997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bose or Nav?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Bose or Nav?

I have been flipping back and forth with getting my first Porsche. I ordered and cancelled a 997S back in December (pushing the budget just too far) then considered a Cayman S (loved the way it drove but I'm 6'3" and it feels kind of tight and really always wanted a 911). I am now considering a base 997 C2 (before someone mentions it, I don't want to wait for the yet unconfirmed facelift).

My dealer has found two cars for me that are fairly close to what I'd order. One has nav and no Bose and the other has Bose but no nav. I have nav in my current BMW and use it quite a bit so I am drawn to the 997 with nav but I am afraid that the base stereo will be terrible. All of the cars that my dealer has in stock have Bose so I can't hear the two back to back. Anyone have the base stereo and if so, how bad is it? Is it difficult to upgrade if I am not happy with it? Which will hold its value better - nav or Bose?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Go with the nav.
It tells you where you are and get's you to where you want to go (I just use the map feature)

You don't need the Bose.If you want to listen to music, stay home.
And if you want to listen to music in the car, shut the damned radio off . Lol

Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Go with the Bose, if you really want the Nav you can install via the dealer before you take delivery

Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
The Bose system is pretty nice for a non-aftermarket unit imho (and I am big into aftermarket sound systems). Why not just order a 997 non-S to your exact liking and get both the Bose and nav?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
I did not get Bose but wish I did. You can add the nav module later, but you can't add Bose.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Icedout44 is infamous around these parts
Id probobly get the bose and get a portable nav from Garmin or TomTom.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Havoc'n'Hijinx is infamous around these parts
Go with the bose. Your phone will be your navigation real soon.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Get the Bose and skip the nav. Although an integrated OEM navigation unit is always my preference, Porsche's implementation is adequate at best. You'll get much better bang for the buck out of the Bose as you'll use it daily, and a Garmin or TomTom unit (or something similar) will give you better features and functionality than the OEM nav. I have both Bose and Nav on my 997 and of the two I'd drop the nav (assuming I had a backup, which I do as I have a TomTom 920T).

Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Yeah get the Bose, stock system sucks. You can get a Garmin Nuvi for $400 and its way better anyway.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
I totally 2nd (or 3rd?) that...

the Nav system is really behind the times. Fair at best! no touch screen... tons of button rolling to get to the letters you oneed, etc... get the Bose...forget the Nav... I have a top of the line portable Garmin which has real time traffic reports, touch screen, etc...

way too much money for an average system

Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Skillz is infamous around these parts
I, too, struggled with both options upon my purchase. I ended up getting both. I have a cabrio and I am extremely pleased with quality of the Bose even with the top down. Nothing better than a clear day, open road, and good listening music.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Thanks for the input. Bose it is.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by caveatesq
I have been flipping back and forth with getting my first Porsche. I ordered and cancelled a 997S back in December (pushing the budget just too far) then considered a Cayman S (loved the way it drove but I'm 6'3" and it feels kind of tight and really always wanted a 911). I am now considering a base 997 C2 (before someone mentions it, I don't want to wait for the yet unconfirmed facelift).

My dealer has found two cars for me that are fairly close to what I'd order. One has nav and no Bose and the other has Bose but no nav. I have nav in my current BMW and use it quite a bit so I am drawn to the 997 with nav but I am afraid that the base stereo will be terrible. All of the cars that my dealer has in stock have Bose so I can't hear the two back to back. Anyone have the base stereo and if so, how bad is it? Is it difficult to upgrade if I am not happy with it? Which will hold its value better - nav or Bose?

Thanks
The Bose is a must have option . The standard factory audio system is absolutely deplorable . In fact comparing the Bose with the logic 7 of BMW I think even the Bose is not as good but at least it comparable .

The NAV -- I don't use but I will say this --I also have other cars ( an 07 Mercedes and an 07 Civic Si) and of the three cars the Honda nav technology blows away both the Porsche and the Mercedes in terms of user friendly ease and overall efficiency .

There is yet another must have option --sport chrono.
The sport chrono isn't just a guage. It doesn't change horsepower or torque but it does offer a different throttle response and if you do decide on an "S" it also changes the PSM setting to "medium" as opposed to being either on or off .

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll pass on Sport Chrono. I had a "Sport" button on my old M3 that also changed the throttle mapping and made the car virtually undriveable - besides is it really that hard to just press your foot down a little further?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
BankBuster23 is infamous around these parts
skip the nav for sure....bose all the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose or Nav?