997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

911 Turbo won't turn over after battery change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 02:20 PM
tcbonerb is an unknown quantity at this point
911 Turbo won't turn over after battery change

I own a 2008 911 Turbo Porsche (30,211 miles). About a week ago the battery finally went dead - needed a new one. I replaced the old battery with a new one and the car started right up - no problems. About an hour later - the car would not even turn over and a message came on the dash: PSM issue. After doing some research on line, on this site and others - I realized the electrical circuit for starting had shut down. Finally, after a week of trying a lot of different things I finally called AAA to deliver my car to the local dealer. By this time I realized the cars' electrcial system needed to be reset - this happens when you replace the battery.

Once my car was half way on the flatbed tow truck, I turned on the iginition - it was already in neutral and I wanted to put the top up (rain was coming). With the car in neutral - I tried the key again and it started right up. No problems whatsoever. This is what I learned: THERE IS SOME KIND OF LINK BETWEEN HAVING THE CAR IN GEAR (NEUTRAL) AND BEING ABLE TO TURN THE ENGINE OVER. I ALSO READ THAT WHEN YOU DRIVE THE CAR - IT MAY RESET THINGS.

After driving the car to the dealer, I stopped and started the engine several times - no problems. Left the car at the dealer anyway for an oil change and some other minor work. I did know that nothing needs replacing - like a starter motor, alternator, etc... The electrical system simply needed to be reset after the battery change.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:34 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Next time use a porsche battery tender in the cigarette lighter and this will not happen to you.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:41 AM
964hans will become famous soon enough
Hi

regards
Hans

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WM 2X00IN Work instructions.pdf (282.2 KB, 41 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.