgas upgrade. Based on my research there were some gains to be had with these turbos on pumpgas over the 68s. In order to get the MOST out of them it would be better to use 109/meth/e85 but that isn't in the cards for me...

After they are dialed in....I will continue to drive the car, lol.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
After they are dialed in....I will continue to drive the car, lol.

I need to have your discipline Bogg, good man. Sam can attest to this, I'll be asking for more before we finish dialing in the first one

Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
I need to have your discipline Bogg, good man. Sam can attest to this, I'll be asking for more before we finish dialing in the first one
LOL!! Your a bad, bad guy...reminds me of someone...hey that’s me!!

Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 PM
lol...I was also looking for "a little bit more" until I saw what more power does - I'm not sure what exactly happened but it was a combination of factors that must have seriously increased power in the 4-5k rpm range, probably a boost spike with the way I had the controller configured. Anyway, I pulled on to the road from the onramp in third gear and proceeded to datalog and floored it in 3rd. This is the first time EVER that the car scrambled for traction in 3rd gear and the traction control lights were flashing like crazy. So THAT is what the big power feels like, lol. Looking at the logs there was a bit of a boost spike. Fun for a run or 2 but I wouldn't like it that way for regular use or at the track. Turns out it was a "one off" anyway.

Best advice when adjusting the boost controller is RTFM, lol (read the #%% manual for those that can't be bothered googling what it means, lol). When the turbos were installed the shop set the baseline boost in the controller to 1 bar which is what we assumed the wastegate springs were set at. Well it turns out that they actually hit 19.6psi max just on wastegate pressure alone. I didn't think it was a big deal that the setting that was put in the boost controller was not the "real" number but after I inputted the real number I was amazed at how much better the car drove overall. Super smooth and pulled really hard. Unfortunately it started to rain so I couldn't get any numbers...

Old 06-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Some turbo ****:

Old 06-03-2018, 07:52 PM

Here's the bad boy getting installed. I had no idea where the wastegate emptied, lol, but if you look at the end that connects to the exhaust you see that there is a concentric exhaust path which is used when the wastegate is open. Pretty cool.

The astute amongst you will notice something missing...the little oil catch cans that are a necessary part of the installation. Well guess what, when the shop took off the Champion 68s and I shipped them to a 6speeder in Florida the oil cans were still on the turbos. I wasn't able to get a hold of the buyer but I doubt he'd still have the oil cans anyway. I guess I'll see a little bump in the final bill, lol.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:07 PM

The lines going to the Xonas are the stock car parts with the exception of the braided hose seen in the pic. That line must be made of solid gold for what it cost...or maybe fool's gold, lol. It joins the hose on the other side via a t-adaptor and this is the coolant supply to the turbos.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Here's one of the brand spankin new oil catch cans. The original turbo heat shield is on but it doesn't quite fit - it needed a little trimming and the attachment point that would normally bolt onto the oil catch can was cut off so it wouldn't rattle. Great attention to detail from my shop...

Old 06-03-2018, 08:24 PM

Don't try this at home! Thanks to M3Maestro for the picture he sent me which showed where the bovs could be welded. I gave it to my shop who gave it to the welder. Obviously it had to be measured specifically for placement and the welder even factored in the orientation of the welded piece so that the bov nozzle would point in the right direction!

Old 06-03-2018, 08:25 PM

the end result. Apparently it's supposed to be the vband version of the bov that gets welded but he did it for me anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xonas are on!