997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bose or Nav?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
bchow83 is on a distinguished road
i have bose, no nav. very happy with it. i have nav in all my other cars, but hardly use it. why not just drive your bmw when you need nav.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:21 PM
GCB
GCB is on a distinguished road
AGREE... skip the sport Chrono.... I test drove the Caymen S and Carrera S both with chrono and for the life of me could not feel the difference.. plus you get that stupid, useless "wart" on the dashboard. Spend your $1,000 elsewhere. However, I do hear that chrono does a better (more feeling) job on the tiptronic porsche cars. It effects the shift times in those...

Old 02-18-2008, 05:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by caveatesq
I'll pass on Sport Chrono. I had a "Sport" button on my old M3 that also changed the throttle mapping and made the car virtually undriveable - besides is it really that hard to just press your foot down a little further?

The BMW "sport" button is entirely different. I had it in my 200o M5 and would agree that on the BMW it posed challenges. Many call the sport chrono worthless or a "wart" but beyong the throttle is a suspension adjujustment . Unlike the BMW the "sport" button is not as touchy . In the Porsche it is very sophisticated .

Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GCB
AGREE... skip the sport Chrono.... I test drove the Caymen S and Carrera S both with chrono and for the life of me could not feel the difference.. plus you get that stupid, useless "wart" on the dashboard. Spend your $1,000 elsewhere. However, I do hear that chrono does a better (more feeling) job on the tiptronic porsche cars. It effects the shift times in those...
LOL I should have read ahead . On my Turbo it not only increases the throttle but adds extra HP boost for 20 seconds . On my previous two "S" cars it not only changes the throttle but the suspension as well. Even on the base car (which I have driven) there are performance gains EVEN for those who ignore the "wart" and just focus on the drive .

And yes if he opts not to get it --he still has a fine car but $1000 on an 80000 car ? It's a wedding -- add the extra plate.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The BMW "sport" button is entirely different. I had it in my 200o M5 and would agree that on the BMW it posed challenges. Many call the sport chrono worthless or a "wart" but beyong the throttle is a suspension adjujustment . Unlike the BMW the "sport" button is not as touchy . In the Porsche it is very sophisticated .
I didn't think that there was any suspension adjustment on a 997 without PASM.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 PM
printemps2001 is on a distinguished road
I have been flipping back and forth with getting my first Porsche. I ordered and cancelled a 997S back in December (pushing the budget just too far) then considered a Cayman S (loved the way it drove but I'm 6'3" and it feels kind of tight and really always wanted a 911). I am now considering a base 997 C2 (before someone mentions it, I don't want to wait for the yet unconfirmed facelift).

My dealer has found two cars for me that are fairly close to what I'd order. One has nav and no Bose and the other has Bose but no nav. I have nav in my current BMW and use it quite a bit so I am drawn to the 997 with nav but I am afraid that the base stereo will be terrible. All of the cars that my dealer has in stock have Bose so I can't hear the two back to back. Anyone have the base stereo and if so, how bad is it? Is it difficult to upgrade if I am not happy with it? Which will hold its value better - nav or Bose?

Thanks
Get the NAV. The base stereo is OK, and the Bose stereo is slightly better than OK. You'll never miss is. As for NAV, sure, a Garmin may have more functionality than Porsche NAV, but who wants that thing on their dash? The integrated look covers up a lot of shortcomings.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
scuzy is on a distinguished road
i vote for nav as well. It's not the best out there but it's better than having a eye sore sticking out on your dash. I mainly use a few functionso n the navi anyways since i don't drive far with the pcar and i know my neighborhood pretty well.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I didn't think that there was any suspension adjustment on a 997 without PASM.
On a non PASM 997 you are correct . The adjustment would only be the throttle which does offer a slight difference. The PASM is also very different than the BMW cars as it takes quite a bit of effort to see it engage and when it does it may be agood thing to have --especially since the car does not have a limited slip differential . In fact the 997S does not have an LSD either unless one buys the European version . ALL BMW M cars have the LSD but it's also a front engine setup. The Gt3 does have it and so does the Gt2 and on the Turbo it's an option which sparks debate amongst Turbo owners (like me) .

This car is such a special car in my opinion . Skipping options like carbon fiber or some other interior upgrades I can see . However when it comes to every aspect of performance and optimum drivability as well as safety I do feel that these options are important. The radio I only recomend because the factory one is that bad and installing aftermarket may save a few bucks and might even be better than the Bose but the process is a headache . In short --for the sake of ease --the Bose is OK .

Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
cdaniels is on a distinguished road
Bose...Real Men don'r use Nav's ,maps or ask for directions....we just keep riding around and sooner or later we get there....

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
I opted for the Bose on my order and opted-out of the Nav (and sport chrono). I have a portable GPS I use for flying (that includes an automotive database) that I use if I really need it (heck, it even displays weather radar images. ).

Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
wangt1015 is on a distinguished road
I have both Bose and nav on my car.. bose is great but nav is just bad.. I am sure any of those aftermarket nav is better than the stock ones.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
i had both nav and the bose in the cayenne S.
i skipped both in the 997 S.
if i had to chose one i would say get the nav.
it's visual, when u want to sell the car it will bring more money in.
that's just my 2cents.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Many opinion here... I'll add my experience with base stereo vs Bose since I've heard both.

Std stereo is pretty poor. If you like music when you drive, you'll be disappointed. It makes the sound but not a very full experience. The different is like watching a movie with a 2 ch stereo vs a 5.1 surround. OR, a nice portable stereo vs. a real stereo with separate components. Bose isn't stereophile but it's nice and cheap enough to make it a must.

As for nav, i hate portable units on the dash. Very tacky and not attractive. I'd opt for the PCM Nav if you can get both Bose & PCM or need Nav all the time. If you can live with a portable unit that functions better than PCM and can stand the look of seeing cords, skip the OEM PCM.

Hope this helps. You may want to test out the oem pcm on the test drive car also.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
stevenross is on a distinguished road
I have been flipping back and forth with getting my first Porsche. I ordered and cancelled a 997S back in December (pushing the budget just too far) then considered a Cayman S (loved the way it drove but I'm 6'3" and it feels kind of tight and really always wanted a 911). I am now considering a base 997 C2 (before someone mentions it, I don't want to wait for the yet unconfirmed facelift).

My dealer has found two cars for me that are fairly close to what I'd order. One has nav and no Bose and the other has Bose but no nav. I have nav in my current BMW and use it quite a bit so I am drawn to the 997 with nav but I am afraid that the base stereo will be terrible. All of the cars that my dealer has in stock have Bose so I can't hear the two back to back. Anyone have the base stereo and if so, how bad is it? Is it difficult to upgrade if I am not happy with it? Which will hold its value better - nav or Bose?

Thanks
IN my honest opinion, i can tell you to go with both, i got both of them, and the sound on the radio when you are not listening to the engine is amazing. much better than the stock radio, and the navigation was very pricey, but worth the price since its integrated into the car, and it works really well.

let us know what you go with.

good luck
Steven

Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
This car is such a special car in my opinion . Skipping options like carbon fiber or some other interior upgrades I can see . However when it comes to every aspect of performance and optimum drivability as well as safety I do feel that these options are important. The radio I only recomend because the factory one is that bad and installing aftermarket may save a few bucks and might even be better than the Bose but the process is a headache . In short --for the sake of ease --the Bose is OK .[/quote]

I optioned my car for performance issues primarily, I have the Bose but should have skipped it. I'd go with sport seats/short shift/PSE, or sport chrono rather than a known POS nav.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose or Nav?