997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Process Has Started - The Official "EVOlution of a 997TT" Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Luis,

I will make sure you have a chance to drive it stock. Next week good for you? Let me know.

iLLM3,

Thanks. I cant wait either in the next 2 weeks, we should have have the engine out for a closer inspection.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
HI Todd

The car looks great and the shop looks great! Looking forward to seeing the new mega shop.

You tore the whole 997TT apart. I love it. You are brave just like me. Let me know about your pojects so we can compliment eachother performance parts like old time. I am trying to get 1500 on the clock before I lean hard on my car and get on the 4 wheel drive DynaPack.

best regards
Joe Fabiani
President

warm regards

Joe Fabiani

Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Todd @ EVO
Next week good for you?
Next week works.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:58 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Luis,

I will make sure you have a chance to drive it stock. Next week good for you? Let me know.

iLLM3,

Thanks. I cant wait either in the next 2 weeks, we should have have the engine out for a closer inspection.
Todd, have you felt turbo's (hybrid's, GT series or whatever) for the 996tt that are less laggy then the new 997 turbo's?

Old 07-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Todd, have you felt turbo's (hybrid's, GT series or whatever) for the 996tt that are less laggy then the new 997 turbo's?
Absolutely. Our GT700 turbos spool up much quicker and the power curve is much smoother. Not to take anything away from this new VTG technology, but I am a bigger fan of the Garrett turbos.

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 08-06-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
VTG is interesting but still something that works on more mild mannered desil trucks lol! Until the entire "modding car" community (not just Porsches) switch from Garrett turbos to VTG or other types of technology I'm sticking too

Old 07-29-2006, 01:48 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Absolutely. Our GT700 turbos spool up much quicker and the power curve is much smoother. Not to take anything away from this new VGT technology, but I am a bigger fan of the Garrett turbos.
Wow, now that's amazing to hear. Joe was doing a comparo between Carrera GT throttle response, GT700 and i think his GT2 with the stg 4 or whatever Protomotive tuning package. He have the CGT a 10, GT700 an 8 or so and Protomotive a 4 i believe, i mean that is ridiculous, i cant even imagine! That is probably my ideal turbo setup!!

Old 07-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Absolutely. Our GT700 turbos spool up much quicker and the power curve is much smoother. Not to take anything away from this new VGT technology, but I am a bigger fan of the Garrett turbos.
Todd,

Have you ever had a chance to drive a 959? I know Bott and Bantle engineered a two-stage turbo setup on the 959 with two fixed-geometry turbochargers in series and parallel, with a faster-spooling turbo taking the initial exhaust flow and the larger, longer-spooling but higher-flowing turbo taking exhaust flow in parallel with the first turbo as revs increased. That car flew. I have heard Bog Warner is developing a 2-stage turbocharger system, and I wonder if this could be tried on a modern 911TT?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Todd - have you thought about ripping the twin maf intake off the 997 and sticking it on the GT700 car?

Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Wow, now that's amazing to hear. Joe was doing a comparo between Carrera GT throttle response, GT700 and i think his GT2 with the stg 4 or whatever Protomotive tuning package. He have the CGT a 10, GT700 an 8 or so and Protomotive a 4 i believe, i mean that is ridiculous, i cant even imagine! That is probably my ideal turbo setup!!
Just curious how a Protomotive setup could get a subjective rating of 4 out of 10 on the throttle response scale. That must make for a laggy setup. Anyone have any first hand feedback. Thanks, Kevin

Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Just ask Mark or Scott...I hate these kind of subjective comparisons as I think Todd has one of the best programs out there..and I'll bet the lag is non-existent.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Who the hell knows. I loved my last 930 and wanted another one. I have not seen this car it use to belong to "rico930" I had it shipped directly to Stephen at IA to build the motor and put it back together. That was almost a year ago. Stephan is busy as am I and it is just sitting. The motor is 450HP and just needs to be installed. Would make a great car if anyone is interested in it. At this point I am not that attached
\

Don't start bustin my *****!! I got a motor, well I got boxes that we made a motor and half the parts! Give me a hard time and we will float it down the Mississippi!

The motor is built right. If you need details email or call me. I have a few other parts to get for it, but the motor is done and ready for install.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Just ask Mark or Scott...I hate these kind of subjective comparisons as I think Todd has one of the best programs out there..and I'll bet the lag is non-existent.
Hey no i totally agree, and from my standpoint any tuning kit or new turbo setup that will be going in my car will be from Protomotive! Thing is, not every kit from Evo MS or Protomotive will be lag free, i mean some of their setups have the option and are much better then the others. I believe Joe's GT2 had k24 hybrid's, "non" zero clearance, or else it would have probably felt identical!

Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Todd,
Have Giac gotten their hands on the ECU yet ?

Old 08-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
Todd,
Have Giac gotten their hands on the ECU yet ?
Garrett has the ecu - I sent him one as soon as I got my hands on a spare. We have been working on the ECU together. Garrett will be in AZ this week and we will be flashing my car. I have compiled more data and learned more about this car in terms of the ECU in the past month than I ever wanted to. This ecu is crazy. It is looking at so many inputs from various sensors and is making so many corrections on a regular basis. It has taken some time to understand and recognize all that it is controlling and all that it is relying on to run the engine.

I actually had a strangers car on the dyno today It made decent power as compared to the 996TT. Our consistent runs were in the 375 HP range and 390 TQ at all 4 wheels. I tested this car on a Mustang 500SE AWD dyno. The correction factor is about 25%. We were able to test overboost as well which made about the same peak HP and TQ but picked up about 20 HP / TQ in the midrange. I will post photos and details later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Process Has Started - The Official "EVOlution of a 997TT" Thread