997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2,000 Mile Break-In Period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gravedgr
This is the most important thing said so far.

My dealer said to let the oil warm up (200 degrees) then drive it like I stole on the way home.
+1 warm it up and go for it. change the oil after the first 1,000 miles.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Thanks for all of the input!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
KBS911 is infamous around these parts
I babied mine for 1840 miles, couldn't stand it any longer so I let her rip! Oh what a feeling!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
In fact, he said the cars that seemed to run the best were the ones they ran the hardest from the beginning.
+1.

I don't abuse my car, but I don't baby it. We do hard mountain runs and DE-type track events. I ignored the "break in period", but I have never passed 4k RPM until the oil is up to normal operating temperatures. So its not surprising to me that I dyno bone stock above a large number of modded cars (plenum, headers, cat-back, CAI, ECU).

Garage queens rarely perform like the track cars.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is infamous around these parts
Some people smoke all their lives and never get cancer... but their numbers are rare and few. Vegas odds. The break in period is VERY short compared to the overall life of the car... but the choice is yours... me.. I made sure I followed it for nothing else but to remove any doubt...

Matt

Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Matt(in MA)
Some people smoke all their lives and never get cancer... but their numbers are rare and few. Vegas odds. The break in period is VERY short compared to the overall life of the car... but the choice is yours... me.. I made sure I followed it for nothing else but to remove any doubt...
Poor analogy, IMHO. I'm not sure how you get the idea that recognizing your engine has already had a sufficient break in by the manufacturer and that recommended break ins are meant to coddle new drivers (primarily US) somehow equates to smoking (i.e. deliberately punishing your body with known-harmful chemicals). Maybe if you were suggesting driving with a low amount of oil or something.

I challenge you to find any engine builder who recommends the kind of break-in that new car vendors do. You'll certainly find many recommendations to the opposite, and almost all focus on proper warm-up + varying loads. The "break in" is legal protection for the manufacturer against stupid new car owners who now have a street legal racing machine. There is no empirical evidence to support this method, only conjecture and dire warnings of "being safe".

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.stealth316.com/2-breakin.htm
http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resour...s/engnbrkn.htm
http://motorcycles.suite101.com/arti...in_controversy

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM
yemenmocha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
A search of this site will no doubt turn up several threads on this very subject.

Opinions vary. My dealership service manager recommended sticking with the 2,000 mile recommendation. Several other reputable shop owners said don't worry about it.

I stuck with the recommendation and just this weekend finally passed the 2,000 mile mark. Since I plan on keeping this car a very long time, I felt that a few months of careful driving was a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Now had I leased the car.... I would have driven like a bat out of hell day one.
+1

I did the 2000 mile break in. In addition to peace of mind, it gave me a lot of cautious experience getting used to the car's handling on twisties in Northern Arizona.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 PM
drkay is infamous around these parts
I agree with gravedgr. After reading all the stuff that's out there, I'm allowing my new C4S to warm up and then driving it hard.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 AM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
My dealer said you don't need to break it in, just turn the ignition and go (of course don't redline it at every light)

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Smile

It's finally over after 30 days of ownership...

I reached 2,004 miles today.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MelsM3
It's finally over after 30 days of ownership...

I reached 2,004 miles today.
Good on you. Now get out there and enjoy it. My last two hundred miles since passing the 2,000 mile mark have been simply outstanding.

What an awesome car.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:15 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I broke in my 997S by the book for 2,000 miles. The oil consumption reduced from 1 quart per 1,000 miles to 1 quart per 2,000 miles during this period. Break-in included coasting down in the lower gears from high rpm's. The car produced noticeably more power after 5,000 to 6,000 miles. The car has 31,000 miles now. Oil consumption is about 1 quart per 2,000 to 2,500 miles. From the posts on various forums, some cars use oil and some do not. Used as a daily driver with numerous short trips. 4 oil changes already, do not agree with the factory 20,000 mile interval. I do not run the car hard until the oil temperature has come up.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I take it easy for the first 1,000- revs below 4000 or so.

If you ever replaced a clutch, they always tell you to break it in for the first 500 miles. I tend to think the break in is for all the rest of the car and not only the motor.

I would never buy a car that was in the PSDS. One guy in our group hadn't driven a manual in years. Talk about abuse!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Multiple excursions past 4,000 RPM.................

When I broke in my C4S the car experience Multiple brief excursions past 4,000 RPM................. to about 6 to 7 K RPM, but never holding it, just let the revs rise and fall.

Always allowed oil to warm up.

My car consumed 1 quart in first 1,000 miles, then stopped.

Did oil change at 5,000 miles.

I now have over 20 K in one year, car has consumed 1/2 qt.

One track day at Laguna gave me a second break-in - car ran even better - smoother torque.

I am a believer that a "harder break-in" yields better performance in the long run- same experience with motorcycles I have owned.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Fortunately, I have not burnt any oil yet [knock wood].

MichaelL... I think that Porsche now says... once every year or every 12,000 miles.

Last edited by MelsM3; 07-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2,000 Mile Break-In Period