997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Taking a survey regarding the stock suspension on the 997 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Taking a survey regarding the stock suspension on the 997 TT

I am interested in getting opinions from others who feel that the 997 Turbo suspension/AWD setup in stock form feels a bit nervous when you push it around turns OR gets a bit too "floaty" or "squirmy" around the twisties or after applying the brakes? Using the stiff suspension setting helps but does not eliminate this issue. Briefly describe the problem and if you could address the following questions I would be gratefull:

(1) did you have alignment issues at delivery?
(2) you have Limited Slip Differential on your car?
(3) what brand tire did your car come with?
(4) is you car equiped with Steel or Ceramic brakes?
(5) do you use the stiffer suspension setting to try and reduce this?
(6) have you done anything to your car to improve it?
(7) do you track your car?

Thanks, I am trying to see if this problem is universal to the 997 Turbo in general or is just an issue with my particular car?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:51 PM
For those interested in my alignment specs here goes:

Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
twnj is on a distinguished road
I've been following the few other threads where this has been discussed because as much as I love the car it definitely feels very "loose" or "floaty" in moderate to hard cornering. Keep in mind that this is my first Pcar so I'm comparing this feeling to my past 2 BMWs, an M3 and M5 which felt much more confidence inspiring in this respect.

It's so noticiable that I thought it might actually be the awd system transferring power from back to front or something like that. It was actually a bit scary the first time I experienced it. I've never noticed that it was related to braking but does seem to be more noticeable at higher speeds (I suppose that's not a surprise). To answer your poll:

1. no alignment issues that I'm aware of
2. yes, have the lsd
3. PS2
4. Steel brakes
5. haven't done A-B systematic comparisons on the same corner but seems a little more planted in sport mode
6. no mods
7. no tracking

Old 07-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks twnj, you pretty much described what I am talking about. What I don't understand is this trait is so obvious that more people should be posting about it? You don't have to goose the thing to feel it and your right its downright scary when it happens. I suspect that this problem might be isolated to folks with certain options like LSD, Bridgestones, etc? Also do the Ceramics make a significant difference too improve the ride with less mass? Lots of questions to find answers to. For the record here are my options or answers for comparison:

1. delivered out of alignment
2. Have LSD (limited slip differential)
3. Bridgestones
4. Steel brakes
5. Car is better in the stiffer mode
6. no mods
7. no track

Last edited by gradyex; 07-16-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gradyex
1-no
2-yes
3-bridgestone, switched to PS2 street, Hoosier R6 track
4-steel
5-yes
6-yes lowered, alignment more aggressive
7-yes

Old 07-17-2007, 05:46 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
1 - no
2 - yes
3 - PS2
4 - steel
5 - yes
6 -not yet
7 - no

Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future

1-no
2-yes
3-Bridgestones
4-Steel
5-yes
6-no
7-not yet, but soon...

Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Wow 24 hours and only one person reporting the same issue. I guess I should have my car looked at closer because I expected more responses. I can tell you I do agree with RC's (Christian's) feedback on the turbo (he posts on another forum). I still feel that all Turbos have this trait stock but most of us don't push our cars enough to really notice it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I guess thats what Porsche made the GT3 for. Alex, in the near future I will be contacting you and hopefully get you to take this car out for a spin and get your feedback. Its hard for me to beleive others are not "coming out" about this. Remember nothing will impove if we don't bring it to Porsches attention. Those of you who feel similiar issues please post and explain exactly what it is that you would like to improve (if any). I am more interested in that, than the survery but both would be appreciated. Eclou, looks like you already addressed it with a few mods. Sounds like the best solution and the way to go. I still consider the Turbo one awesome sports car even if it has a few quirks. This car is a keeper for many years to come.

Last edited by gradyex; 07-17-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
1-no
2-yes
3-bridgestone, switched to PS2 street, Hoosier R6 track
4-steel
5-yes
6-yes lowered, alignment more aggressive
7-yes

Eclou, did you notice any improvement swapping the Bridgestones out for the PS2'S and to what extent? Minor improvement or major? I am considering doing it sooner than later just to compare the two brands. Any Bridgestone lovers out there in the Bay Area? Only 2700 miles on them. LOL!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Alex, in the near future I will be contacting you and hopefully get you to take this car out for a spin and get your feedback. Its hard for me to beleive others are not "coming out" about this.
hey gradyex, I'd be happy to do so and then I'll have someone here with a car maybe that's got the Tech Art suspension and sway bars on it give you a ride. I know and agree with all the things you've said about the stock suspension. I do not have as much confidence as I would like going int to turns that for sure. The front end goes in and then the rear hits a small bump and starts to waddle around behind me. Not good.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Eclou, did you notice any improvement swapping the Bridgestones out for the PS2'S and to what extent? Minor improvement or major? I am considering doing it sooner than later just to compare the two brands. Any Bridgestone lovers out there in the Bay Area? Only 2700 miles on them. LOL!
Minor improvement - less road noise! The Bridgestones have a bigger contact patch - are physically wider. I don't push the car unless I'm on the track with Hoosiers on. The problems are gone then

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
bobk is on a distinguished road
I've got the LSD, PCCB. Had the alignment set with slight total toe in at delivery. Tracked often ( 5 times), bridgestones. The car can get unsettled in heavy cornering, but you have to remember the tremendous power available and it's influence on the chassis. A light trail brake to the apex will usually keep the car more settled in the corner. I'm proabably going to go with a coil over system if the x73 type setup is not available soon. The car is a compromise, even at this relatively high performance level. I'm sure that the reviews on the coil over kits are accurate and provide a transformation in the handling.
I do not however think that the car will ever handle like a GT3 ( have both), it is a 4 wheel drive, luxury sports coupe, that can blow your socks off, not a track specific car.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 AM
fcracer will become famous soon enoughfcracer will become famous soon enough
I think another question that should be asked is if this is your first 911 Turbo. When I went from a 944 Turbo S into my friend's 993 Turbo, I was shocked at how unstable it felt, especially around corners. I raced my 944 Turbo S, but had much less confidence in the 993TT.

I later went on to purchase that 993 Turbo from my friend and spent three years getting to understand its nuances. Ultimatley, the 993TT was much faster around the track than the 944 Turbo S, but it certainly took time to trust and understand the car.

Just because it's a Porsche doesn't mean it's going to be super easy to drive. Any 911 driver that wants an amazingly user-friendly car that feels very precise should try out a Boxster or Cayman; it makes the 911 series feel relatively antique.

Give your 997TT's some time to get to know and understand its behaviours. The 993TT used to do this scary sideways motion when going over bumps while the car was under heavy cornering. Initially, it scared the sh*t out of me when it happened, but once I knew it was just the bushings squishing under load and that nothing bad would happen, it was no longer an issue.

Spend that time with your 997 to learn its traits and behaviours and see if the problems you feel go away. Another thing to keep in mind is that these are HEAVY cars now and you will feel that weight. Aftermarket suspensions always help, as long as you can handle the stiffer ride.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 AM
Well lets try and answer your questions...This is my 5th porsche, my 4th 911, my 2nd AWD Twin Turbo, my 1st Porsche TT. So what your saying is this trait is inherent in all Porsche TT's and I just have to drive it more and learn how to compensate for it? i understand what you are saying but I am not sure the 996TT (at least what I am told ) share the same AWD set up? I also understand that Porsche may have purposely set the 997 TT to be more rear wheel oriented and more fun to drive(especially at the track)? It is fun to drive, and I wouldn't want to change it but hopefully Porsche comes up with "fix" that can help this car feel more planted. For me the rest of this automobile is perfect as is. I think more experience with a Porsche turbo will help me become more familiar with the extra torque and get used to its traits but the issue I speak off will not go away until Porsche addresses it in some positive way. Those of you with cars on order don't let this be a deterrant because honestly you may not even know it unless you push the car hard around the twisties. This car by the way for 3500 lbs feels light and nimble for its weight. I did not expect that after driving a 997S for 2 years.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:04 AM
gradyex,

I have been talking to some of the tuners re: the issues and all mention the rear toe adjustments. I think you will be happy with the results now that you have dialed it that way. Also, check out the latest GTPorsche AUG 07 article re: GT3/RS/TT track comparo. It mirrors our findings, but the car is awfully fast regardless when driven in a matching style

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taking a survey regarding the stock suspension on the 997 TT