997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mpowered
the update can be installed on more than one car, yes?
I would THINK so, considering that is a CD and no codes are required to do the process. Furthermore, I've read people going DIY on this...

Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Mpowered is on a distinguished road
hmmm i wonder if there is an end use agreement attached to this.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Anyone who's already done the install want to send me the spare install discs? will return after install!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
hmmm i wonder if there is an end use agreement attached to this.
I wondered the same thing. But if you can sell your old CDs, why not a couple of upgrade CDs? After all, there will be no copying envolved...
Mpowered I'll let you know if I can get it, I'm also in Durhole...

Remember one important thing. You need to be sure that the updated PCM will work with your old navi DVD disc, afterall the upgrade comes with 3 CDs and one nav DVD

Last edited by John McLane; 04-15-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
from what people are saying, the old dvd works.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
from what people are saying, the old dvd works.
I heard the same, I would try the new DVD also, in case I get my hands in the whole package.

Would you like to gather some guys that lieve in Durhole or surroundings and order a CD/DVD set from suncoast?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
geoff w is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Edgy01
I was describing the operation of real time traffic updates in Europe. Others have claimed that this capability is now available in the USA with the purchase of the latest s/w release. However, no one has actually reported back to state that it really works.

Dan
Anyone actually see the traffic overlay work in the US yet after applying the update? The old maps aren't that bad that I would spend $300+ on the update, but being able to "see" traffic ahead on the freeway and reroute around the slow down is easily worth the $$ (I'm talking $US) for the update.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by geoff w
Anyone actually see the traffic overlay work in the US yet after applying the update? The old maps aren't that bad that I would spend $300+ on the update, but being able to "see" traffic ahead on the freeway and reroute around the slow down is easily worth the $$ (I'm talking $US) for the update.

Allegedely my PCM came with it (intalled last week), but so far I have not seen any info on traffic. I doubt that they installed this update.

The nav is not that good here, but I thinks is because the satellites are probably avoiding going over Durhole, who can blame them anyway....

Last edited by John McLane; 04-15-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by John McLane
Allegedely my PCM came with it (intalled last week), but so far I have not seen any info on traffic. I doubt that they installed this update.

The nav is not that good here, but I thinks is because the satellites are probably avoiding going over Durhole, who can blame them anyway....
I assume if "Traffic programme" is checked on the audio screen it is active.
It seems to me it was already there on my 06 when I bought it, but, I'm not sure. Nice run to North Jersey and back, No traffic comment.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by larrytrk
I assume if "Traffic programme" is checked on the audio screen it is active.
It seems to me it was already there on my 06 when I bought it, but, I'm not sure. Nice run to North Jersey and back, No traffic comment.
Well, I think that's something different, more related to rds transmission as I've seen in Germany. That do not work here for sure.
With the update, allegedly, the icons would appear on your nav screen with bad traffic areas.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
This looks like more smoke and mirrors!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
blue997 is on a distinguished road
I thought that the RDS/TMC broadcasts are subscription based (ie they are encoded/encrypted to only allow subscribers to receive the broadcasts - like Sirius/XM). For example, if you look at the garmin nav which is setup to receive US RDS/TMC broadcasts, you need to subscribe based on your unit ID. Is there any sign of some service to manage p-car US subscriptions for this? (I just emailed the realtimetraffic.net guys to ask this.) And is there a way to get a unit ID out of the PCM?

(the garmin subscription is described at https://shop.garmin.com/fmtraffic/process.asp )

Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
geoff w is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blue997
I thought that the RDS/TMC broadcasts are subscription based (ie they are encoded/encrypted to only allow subscribers to receive the broadcasts - like Sirius/XM). For example, if you look at the garmin nav which is setup to receive US RDS/TMC broadcasts, you need to subscribe based on your unit ID. Is there any sign of some service to manage p-car US subscriptions for this? (I just emailed the realtimetraffic.net guys to ask this.) And is there a way to get a unit ID out of the PCM?

(the garmin subscription is described at https://shop.garmin.com/fmtraffic/process.asp )
I think some of the car nav systems, like the BMW and Lexus ones, don't require a subscription. Garmin seems to have a different agreement with the TMC broadcast guys

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 PM
blue997 is on a distinguished road
Hunting around a little bit more, I found this description:
http://www.lordpercy.com/tmc_explained.htm

I think the TMC system require that someone pays. For the high end systems it may be paid for directly by BMW/Lexus. Again, sort of like the lifetime Sirius subscription that comes with some cars. I guess base on how porsche prices everything else, I am not hopeful that they are part of this "free subscription included" camp, but even so, it seems that there should be some sort of unit ID that would get things going?

Playing around with my Rev B PCM, it does seem to see the TP broadcasts. If you go to an FM channel that is doing TP broadcasts, enable TP, and wait a little bit, you can add this station to the TP roam list. For stations that don't have TP broadcasts, it doesn't seem to let you add to the TP roam list.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
More info in the subject here, decent faq:
http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc...aq/tmc_faq.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.