997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats F430 and Gallardo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Crash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Your points were valid. Mags are beginning to be crap these days. I think Renntech made a very good point in the fact that all those times were CORRECTED and not acutal time. Makes me wonder all the more. I do not personally think that there is any car in the world that can match the efficiency of the AWD systems that Porsche uses. its obvious that lambos do not do the trick and that Porsche's do. The TT is def the fastest in straight line acceleration, at a track those results have been varied as well too, so it depends on the driver. I think the TT in real world acceleration def takes the cake, and prob a lot more. The G is nice, but seems unefficient, the 430, just seems to prissy. I want a car I can drive and that just wants to be pushed harder and harder to the limits. You get that with the TT, and with the G. That is apparent from everything I have read.
The R&T test (also known as the Quattroroute test - it wasn´t even performed by R&T!!!) is totally invalid. Ferrari had brought in the 430 several days before testing would commence, so that the test drivers could "acclimatize" to the car. The 997TT, used in the tst, reportedly had the clutch burned to hell by the reviewers, and was tested with that clutch, which of course means that it turned out times, slower than those of the 996TT Tiptronic. There were a host of other irregularities as well and the test was only geared to provide publicity for Ferrari, while degrading the Turbo, as the 430 and the 997TT are competitors on the European market (none of that false Ferrari exclusivity here - I can get a new 430 Spyder in 5 months if I order it today). In short, just disregard this test.

xandi911, you´ve ordered the 997TT and have seen the debates over these tests, why do you state such stupid nonsense?

Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 PM
xandi911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crash
The R&T test (also known as the Quattroroute test - it wasn´t even performed by R&T!!!) is totally invalid. Ferrari had brought in the 430 several days before testing would commence, so that the test drivers could "acclimatize" to the car. The 997TT, used in the tst, reportedly had the clutch burned to hell by the reviewers, and was tested with that clutch, which of course means that it turned out times, slower than those of the 996TT Tiptronic. There were a host of other irregularities as well and the test was only geared to provide publicity for Ferrari, while degrading the Turbo, as the 430 and the 997TT are competitors on the European market (none of that false Ferrari exclusivity here - I can get a new 430 Spyder in 5 months if I order it today). In short, just disregard this test.

xandi911, you´ve ordered the 997TT and have seen the debates over these tests, why do you state such stupid nonsense?
maybe because i have a bad english, and i dont have time to read what everybody says... or maybe cause i live in a country that i will never have the possibilitie to find a car like a 997TT and do a comparison. or maybe cause i saw videos of the other forums like m5forum, and the guys telling that over 200km/h the M5 walk away.
if stupid questions bothers u ill not ask nothing anymore

Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
masterlu is on a distinguished road
Nah, keep em coming, we all love stupid questions!

Last edited by masterlu; 08-28-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:13 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by xandi911
maybe because i have a bad english, and i dont have time to read what everybody says... or maybe cause i live in a country that i will never have the possibilitie to find a car like a 997TT and do a comparison. or maybe cause i saw videos of the other forums like m5forum, and the guys telling that over 200km/h the M5 walk away.
if stupid questions bothers u ill not ask nothing anymore
Those m5 guys are just plain wrong. Its a simple fact of numbers. 0-100 mph the 997TT is around 7.8-8.0 sec. the m5. 9.2-9.5(m6 about the same). By 150 mph the 997TT has a 2 sec advantage over a Gallardo! and if a G cant pull on one, an m5 or m6 sure as hell wont. and, over an m5 and m6 for that matter i would imagine it would be in the range of 3-4 secs over both those cars.
just for more evidence. http://tunertrader.vidiac.com/catego...120018f997.htm

Look at that video. the m5 gets abolsutely trampled on. the 997TT will WALK a new m5 or m6, plain and simple.

so did i get this right, you ordered a 997TT?

Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Those m5 guys are just plain wrong. Its a simple fact of numbers. 0-100 mph the 997TT is around 7.8-8.0 sec. the m5. 9.2-9.5(m6 about the same). By 150 mph the 997TT has a 2 sec advantage over a Gallardo! and if a G cant pull on one, an m5 or m6 sure as hell wont. and, over an m5 and m6 for that matter i would imagine it would be in the range of 3-4 secs over both those cars.

Look at that video. the m5 gets abolsutely trampled on. the 997TT will WALK a new m5 or m6, plain and simple.

yess i did, 997TT cobalt. bad LINK.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 PM
rajtt is on a distinguished road

The M6 will actually pose a serious threat to the 997TT beyond 100 mph. While it can't match the TT's launch, its low Cd (0.32) combined with the close ratio 7-speed SMG endows it with staggering acceleration into triple didgits. It does not suffer from the high drivetrain loss that plagues cars like the Gallardo due their power sapping drag AWD. Based on C&D's test (http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ecs-page3.html), its 100-150 mph time is only 10.6 seconds!!! That compares favorably with the Turbo's 11.3 seconds (also courtesy of C&D, 09/06), suggesting that the M6 is indeed gaining beyond 100 mph! Both cars also have similar trap speeds (~121 mph) which is indicative of power-to-weight ratio again suggesting that the BMW is probably making more power at the wheels than the Turbo! While these cars were obviously tested on different days it certainly sheds light on the M6's fearsome top-end capability so don't discount this formidable autobahn stormer!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:53 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rajtt
The M6 will actually pose a serious threat to the 997TT beyond 100 mph. While it can't match the TT's launch, its low Cd (0.32) combined with the close ratio 7-speed SMG endows it with staggering acceleration into triple didgits. It does not suffer from the high drivetrain loss that plagues cars like the Gallardo due their power sapping drag AWD. Based on C&D's test (http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ecs-page3.html), its 100-150 mph time is only 10.6 seconds!!! That compares favorably with the Turbo's 11.3 seconds (also courtesy of C&D, 09/06), suggesting that the M6 is indeed gaining beyond 100 mph! Both cars also have similar trap speeds (~121 mph) which is indicative of power-to-weight ratio again suggesting that the BMW is probably making more power at the wheels than the Turbo! While these cars were obviously tested on different days it certainly sheds light on the M6's fearsome top-end capability so don't discount this formidable autobahn stormer!
I understand what youre saying and they are all good points, and are quite valid. on the other hand, the 997TT has a Cd of .31 which favors it over the m6. also it weights about 300 lbs less, which def give it an adv there. also, the 121 trap speed for an m6 i believe was a fluke test and is not an everyday real world time. they are more often going to trap around 116 mph which is right there with a 996TT. Also, if you take the best test for a 997TT, and an m6, by 100, the 997TT is up on it by 1.2+ secs. thats not something to overlook. also, 0-150 on a 997TT is about 18-19 sec if i remember correctly from the last tests i saw. the 0-150 on an m6 is i think is 21-22 sec which gives the 997TT the advantage there and anywhere in between. 100-150 on the 997TT would be around 10-11 seconds while the m6 would be around 12-13 secs. so yes, it is close but the edge is given to the 997TT which is an autobahn monster. the 997TT also has overboost so cruising at 100 mph and from a roll those 10 sec of extra boost and tq def gives it a big advantage from a roll.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by rajtt
One more thing I have to add is that NONE of the turbos tested so far have been broken in. we all know a broken in car, especially a Porsche runs faster when broken in. if a 997TT has a slight edge not broken in over an m6, i think this will only be that much bigger when it is broken in. dont forget, masterlu, who has a 997TT(broken in), an f430 and an 06 gallardo says that the 997TT is by far faster than the others. and if its faster than the other two, especially the 430, it will pull on the m6. they are top end beasts, and this is just a testament to that.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
PorscheC4 save your breath.

It is only getting more ridiculous with every post.

Did I mention my SuperCharged Range Rover can take the M6 in the mud from 100-150mph

Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh, I almost forgot:

If Road & Track says so, then it must be true!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by masterlu
PorscheC4 save your breath.

It is only getting more ridiculous with every post.

Did I mention my SuperCharged Range Rover can take the M6 in the mud from 100-150mph
your knowledge precedes you masterlu. i totally forgot about that race .

Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Oh, I almost forgot:

Yea, but you forgot C&D and Motortrend.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Oh, I almost forgot:

if u have the three why dont u do a video for us? this is so hard for u?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 AM
KNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ray
Sounds like fun!!

How did the Gallardo run with F430? I'm not sure is the tip really that faster or US magazine makeing up story . F430 smoke the 997TT here....

Wow, just wow.

I have to just laugh my *** off at you. I like how you say "US magazine making up the story" when you just posted the most prime hypocritical example possible.

For those who are outside the loop (and i think most people here are, this has been discussed mostly on other forums) this R&T article was done by a european magazine in europe. Nothing wrong with that, but...

The article is inaccurate skewed information. The reason is that both the Ferrari 430 and The Lambo were on The Pirelli Corsa tires. The Corsa is a race tire for the track. At Laguna Seca for example, I am 6.3 seconds a lap better on that type of tire than on even the Michelin PS2 street tire.

This is an example of THE WORST type of journalism in that it was advertised as a head-to-head, apples to apples comparison test... no mention of the MASSIVE advantage these track tires gave the Italian cars...NOTE, THE TEST WAS DONE BY AN ITALIAN MAGAZINE IN ITALY!!!! That should give you some realistic idea of what was really going on here. Check out the NUMEROUS other LEGITIMATE tests done by other magazines and the ZO6 and the 997 TT KILL the Ferrari at the track.

Not only that, but look at the trap numbers... 113mph for the 997? Ok most I have seen are around 119mph. 118mph trap for the C6 Z06?? Come on! stock C5 Z06's with 405hp were seeing 116-117mph. Average traps speeds for the Z06 are around 125mph with many hitting 127mph and instead of 12.2 I have seen as low as 11.3 on stock tires.

Just as a backup source, check out this post directed at the R&T editors which was quickly ignored and danced around.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/...?topicID=12968

just my little info session. feel free to flame away but R&T has some prime bullsh!t tests sometimes and i like how people pick up on them and dance around yelling neener neener.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:48 AM
Crash is an unknown quantity at this point
The M6 is beaten by a stock 996TT X50 above 240 km/h or 150 mph (tested in Germany, several times). The 997TT beats it by even more, so there are no worries. Also, the rumored top speed the M6 achieves (340 km/h or 211 mph) is a joke, as the speedo is off by 14 mph or so. The real top speed is 317 km/h or 197 mph, but one should note that the M6 is extremely unstable at speeds over 300 km/h (186 mph). Not to worry, the new Turbo is a proper performer and the Powerkit version and the GT2 will be even more so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats F430 and Gallardo