997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My First Porsche!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Ricardo Canada is infamous around these parts
My First Porsche!

After waiting about 30 years (I decided I wanted one when I was 14), I finally got my 911, a 2007 Carrera S. It's arctic silver with a black interior, 6-speed, chrono and Techart springs.

I picked it up in Vancouver yesterday and drove it back to Calgary. Got great weather for the first part of the trip (sunny, warm and dry winding roads with very little traffic). Having only driven a 997 on a short test drive at a dealer, I didn't truly appreciate how well the car handled. What an amazing vehicle!

By the time we got to Golden BC, about 3/4 of the 11 hour trip it was dark but the roads still dry, however at about half way between the BC-Alberta border, it started to snow and get cold. All of a sudden, we were driving at 40km/h trying to keep the car on the road. After a few hours of white knuckle driving, we made it into Banff and got a hotel for the night.

Anyway, the trip ended well and we made it home to Calgary this afternoon on dry highways.

I am an extremely happy camper.

Ricardo

Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ricardo,

I am glad to here that you didn't buy the Lemon Recall car, who did you buy it from in Vancouver? Dealer or Private?

You should look into the PCA, I hear that the Calgary area has a good group of people in it.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Ed

Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks Ed,

I'm too am glad I didn't buy the Lemon. The responses I got from the members of this forum helped me make the right decision.

I bought the car through a private owner and had it inspected by Weissach in Vancouver. The car is only 10 months old with less than 14,000kms and other than wear on the tires, it's difficult to tell it from new.

I am going to join the PCA and am looking forward to getting to know some Porsche owners.

Still can't stop smiling!

Ricardo

Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ricardo Canada
Thanks Ed,

I'm too am glad I didn't buy the Lemon. The responses I got from the members of this forum helped me make the right decision.

I bought the car through a private owner and had it inspected by Weissach in Vancouver. The car is only 10 months old with less than 14,000kms and other than wear on the tires, it's difficult to tell it from new.

I am going to join the PCA and am looking forward to getting to know some Porsche owners.

Still can't stop smiling!

Ricardo
I am glad it worked out and you have a car that you are comfortable with, I deal with Weissach for everything that is non warranty on my car. They are awesome people. I know that Weissach is having a track day in Calgary this summer, check out there site for more info in you are interested. I have signed up for their Mission day and one of their Seattle days.

Ed

Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Congrats and many miles of smiles

Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
What a great story . I really enjoyed reading it because seven Porsches later I still know how you feel .

I wish you the best --enjoy the new car .

Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
congrats and good choice

Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
BankBuster23 is infamous around these parts
good job, bud...let's see some pics now....

Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
Pics will be posted tonight

Old 03-31-2008, 06:57 AM
mysticalec is infamous around these parts
congratulations!
Please post pics of your ride!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Congrat's. We picked up our new 997S on Sunday as well (post and pic's to follow in a separate thread).

Many safe, happy miles to you.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Congratulations!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
PorscheLVR is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the car Ricardo and glad to hear you had a safe trip back from BC. We'll have to meet up sometime in Calgary and go for a drive.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Here are some low res pics that were emailed to me

Attached Images      
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
hidesert is infamous around these parts
Congratulations! I got excited reading your report of the drive back home with your new baby. I am really glad it went well and that you're both home safe and secure.
I picked up a gorgeous, tricked out Black/Black 98 C2S in San Francisco. After having a great time with the seller (we're still pals), I started back to Santa Fe. On the way, in the Mojave Desert, I got caught in a windstorm and the car got completely sandblasted. You can imagine my heartbreak. To top it off, later in the trip I got caught in a white-out blizzard in Flagstaff on race tires. It was the worst driving I've ever had to do.
When I got the car home I stuck it in the garage and could not bear to even look at it for a week. I collected $10,500 from my insurance company, but the money never erased the sadness I felt. In retrospect, I should have had the car painted an exotic, one-off color and turned it into a one-of-a-kind, but I just banked the money and drove it .
Anyways, when I flew out to inspect my new car, I ended up flying home and having the car shipped largely to avoid the dicey March weather (turned out to be a really good but $$$ decision, too). But I missed having the opportunity to get to viscerally know and bond with the car over a 12 hour drive and then get to park it in my own garage for the first time!

Last edited by hidesert; 03-31-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: grammar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche!