997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hang on to your 997 turbos!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 06:42 PM
Cubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by letMeIn
who cares about future value. They are amazing cars, and Porsche won't make them again. Life is short, enjoy them while you can, you never know what tomorrow brings. I bought an '07 TT for myself, not for the next guy, not to make a profit. Next year I will pick up 997 GT3 or GT3RS, but TT ain't going no where
You there...are my hero! Well said and exactly my sentiment. I could give 2 f..ks about the value of my car. I bought it to enjoy it and that I have certainly done. I wish to one day own a GT3 (manual) in addition but not at the expense of my turbo.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:35 PM
mr_dennis_s is infamous around these parts
The 997 with a manual plus the metzger motor will make these cars always be sought after.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 PM
4flynlow is infamous around these parts
I do not understand the desire to drive a 997 TT in a MT.
I have a 1997 MT 993 TT because that was all they made.
I have a 2012 PDK 997.2 TTS and after driving the 997.1 MT cars considered it far better and faster.
I also own a 2018 PDK 991.2 TTS and rarely take it out of drive,but like the 997.2 can shift it manually via the shift lever or paddles.
When I am on the gas in the two later model cars it is all i can do to keep them pointed in the right direction and I cant imagine wanting to try and shift at the same time!

Last edited by 4flynlow; 01-02-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:56 PM
letMeIn is infamous around these parts
lol good one

Originally Posted by 4flynlow
I have a 2012 PDK 997.2 TTS and after driving the 997.1 MT cars considered it far better and faster.
I also own a PDK 991.2 TTS and rarely take it out of drive,but like the 997.2 can shift it manually via the shift lever or paddles.
When I am on the gas in the two later model cars it is all i can do to keep them pointed in the right direction and I cant imagine wanting to try and shift at the same time!

Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Build one to about 900hp with fully built Metzger 3.8. You'll understand then. Nothing like shifting a manual metzger at 8k rpm.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Cubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to behold
I also own a 2018 PDK 991.2 TTS and rarely take it out of drive,but like the 997.2 can shift it manually via the shift lever or paddles.

different strokes for different folks I guess. I can’t and won’t ever own a sports car that is not manual. The feeling of throwing that gear **** and getting that perfect shift at the perfect RPM range or blipping the throttle just perfectly before entering a turn and perfecting the downshift in harmony with the engine, to me it’s just absolutely unmatched.

I would love a PDK or an autonomous driving car to drive every day to work or to grab the groceries or do some errands, but for my 5am crack of dawn perfect no traffic country roads drive, I MUST have my third pedal and hear that engine breath between shifts.

my 2c.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:21 AM
kamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to all
Originally Posted by letMeIn
who cares about future value. They are amazing cars, and Porsche won't make them again. Life is short, enjoy them while you can, you never know what tomorrow brings. I bought an '07 TT for myself, not for the next guy, not to make a profit. Next year I will pick up 997 GT3 or GT3RS, but TT ain't going no where
where do i pound the 'Like' button on this forum?

AMEN to that!!!

Originally Posted by Cubes
You there...are my hero! Well said and exactly my sentiment. I could give 2 f..ks about the value of my car. I bought it to enjoy it and that I have certainly done. I wish to one day own a GT3 (manual) in addition but not at the expense of my turbo.
i agree! cars are meant to be driven... i have too many friends that bought their dream cars and are too afraid to drive them, thinking that they would go down in value and don' want to put miles on them... it's insured, go out and have fun... if something happens, go get another one and repeat...

Old 01-03-2020, 07:38 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Wow, 3 911's including a 993? I am just grateful to be able to own one of these.

I think for most of us, the main reason for a MT car is being more connected to the vehicle and the driving experience. I am making the decision when and what gear I want to be in, not a computer. I know what RPM I want the car running for whatever maneuver I am about to pull, and while the PDK's are truly amazing (my '08 Audi S6 only came in a dual clutch auto), I would much rather drive, and I mean truly drive, my MT cars.

You could probably liken it to the difference between piloting a glider and driving a powered plane. While in both you are "flying", one requires a much more connected approach to staying aloft, and I would argue, a much more enjoyable experience.

Ed

Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Skwerl is infamous around these partsSkwerl is infamous around these parts
I understand we all have different ways of enjoying the car hobby, but when someone justifies PDK with "it's faster!" I know that we simply aren't on the same page. I'd take any 90s manual supercar, probably with a 0-60 of a slow 4.8 seconds or something, over a PDK 2020 spaceship with a 10.1 quarter mile or whatever, because it's not about just pure speed and unapproachable limits for me.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:51 PM
SBG200 is infamous around these parts
I am the proud owner of an '08 TT Tiptronic, and although there are days I miss the manual it's definitely a better tool for slogging through traffic most of the time. And the "Tiptronic discount" didn't hurt my feelings either.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
me too lol

I am admittedly not that coordinated so the MT never interested me (don't flame me as I have dirt bikes if I feel the need for an old school clutch)...bought a 997.1 Turbo and hated the crappy Tip so got rid of it. Once the PDK came out, I pounced again and never looked back. Love my aerokit turbo and pdk more as each year goes by, and i have bought and sold a bunch of cars since...and it remains in my stable and will forever. Don't care one whit about whether it is considered somehow worse off or economically inferior from a value standpoint due to its DFI non-Metzger cuz the performance at launch still blurs my eyes. My concern about future value starts and ends with my investment accounts only lol. Cheers to all! These are decidedly first world issues.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NWturbo
Your analogy is flawed. You cannot compare a Carrera GTs value as only 1,270 units were made vs the 31,900 units produced for the 997 Turbo.

A 997 Turbo cannot be compared to a Carrera GT and the GTs rise in value. The 997 Turbo simply will not appreciate in this manner.

Sorry, wishful thinking. And I own a 997.1 Turbo.
Now subtract the cabs and tips that were made because those are not "sought after" models, and just focus on how many MT coupes were made and are still in excellent condition with less than 30K miles today. Project those out for the next 10 years because those will be the ones that will be in high demand

Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 PM
MoeMonney is infamous around these parts
You should try a Tesla Model S Performance, No gear changes and faster that a 991 Turbo S. The manual cars are interactive and fun. Different tastes for different people. Both are nice in their own ways.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 PM
MoeMonney is infamous around these parts
Old 02-09-2020, 06:32 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
I actually prefer my 16 GT4 over my 11 TTS. The fun factor is awesome. The 16 GT4 is still selling at 10% below MSRP and holding it's value very well. Is it a future collectible, perhaps and the release of the 718 GT4 later this year will initially hurt the 16's value. But I expect that won't last too long as former 16 GT4 owners sell their 20 GT4's and revert back to what is without a doubt the better of the two driver GT4's. IMO, buy a 16 GT4 in the next two years before prices increase.

Last edited by 4ocious; 02-09-2020 at 07:18 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hang on to your 997 turbos!