HRE Unveils New Carbon Fiber Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler

however, there are now forged monoblock wheels available with similar mass to CF at a far lower cost.

Which wheels are those ???

10k for wheels is crazy

Last edited by GT RUS; 11-05-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Spar7 is on a distinguished road
wouldnt want to accidentally curb them now would you...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Please tell ME where can I get 19s OZ HLT for 1k ???

Definately best wheels for money...
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...tandard+brakes

OZ UltraLeggera

Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Yeah, what happens if you curb them? Seems a little pricey....

Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by alzilla300
Looks pretty good in person. I had no idea the price tag was set so high when I was looking at them today though.

BTW - Dan, where is your GT-R at SEMA? I found your EVO X but couldn't find the GT-R anywhere.
I would agree that somethings do look better in person. But a CF wheel for 21lbs is not that big of news to me. As well as someone mentioning a curbed wheel would be quite the tragedy.

What do people expect to gain from having a lighter 21lbs 20" wheel? Unsprung weight only has so many advantages.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 AM
got_hp? has a spectacular aura aboutgot_hp? has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Please tell ME where can I get 19s OZ HLT for 1k ???

Definately best wheels for money...

he meant $1k EACH wheel....so really theyre about half the price of the carbon wheels.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Oh I see...For 1k each there are many wheels to choose from...The chapest legerras cost around 400 each for 19s and I think they pretty nice wheels and good value for money...especially if you need wheel for track...but definately wont buy them for 1k set...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned
4CEFED is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
Just comparing my stock forged TT wheels to the my Dymag's there is a huge difference , Throw on the TI Lug's and you can feel the difference in take off rolling acceleration & stopping......

The barrel's are very strong

Pictures to back this up coming.....

I will say you cant break the Mag spokes on the Dymag's and if you ruin the barrel you can purchase the part from Dymag with a new one...

Gee-Bee
I was at an event this weekend and this topic came up, but the instructor was telling me how the carbon fiber wheels had failed? Do you have those pics I really want another set of light weight wheels after having some really light BBSs on my last track car. I am just worried b/c I'm hearing conflicting things about CF when it's used in wheels.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up CF strength

Okay here is the Poop!

Last week I was doing a short drive a black Lab dog came out of no where, I swerved to miss the dog since Iam a dog lover and drove up and over a curb, the curb median was at least 10's tall and was square and was traveling about 40 mph.

The front rim and rear went up and over the curb median, I bent the shock and lower control arm , lost all the oil and gas from the shock assy.

My front end was sitting on the rim since I lost air pressure in the strut and both tires.

Both wheels at the barrel cracked between the spokes, but the spokes were fine

The real damage was done by the tow truck driver ( flatbed )who pulled the car up forward onto the bed , instead of pulling from the rear of the car.

Damage was done to the lip and the front bumper was creased from this method.

So I would suggest you change out your torx screws on your lip to Phillips and carry a small screwdriver so you can remove your lip before you have it loaded on a flatbed......

I did find two new lip's on ebay for 160.00 dollars and will have three painted for spares, I will have to wait a month before I have new film on the front bumper assy

parts damaged:
Shock assy
lower control arm
front lip
front bumper
two Dymag barrels

The barrels are held on the spokes by 7 mm allen TI bolts
very easy to remove and reinstall
8600.oo in damage.

Iam fully insured , and it is my first claim in 32 years of driving that is considered my fault.

Iam sure it would of bent any alloy wheel out of repair...

The Dymag is very strong and light, it will be a few weeks for replacement barrell's

My camera is down and I will load pic's later

Gee-Bee

Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Banned
Cool the instructor said he had pics as well, so I emailed him and asked for them, Just want to get the facts straight before I buy myself an early Christmas present.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
huyissuperman is on a distinguished road
Interesting...

Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned
I made a new post with the pics and my current wheel questions to not muddy up HRE's announcement thread.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...questions.html

Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Benzoboi will become famous soon enoughBenzoboi will become famous soon enough
Hmmmm.....I might have to sell my brand new monobloks and wait for these....

LOL JK JK...I'm not completely sold on runnin CF wheels everyday...

Last edited by Benzoboi; 11-05-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Wow I really like the wheels. I'm sure HRE will do all repairs in Southern Cal on any damaged wheels. This looks like a great combination for the companys.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
I would agree that somethings do look better in person. But a CF wheel for 21lbs is not that big of news to me. As well as someone mentioning a curbed wheel would be quite the tragedy.

What do people expect to gain from having a lighter 21lbs 20" wheel? Unsprung weight only has so many advantages.
i ain't no professor myself but internet car forum folks think to think in just one dimension, just maybe one or two conditions...

there is no free lunch. what you give up in weight (lightness) you sacrifice rigidity of the wheel. a car moves. the wheels also aren't always in a perfect circle. if the wheels aren't rigid enough to support the vehicle, then it has trouble putting rubber down onto the pavement for traction.

weight v. rigidity. i have a hard time believing given HRE's absolute lack of motorsport experience, field R&D that they spent the dough to truly get this balance right.

there is a reason why big **** multinational companies like BBS and OZ do not offer 20" 20lbs wheels. cuz ya can't unless you make some major sacrifices in durability and performance.... HRE doesn't know or care. they make pretty wheels, i love them, but would never ever get these.

plus the whole point of the rim part is to make the wheels circular shape pop... having it in CF makes it blend in with the tire which makes it look absolutely whack esp in motion.

my $.50

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE Unveils New Carbon Fiber Wheels