997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

so whatst the best sounding exhaust out there ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:25 AM
franki68 is on a distinguished road
so whatst the best sounding exhaust out there ?

I would like to know all your opinions

Old 02-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Define "best" and we will tell you.

Loud? Quiet? Cheap? Expensive?

Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
sound is like wheels/color: SUBJECTIVE and PERSONAL

Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
It's all a matter of personal preference as msindi pointed out but however I love mine!!!

cargraphic exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFYuVyeemM

Wails like a banshee when going at it!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
K04
K04 is on a distinguished road
Fab speed is rather loud, I think to loud. If I were to put a loud exhaust on it would be straight pipes for the track. AWE has done a nice job of getting the tone and power appropriate for the car. This is not a Civic its a $122k+ car, true it is fast but it is a refined fast so in my opinion AWE is the way to go it lets you know there is a exhaust with out slapping everyone in the face and saying look at me, and 23+ crank HP is nice. And mate that up with some software and it screams. Just my 2 pennies.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...L=997ttmuffler

Regardless what ever you would like to purchase Jay in our Performance parts dept. can help you we distribute, AWE, Tubi, and Fab speed. His user name is Jay@brandywine.

Last edited by Brandywine; 02-09-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:20 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
http://www.europeanspeed.com/exhausts.htm

Agreed, its all preference. Listen to them all!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brandywine
Fab speed is rather loud, I think to loud.
UH, read the post on the board. The new FS is NOT loud in any reguard. In the last month we have sold 25 systems and not a single one has been returned because it is "rather loud". Yes, the old stuff was terriable, but reading the threads on here and Rennlist it becomes clear that the new version is what people like and want.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
K04
K04 is on a distinguished road
As it has been said its all preference, I just think its to loud.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brandywine
As it has been said its all preference, I just think its to loud.
Well sort of. When dealing with a freq range of 40-110Hz it is not. If the db level is higher in these areas than say 120- on up then it is a level that harmonics create a vibration on the ear drum and causes the person to go nuts. Some are more sensitive to this than others. Bottom line is the db increase with the SA is ony a couple of points higher in the cabin. So some is subjetive but in reality the noise is there.
<O
Bottom line is the FS gen 3 does NOT have a significant increase in these area and does not drone. So one can look at paper and determine if a system has more “drone” or is too loud over another. You need proper equipment like a SA that is of decent quality.
<O
There are post all over this board like this
I just got my Fabspeed from Stephen at Imagine Auto. It is the new style with twin mufflers. First, the sound is terrific and not "droney". For the last week, I haven't turned on the CD or radio....I just listen to the exhaust :-)

If there was a better system out there I would be running it on my own car. As most will tell you they don't drive their TT daily....I do and I am too crabby to deal with any more droning or loud exhaust.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Personally, I associated the Fabspeed exhaust with Joe's annoying narration on the videos and I didn't want any of that resonating in my car

Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Erik
Define "best" and we will tell you.

Loud? Quiet? Cheap? Expensive?
How about just a little louder than stock inside with windows closed, but a bit more agressive from the outside or with windows open, and no resonance or droning?

Also which one produces the most power and torque improvement?

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by eclou
Personally, I associated the Fabspeed exhaust with Joe's annoying narration on the videos and I didn't want any of that resonating in my car
LOL, well I can't help with that. I guess that is why you guys have me

As far as the request of being a little louder on the outside and not inside...Here is another post on another fourm. This is a bloke we sold to in Aussie land.
After installing the system today I really feel as though I NOW own a PORSCHE TURBO!!! The sound is just AWESOME!! From when you start the ignition to when you take off, everything just sounds so right!! Especially when you get to about 4000 RPM there is this crackle or bark that reminds me of the change in note when you get on the gas with a Ferrari 360. The note is beautifully tuned to accommodate the Turbos and most importantly eliminates drone. Sitting on the freeway at 110 KM in 5th or 6th Gear it sounds exactly the same as the standard exhaust...

Last edited by PorschePhd; 02-09-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Agree 100%

[quote=Brandywine]Fab speed is rather loud, I think to loud. If I were to put a loud exhaust on it would be straight pipes for the track. AWE has done a nice job of getting the tone and power appropriate for the car. This is not a Civic its a $122k+ car, true it is fast but it is a refined fast so in my opinion AWE is the way to go it lets you know there is a exhaust with out slapping everyone in the face and saying look at me, and 23+ crank HP is nice. And mate that up with some software and it screams. Just my 2 pennies.

From what I hear on all the sound clips, the AWE system brings professionalism to the the sound of a tt Porsche. I sure don't want mine sounding like some bad-boy racer's 6-cylinder. The tt is just too mature of a car for that. If I wanted the old fashion/civic 6-cyl sound, I would have stayed with my M3 with it's crappy rasp noise. However, I still have misgiving of tearing the entire back of my car off for a $6K expense. And too, it is not so much removing a good portion of the car, but finding a tech competent enough to get it all back together again correctly. That is the issue with me. If the AWE muffler system fits with just muffler removal, I'll have one very soon. .................................................. ............

Old 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by johnww
However, I still have misgiving of tearing the entire back of my car off for a $6K expense. And too, it is not so much removing a good portion of the car, but finding a tech competent enough to get it all back together again correctly. That is the issue with me.
You do not have to remove the rear end of the car (bumper and shrouds) I think on any of the systems out there. We have posted pictures in this postion because A) it gives you a better view B) we dyno the cars this way because we have better acess to the intercoolers for cooling.

I am sort of **** about testing parameters when it comes to these cars.

So my point is if you are wanting to do an exhaust don't let these things worry you. None of the systems out there regardless of brand should require this.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Stephen,

I don't think you can slide the stock muffler unit off the turbine studs far enough without hitting the rear shroud for removal. That was the impression I had from my install. Fortunately(!?!) Porsche supplied the car with crappy enough studs that they seize on the nuts and back out of the turbine flange holes - impressive engineering

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so whatst the best sounding exhaust out there ?