997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Swedish AMS 997TT vs. Z06 Track Comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:19 AM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
A Beer Analogy

Bottle of Budweiser - "I can be opened in 0.6 of a second."

Bottle of Heineken - "Congratulations. Good for you."

Bottle of Budweiser - "My bottle neck is 3/4 of an inch longer than yours."

Bottle of Heineken - "Great. My cap is off to you."

Bottle of Budweiser - "Wanna see who can roll to the end of the table quicker?"

Bottle of Heineken - "You just don't get it do you. You are watered-down, diluted, tasteless, and boring. You and I could not be more different. Please go back to your Truck and Tractor Pull and leave me alone."

Disclaimer: Any similarity you find between Budweiser/'Vettes and Heineken/Porsches is strictly intentional.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2K7997TT

Bottle of Heineken - "You just don't get it do you. You are watered-down, diluted, tasteless, and boring. You and I could not be more different. Please go back to your Truck and Tractor Pull and leave me alone."

Disclaimer: Any similarity you find between Budweiser/'Vettes and Heineken/Porsches is strictly intentional.
OMFGGGGGGGGGG rep!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KNanthrup
Fair enough... I will leave it at that because I suppose in the grand scheme of the real world, it doesn't matter what your competition is "supposed" to be, because if you pull up to a stoplight and an Enzo or a Veyron or a street legal drag car pulls up next to you, that mind set is not going to mean jack squat And the same goes for an open day at the road course. It's all in good fun anyways (unless of course you're on Pinks!, which would be a whole different story).
Very true i guess, but usually how testing goes is with car's in its same league or category, ah well!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:47 PM
dr_sharp is on a distinguished road

L O L ... +1

Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Congaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Lots of complaining going on here. The obvious reason for AMS to compare the Corvette Z06 against the 997 TT is that both are the peak products from GM and Porsche at the moment. And bringing in the non existing GT2 will not hide the fact that the 997TT lost this race big time.

A true car enthusiast can appreciate a good car and a good race no matter what brand the winning car has. You should be amazed that an American sportscar is no longer limited to races in a straight line. Now the Corvette handles the curves and bends as good or better than Porsche's top model even though Porsche for years has been an icon to all manufacturers of sportscars. You should be happy as competition is healthy and normaly gives us even better products.

I own and drive the Corvette Z06. Sure I know it isn't the best or fastest car in the world, but that goes for the Porsche as well. I choose the Z06 as I have always been a sucker for big powerful V8's. If I had other preferences like a nice interior maybe I would have choosen a Porsche. Now the 997 TT is not for me....to expensive and not enough power for the money. Sure it has a superiour interior compared to the Z06. Although the interiour for the Z06 could easily be upgraded and still the total cost of a Z06 wouldn't even come close to the price of a naked 997 TT. You have to admite that this is kind of amazing.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future

A better analogy would be Becks and Bud...

Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
GHOSTRIDER-TT will become famous soon enoughGHOSTRIDER-TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by turbodickie
Sir: I would rather have a sister in a ***** house than be seen in a Z06 Corvette no matter how fast it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much.
That **** is funny.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Congaman
Lots of complaining going on here. The obvious reason for AMS to compare the Corvette Z06 against the 997 TT is that both are the peak products from GM and Porsche at the moment. And bringing in the non existing GT2 will not hide the fact that the 997TT lost this race big time.

A true car enthusiast can appreciate a good car and a good race no matter what brand the winning car has. You should be amazed that an American sportscar is no longer limited to races in a straight line. Now the Corvette handles the curves and bends as good or better than Porsche's top model even though Porsche for years has been an icon to all manufacturers of sportscars. You should be happy as competition is healthy and normaly gives us even better products.

I own and drive the Corvette Z06. Sure I know it isn't the best or fastest car in the world, but that goes for the Porsche as well. I choose the Z06 as I have always been a sucker for big powerful V8's. If I had other preferences like a nice interior maybe I would have choosen a Porsche. Now the 997 TT is not for me....to expensive and not enough power for the money. Sure it has a superiour interior compared to the Z06. Although the interiour for the Z06 could easily be upgraded and still the total cost of a Z06 wouldn't even come close to the price of a naked 997 TT. You have to admite that this is kind of amazing.
Nope still not amazed by the Vette.

Bajo

Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
vtandon is infamous around these partsvtandon is infamous around these partsvtandon is infamous around these parts
These reviews don't mean anything to me. I am not convinced the ZO6 is quicker. Porsche are very different to drive than any other car out there. I am sure the test drivers who tested both cars didn't know how to drive a Porsche. The best test would be to get a factory test driver from both manufacturers and race them.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
oneflystud will become famous soon enough
cant read swedish ((((( but any who the porsche is a steal but doesnt make it a gem. at the end of the day your still in the porsche

Old 10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Congaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by vtandon
These reviews don't mean anything to me. I am not convinced the ZO6 is quicker. Porsche are very different to drive than any other car out there. I am sure the test drivers who tested both cars didn't know how to drive a Porsche. The best test would be to get a factory test driver from both manufacturers and race them.
There was only one testdriver for both cars, Rickard Eklund is a professional driver and has competed with Porshe but not with Corvette. So I'm sure he knows how to drive a Porsche. Also Porsche is the most common sportscar here in Sweden. During spring and summer you see them in every street corner. Same as with Volvos and SAAB's and now it is proven that Porsche's top model has about the same power and behaviour on a race track as a Volvo.....how much did you say they charged you for the 997TT?
<!-- SKYPE_UNIQUE_CODE STARTS --><STYLE>.skype_tb_injection { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:top; text-indent:0; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent none no-repeat scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; white-space: nowrap; }.skype_tb_injectionIn { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:middle; text-indent:0; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent url(C:\Program\Skype\toolbars\Skype for Internet Explorer\inactive_m.compat.gif) repeat-x scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; position: relative; top: -1px;}.skype_tb_injectionInAct { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:middle; text-indent:0; border-width:normal; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent url(C:\Program\Skype\toolbars\Skype for Internet Explorer\active_m.compat.gif) repeat-x scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; position: relative; top: -1px;}.skype_tb_table { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: top; background-position: 0 0; text-indent:0; border-width:thin; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_tr { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; background:background-image; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: top; border: 0; line-height: normal; vertical-align: middle; border-width:thin; text-indent:0; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_td { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; background:background-image; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: middle; border: 0; background-position: 0 0; text-indent:0; border-width:thin; color:black; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_link,.skype_tb_link:link,.skype_ tb_link:visited { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #003366; text-decoration: underline; background:background-image;}.skype_tb_link:hover,.skype_tb_link:active { color: #FF0000; background:background-image; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px;}.skype_tb_img { border:0; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height:normal; position:relative; top:2px; }.skype_tb_hidimg { visibility:hidden;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0 px; }</STYLE><IFRAME id=skype_tb_hideframe style="DISPLAY: none; Z-INDEX: 100; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 186px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 19px" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME><SCRIPT defer>var skype_curid=0,skype_active=false,skype_showseed=0, skype_ctm=0;function HideSkype() { if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else setTimeout("HideSkype()",2000);}function HideSkype2() { skype_showseed=0; if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else { skype_active=false; setTimeout("HideSkype()",6000); }}function HideSkypeFull() { skype_active=false; document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility="hidden"; document.all.skype_tb_hideframe.style.display = "none";}function CheckSkype() { skype_active=true;}function ShowSkype(obj,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat) { skype_active=true; if(document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility!="hidd en" && skype_curid==id) return; skype_showseed=Math.random(); clearTimeout(skype_ctm); var brd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var pcx=brd.left-2, pcy=brd.top-22; skype_ctm= setTimeout('DoShowSkype('+skype_showseed+','+id+', '+sadd+','+skypeout+',"'+name+'","'+title+'",'+sta t+','+event.clientY+','+event.clientX+','+pcx+','+ pcy+')',200);}function DoShowSkype(seed,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat, cY,cX,pcx,pcy) { if(seed!=skype_showseed) return; skype_showseed=0; skype_curid=id; var menu=document.all.skype_menu; menu.style.visibility="visible"; var fname=prepareText("Ring %s","Call",name); var oname=document.all.name_text; setSkypeTextWithCut(oname,fname,170); bNew=(navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.")>=0 && document.compatMode!="BackCompat"); var docelem = (bNew) ? document.documentElement : document.body; scrollY=docelem.scrollTop; scrollX=docelem.scrollLeft; var my=pcy+scrollY, mx=pcx+scrollX, mby=docelem.clientHeight+scrollY, mbx=docelem.clientWidth-192+scrollX; if(my>mby) my=mby; if(my<scrollY) my=scrollY; if(mx>mbx) mx=mbx; if(mx<scrollX) mx=scrollX; menu.style.left=mx; menu.style.top=my; var bkfr=document.all.skype_tb_hideframe; bkfr.style.left=mx+3; bkfr.style.top=my+1; bkfr.style.display="block";}function setSkypeTextWithCut(obj,text,maxwid) {// var m_name=new String(text);// if(m_name.length>16)// m_name=m_name.substring(0,13)+'...';// obj.innerText=m_name;// return; var ct=text,ctf=text; while(true) { obj.innerText=ctf; var obrd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var ocx=obrd.right-obrd.left; if(ocx<maxwid) break; ct=ct.substring(0,ct.length-2); ctf=ct+'...'; } obj.innerText=ctf;}function doRunCMD(link,id) { window.location.href="http://skype_tb:"+link+"/"+id;}function runCMD(link) { HideSkypeFull(); doRunCMD(link,skype_curid);}function prepareText(act1,act2,param) { if(param.length>0) { var s=new String(act1); s=s.replace("%s",param); return s; } return act2;}function skype_tb_imgAlt(imgName,act1,act2,title) { if(document.images) document[imgName].alt=prepareText(act1,act2,title);}function skype_tb_imgDoOnOff(imgName,id,onoff) { document[imgName+id].src=document[imgName+onoff].src;}function skype_tb_imgOnOff(onoff,id) { if(document.images) { skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_l',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_r',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_i',id,onoff); document.all['skype_tb_text'+id].className=(onoff=='_on')?'skype_tb_injectionInAct ':'skype_tb_injectionIn'; }}</SCRIPT><!-- SKYPE_UNIQUE_CODE ENDS -->

Old 10-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
There was only one testdriver for both cars, Rickard Eklund is a professional driver and has competed with Porshe but not with Corvette. So I'm sure he knows how to drive a Porsche. Also Porsche is the most common sportscar here in Sweden. During spring and summer you see them in every street corner. Same as with Volvos and SAAB's and now it is proven that Porsche's top model has about the same power and behaviour on a race track as a Volvo.....how much did you say they charged you for the 997TT?
<!-- SKYPE_UNIQUE_CODE STARTS --><STYLE>.skype_tb_injection { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:top; text-indent:0; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent none no-repeat scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; white-space: nowrap; }.skype_tb_injectionIn { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:middle; text-indent:0; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent url(C:\Program\Skype\toolbars\Skype for Internet Explorer\inactive_m.compat.gif) repeat-x scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; position: relative; top: -1px;}.skype_tb_injectionInAct { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:middle; text-indent:0; border-width:normal; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent url(C:\Program\Skype\toolbars\Skype for Internet Explorer\active_m.compat.gif) repeat-x scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; position: relative; top: -1px;}.skype_tb_table { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: top; background-position: 0 0; text-indent:0; border-width:thin; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_tr { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; background:background-image; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: top; border: 0; line-height: normal; vertical-align: middle; border-width:thin; text-indent:0; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_td { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; background:background-image; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: middle; border: 0; background-position: 0 0; text-indent:0; border-width:thin; color:black; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_link,.skype_tb_link:link,.skype_ tb_link:visited { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #003366; text-decoration: underline; background:background-image;}.skype_tb_link:hover,.skype_tb_link:active { color: #FF0000; background:background-image; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px;}.skype_tb_img { border:0; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height:normal; position:relative; top:2px; }.skype_tb_hidimg { visibility:hidden;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0 px; }</STYLE><IFRAME id=skype_tb_hideframe style="DISPLAY: none; Z-INDEX: 100; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 186px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 19px" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME><SCRIPT defer>var skype_curid=0,skype_active=false,skype_showseed=0, skype_ctm=0;function HideSkype() { if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else setTimeout("HideSkype()",2000);}function HideSkype2() { skype_showseed=0; if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else { skype_active=false; setTimeout("HideSkype()",6000); }}function HideSkypeFull() { skype_active=false; document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility="hidden"; document.all.skype_tb_hideframe.style.display = "none";}function CheckSkype() { skype_active=true;}function ShowSkype(obj,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat) { skype_active=true; if(document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility!="hidd en" && skype_curid==id) return; skype_showseed=Math.random(); clearTimeout(skype_ctm); var brd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var pcx=brd.left-2, pcy=brd.top-22; skype_ctm= setTimeout('DoShowSkype('+skype_showseed+','+id+', '+sadd+','+skypeout+',"'+name+'","'+title+'",'+sta t+','+event.clientY+','+event.clientX+','+pcx+','+ pcy+')',200);}function DoShowSkype(seed,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat, cY,cX,pcx,pcy) { if(seed!=skype_showseed) return; skype_showseed=0; skype_curid=id; var menu=document.all.skype_menu; menu.style.visibility="visible"; var fname=prepareText("Ring %s","Call",name); var oname=document.all.name_text; setSkypeTextWithCut(oname,fname,170); bNew=(navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.")>=0 && document.compatMode!="BackCompat"); var docelem = (bNew) ? document.documentElement : document.body; scrollY=docelem.scrollTop; scrollX=docelem.scrollLeft; var my=pcy+scrollY, mx=pcx+scrollX, mby=docelem.clientHeight+scrollY, mbx=docelem.clientWidth-192+scrollX; if(my>mby) my=mby; if(my<scrollY) my=scrollY; if(mx>mbx) mx=mbx; if(mx<scrollX) mx=scrollX; menu.style.left=mx; menu.style.top=my; var bkfr=document.all.skype_tb_hideframe; bkfr.style.left=mx+3; bkfr.style.top=my+1; bkfr.style.display="block";}function setSkypeTextWithCut(obj,text,maxwid) {// var m_name=new String(text);// if(m_name.length>16)// m_name=m_name.substring(0,13)+'...';// obj.innerText=m_name;// return; var ct=text,ctf=text; while(true) { obj.innerText=ctf; var obrd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var ocx=obrd.right-obrd.left; if(ocx<maxwid) break; ct=ct.substring(0,ct.length-2); ctf=ct+'...'; } obj.innerText=ctf;}function doRunCMD(link,id) { window.location.href="http://skype_tb:"+link+"/"+id;}function runCMD(link) { HideSkypeFull(); doRunCMD(link,skype_curid);}function prepareText(act1,act2,param) { if(param.length>0) { var s=new String(act1); s=s.replace("%s",param); return s; } return act2;}function skype_tb_imgAlt(imgName,act1,act2,title) { if(document.images) document[imgName].alt=prepareText(act1,act2,title);}function skype_tb_imgDoOnOff(imgName,id,onoff) { document[imgName+id].src=document[imgName+onoff].src;}function skype_tb_imgOnOff(onoff,id) { if(document.images) { skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_l',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_r',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_i',id,onoff); document.all['skype_tb_text'+id].className=(onoff=='_on')?'skype_tb_injectionInAct ':'skype_tb_injectionIn'; }}</SCRIPT><!-- SKYPE_UNIQUE_CODE ENDS -->
In case you haven't figured it out just yet, price doesn't matter to someone buying a TT. To the Budweiser swilling, tractor pull attending Vette drivers I'm sure it does.

There may be a ton of TT's in Sweden but we tend to see just as many Vettes in the States.....mostly in the Walmart lots.

If you want a true test of the best Porsche has AT THIS TIME in terms of speed see the 997GT3. It has already bested the Z06 at the biggest track know to mankind (Nurburgring). On a smaller track with shorter straights, I'm sure the difference is even better in the P car's favor.

In any event, enjoy trolling in your Z06.

I know, I know.....it's really fast.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I choose the Z06 as I have always been a sucker for big powerful V8's. If I had other preferences like a nice interior maybe I would have choosen a Porsche. Now the 997 TT is not for me....to expensive and not enough power for the money. Sure it has a superiour interior compared to the Z06. Although the interiour for the Z06 could easily be upgraded and still the total cost of a Z06 wouldn't even come close to the price of a naked 997 TT. You have to admite that this is kind of amazing.
You're missing the boat if you think it's only about "the interior" when it comes to the 996/997Turbo. And while it's obviously OK for you to use some kind of "power-to-money" formula to decide what sports car to buy, that's not something that all other people use.

There are plenty of people who care about the way a sports car feels when it's delivering the goods. In my case, I really care about the way each driving control feels in isolation, AND the way they all feel as a group...it's called balance. I really care about the confidence the car provides through it's entire operating envelope. In the case of the C6Z versus my 996 Turbo...well the Vette isn't even close. Some of the money I paid over the C6Z goes to attaining the qualities I've mentioned - the price is well worth it to me.

Of course there are other aspects too...looks, sightlines from the driver's seat, size, turning radius, all-weather performance, two extra seats, dealer service, etc.

In terms of performance, I couldn't care less if one car is faster than the other in some performance aspect. Out of the all the time I've driven my Turbo over the past 4 3/4 years, I MIGHT have a total of a minute or two where I was running against some other car in some kind of non-scientific performance encounter. Why on earth would I be concerned about these outcomes when they represent such a fraction of the time I spend in the car?

Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
rajtt is on a distinguished road
Good Idea Gone Astray?

I started this thread with the sole intention of generating some meaningful commentary about the relative strengths and weaknesses of both supercars. After all, NO car is perfect but with cars as different as the 911 and the Corvette, it is an enthusiast's dream come true to compare and contrast the diverse approaches of both manufacturers and revel in how that translates to performance on the street and the track. That the Z06 won on this track is neither terribly surprising given its primary intent nor is it in any way an insult to the incredible achievement that is the 997 Turbo. Having owned two C5 Z06s along with my 996TT I've certainly learned to appreciate the amazing capabilities of both cars. This is truly the golden age of automotive performance and as enthusiasts we should delight in the plethora of great choices, each of which offers its own unique interpretation of the sports car theme. Lets defend our choices without being defensive, lets laud the other ride while taking pride in our own!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
In case you haven't figured it out just yet, price doesn't matter to someone buying a TT. To the Budweiser swilling, tractor pull attending Vette drivers I'm sure it does.

There may be a ton of TT's in Sweden but we tend to see just as many Vettes in the States.....mostly in the Walmart lots.

If you want a true test of the best Porsche has AT THIS TIME in terms of speed see the 997GT3. It has already bested the Z06 at the biggest track know to mankind (Nurburgring). On a smaller track with shorter straights, I'm sure the difference is even better in the P car's favor.

In any event, enjoy trolling in your Z06.

I know, I know.....it's really fast.

- Budweiser swilling, tractor pull attending Vette drivers

What year are you livin' in? Different Corvette buyer these days.

- we tend to see just as many Vettes in the States....mostly in the Walmart lots

Please, I see just as many Porsches running around. I've seen "sports cars" in the Walmart lot, too... they sure aren't new Corvettes.

- It (GT3) has already bested the Z06 at the biggest track known to mankind (Nurburgring).

Yeah... the GT3 was developed there, driven by a driver with 10 million laps there, wearing Pilot Sport Cups, etc. I'm sure Porsche pulled a GT3 off the line and ran a timed run with it - no set up at all - yeah right. The Corvette team was there like two weeks playing with suspension set ups.

What do the C5/6R's do on the track? Win - against foreign and domestic competition. The Z06 is the real deal, as is Porsche.

Last edited by Rob; 10-11-2006 at 08:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Swedish AMS 997TT vs. Z06 Track Comparo