997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Does anyone else actually like the stock TT wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 PM
ANUBIS is on a distinguished road
no no no. I don't like them at all.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
golfguy is on a distinguished road
interesting feedback ...

hmm ... interesting feedback. if i read the opinions from the other 997tt board, most of the 997tt owners there dislike the stock wheels. seems to me that we should run a scienific poll:
1. in the 997tt forum, with seperate categories for 997tt owners and non-owners to get a sense of what owners think
2. in the 997 forum, to see what wheels people are ordering and why

Originally Posted by lager99
Damn Easterner's...
lager99, i'm actually a transplanted westerner from bc. i wish i didn't hate hate the stock wheels as i would have rather used the money for upograding the suspension and ecu flash. i usually prefer my cars to look "stealthly" and stock.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by golfguy
hmm ... interesting feedback. if i read the opinions from the other 997tt board, most of the 997tt owners there dislike the stock wheels. seems to me that we should run a scienific poll:
1. in the 997tt forum, with seperate categories for 997tt owners and non-owners to get a sense of what owners think

lager99, i'm actually a transplanted westerner from bc. i wish i didn't hate hate the stock wheels as i would have rather used the money for upograding the suspension and ecu flash. i usually prefer my cars to look "stealthly" and stock.
I been on the boards now for a little over a year and I think the two wheels that polarize us most are the Carrera S (Lobster Forks) and the TT wheels. Usually one of the first mods folks do is to change wheels or change exhaust. For the most part the wheel changes seem to be aesthetically driven although there are some out there who look for the weight savings that some forged wheels offer. On my 997 C4S the first thing I did was change the wheels…two times so far…I’m still looking for the “right look”. My opinion – I never liked the TT wheels – as much as they are a distinguishing mark of the TT, I think they look too much like what you find on the Corvette. Also, as much as forged wheels provide more strength and lighter weight, I’ve yet to see anyone from the GT3 camp say they were going to change to the lighter, stronger TT wheels – admittedly far fewer GT3’s than TT’s but so far no one has made that switch while it does seem some TT owners are switching. At the end of the day, it’s just personal preference and I respect that.<O</O

Last edited by jhbrennan; 04-05-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:17 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The TT forged wheels add up to a little less than 103 lbs while the GT3 cast wheels are about 110 lbs so not that much weight savings. The front wheels are about 13 oz heavier each - most of the weight increase comes from the rears - 12 inch vs. 11 inch.
Actually that's not true. The GT3 rears are actually lighter than the Turbo rears. I compared them both before they were mounted.

As for me...I like the GT3 RS wheels but then again I'm biased. I have them on my car. I do like the stock wheels but to me, they don't complement the lines of the Turbo very well. Doesn't convey that "sporty" feeling that I think fits the Turbo. That's why I had mine swapped out to those with a much more sporty look which were the GT3's. Of course everybody's mileage might vary. I plan to keep my Turbo wheels and mount Pilot Cup tires on them for those tracking days.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
[quote=atomic80]Actually that's not true. The GT3 rears are actually lighter than the Turbo rears. I compared them both before they were mounted.

I too like the GT3 wheels better than the TT wheels...but a 12 inch wheel should be heavier than an 11 inch wheel. I found reference to these weights - the rear GT3 wheel weighs in at 30 lbs. 13 oz. and the TT wheel is 27 lbs. 14 oz.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Hard to believe Porsche would put "weak" wheels on their track car.
Dude it is what it is, forged are stronger than cast. There's no mystery to it. I don't know why they went with the cast wheels on the GT3/RS. But on their actual track cars (Cup,RSR) they use forged BBS. The GT3 and RS are still street cars.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
I love them except that the local Porsche dealership throws them on any vehicle on the lot they can find.
My dealer has the turbo wheels on no less than 3 out of the 4 new 997's on the floor. Although the stockers look better in person (my wife loves them) I prefer something lighter and stronger. Porsche doesn't necessarily spec the car with the best accoutrements - look at the crummy rusting lugbolts and 0.5 oz floormats. Until this summer, I'm ecstatic to have the only 997TT with the PES wheels

Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I just pulled out my Turbo wheels and weighed them. The front is 24.5 lbs and the rears are 29 lbs. I'll weigh my friend's GT3 RS wheels tomorrow. Last time I weighed them, if memory serves, the GT3 fronts were 25 lbs and the rears were 28.5 lbs. I'm not sure where you got your figures. I'll double check these figures.

Last edited by atomic80; 04-04-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 AM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
As others said, wheels are a personal choice. Unless you're a serious tracker I don't see that the weight of different wheels should matter. I like the 997 TT wheels but hate the 996 TT stock wheels. I put Techarts on my 996 TT and love the aggressive look; weight is not an issue for me.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 AM
SG
SG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura about
lager99

i think the design is way too busy and detracts from the (relatively) clean lines of the 997 ... okay, i know the 997tt is a bit boy-racerish with all the vents and spoilers.

it's a matter of personal taste but the more i see them on the car, the more i dislike them. i would have like to save the money and not spend the $7k canadian / $5k usd for champion wheels.
clean lines???? ha!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:55 AM
SG
SG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura about
they are really nice in person and fit the car.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by atomic80
I just pulled out my Turbo wheels and weighed them. The front is 24.5 lbs and the rears are 29 lbs. I'll weigh my friend's GT3 RS wheels tomorrow. Last time I weighed them, if memory serves, the GT3 fronts were 25 lbs and the rears were 28.5 lbs. I'm not sure where you got your figures. I'll double check these figures.
Intuitively, a 12 inch cast should weigh more than an 11 inch forged but who can argue with scales. Here's the source of my info - not exactly definitive but it's all I've seen on weights. See post #30 at
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=323073

Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The stock are lightweight and forged, what's not to like?
Why put an inferior wheel on your car?
The RS wheels are nice (but cast and not as strong as the stock rims), and heavier too.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
lager99 is on a distinguished road

Damn British Columbians...

Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, here is the official weights as shown by a FedEx certified scale. These wheels are without TPMS sensors, center caps and wheel weights.

Turbo front (8.5" x 19"): 24 lbs 3.44 ounces
Turbo rear (11" x 19"): 28 lbs 11.44 ounces

GT3 RS front (8.5" x 19"): 24 lbs 3.2 ounces
GT3 RS rear (12" x 19"): 30 lbs 13.76 ounces

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else actually like the stock TT wheels?