997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I wanted to say hello and introduce you to the, new to me, 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM
86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold
Using the data logs Sam used the virtual dyno to show about where the car sits with power.

93 octane

E85

Last edited by 86merc; 10-12-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Nice work guys, enjoy the new found power. This is a great setup for the 997s

Old 10-05-2018, 10:31 AM
86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Nice work guys, enjoy the new found power. This is a great setup for the 997s
It is nice to have proven parts and combos since the platform has been out a while. But it seems there are still new parts and advancements taking place. I am glad I went with the additional parts. Especially the upgrade turbos. The power is great to have and the car is just a blast to drive. It really does run well without any weird quirks to deal with. I can leave it in non-Sport mode and it is docile and easy to drive around town. Put it in Sport mode and the throttle changes make it seem peppier. It is a well-rounded car.

The next round of mods will be the suspension come spring. Then I can hit the road course and see how I do with the car. That should be interesting with even the power it makes on 93 octane.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
She is looking good buddy and cheers! Can't wait to verify the numbers on the real dyno.
Now that the tune is done I am going to contact a guy Eric knows with an AWD dyno and the guys at AMS. See if I can get a few runs in the next week or two. I'll be sure to report back when I get the dyno results.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:36 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Great car. Great set of mods. Sam is an asset to the community as is M3. I need to get off my duff and get some modded VTGs sometime in the not too distant future as well.

Glad you have unlocked the potential of your car. I’m always a bit sad for these guys who poke around in their low mile, stock 997s to cars and coffee. They have zero idea of what the car is actually capable of and how fun they actually are with a few well chosen mods.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by A418t81
Great car. Great set of mods. Sam is an asset to the community as is M3. I need to get off my duff and get some modded VTGs sometime in the not too distant future as well.

Glad you have unlocked the potential of your car. I’m always a bit sad for these guys who poke around in their low mile, stock 997s to cars and coffee. They have zero idea of what the car is actually capable of and how fun they actually are with a few well chosen mods.
I have read some good info as I read older forum posts reading up on these cars. It is nice to have people posting relevant and accurate info to help others out.

The cost of the upgraded turbos was not bad at all. Especially when compared to turbos that need fabrication or full on kits to work. Having similar power on 93 octane as a stock turbo car has on e85 is worth the price alone. Then add more power with E85? Ya, no regrets here!

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Yasssss! Cheers Greyson. Mike I am going to chat with the AMS guys Monday. That would be awesome.
I'l call them tomorrow unless you already set something up for me. Some VIP service or something. hahaha

Old 10-11-2018, 04:10 PM
The car sure loved the 40-degree temps on the drive to work this morning. Like Warp Speed! haha Sure made for an exhilarating morning drive to work. haha Thanks Sam!

I made an appointment for a dyno session to see where the power is at on the 24th. So real numbers coming soon.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Are the graphs above for pumpgas in the upper one and e85 on the lower one?

Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 AM
Yes, that is correct. I edited the post to reflect that.

Last edited by 86merc; 10-12-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 AM
ctglass is an unknown quantity at this point
Gorgeous 997!

Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Thank you

Old 10-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Since Sam had the tune dialed in using 3rd gear logs on the street, I figured I would put it on a dyno to see what it makes. I don't have dyno runs for before and after the mods. It was more to see the powerband graph, see where power starts to drop off, and know what numbers it was putting down. I wanted to get the car on an all wheel drive dyno that had linked front and rear rollers and eddy current. I figured a Mustang Dyno was the best route. On Mustang Dyno's website, I found Komet Motorsports in St. Charles has the dyno I was looking for. I had not had any experience with them. Later I had found out that some friends have used this shop with great results over the years. Kurt there was helpful and awesome to deal with.

Kurt made the first rip and WOW was it loud in the building! In the car the exhaust volume is pretty tame but sounds good. The Kline 3" to 2.5" catless exhaust is very quiet at idle and cruising. At part throttle, it gains some volume and sounds great. At WOT it is somewhat loud but not horrible. But in the building, it was crazy how loud it was and it sounded a lot different. It was a much higher tone. It just caught me off guard with the volume on the first pull. haha But I am very pleased with the tone and volume of the system in the car. Friends tell me it sounds great from outside the car as well.

On the Muatang dyno the car made 665 whp / 646 wtq on e85. So it is right around the numbers we expected. Sam thought that based on the logs, and his experience, it would be about 720-730 whp on a Dynojet. You typically hear people say the Mustang dyno read about 10 percent less than a Dynojet. If you add in 10% it is right where Sam said it would be. No matter what the peak numbers were, it is nice to see the hp and torque curves and where the power hits a plateau. No matter what, the car flat out rips. But it is nice to see the numbers and the torque & HP curves.

I want to give a big shout out to Sam @ By Design for the great service and help along the way. As well as a tune that is smooth and makes great power. I also want to thank my Buddy Eric @echerbst for allowing me to take over his lift for days on end and thrashing to get all this work done. As well and teaching me a lot about this platform. This would not have happened without either of them. So thank you, guys!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FGOIp1m.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	784.0 KB
ID:	536764

Video of one of the runs

Last edited by 86merc; 10-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:36 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
I think those numbers are about right. We can run the virtual dyno on the mustang dyno setting and compare as well.

Nice job enjoy it

Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
I think those numbers are about right. We can run the virtual dyno on the mustang dyno setting and compare as well.

Nice job enjoy it
The numbers are about what I expected with what Sam told me the two of you saw with the data logs.

It would be interesting to see what the virtual dyno would show with Mustang dyno setting. The virtual dyno with the Dynojet setting, shown above, shows a lot more torque than even if you add 10% to the numbers on the Mustang dyno. I don't get hung up on dyno numbers. But I am curious what it would show.

Thanks. I am having a blast with the car. Sadly it is about time for winter storage here in Chicago. :cry:

Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I assume the dyno was with e85? My dyno numbers on pump on same type of dyno were about 75hp and 75tq less with my 68s

Old 10-26-2018, 11:56 AM
Yes, this was on E85. It would be interesting to see how the two compare under the peak numbers. Mainly how the torque down low looks on the two setups. I could see where 93 might have limitations down low versus the e85. But then again, the torque is limited on these stock motors anyways.

Last edited by 86merc; 10-26-2018 at 12:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I wanted to say hello and introduce you to the, new to me, 997.1 Turbo