997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 C4S v2 or Audi R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 AM
$w!ft is on a distinguished road
997 C4S v2 or Audi R8

I cant decide which one I want to get.

I need a nice AWD car for the swiss mountains, car will be used in snow and wont cover too many miles per year.

I am definately a fan of manual gearboxes so I would choose the 6 Speed Manual for the R8 and im quite the sure the manual for the new 997 even though im hearing great things about PDK.

Does anyone have any kind of experience with each car?

I am liking the R8 and how it looks more aggresive, that and the fact that everyone has a porsche around here.

But then again porsche is a great classic and i've always wanted one.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i am a Porsche fan but since i have driven the R8 i have fallen in love with it. if u appreciate the safety of an AWD system (winter, rain etc.) and u donīt really need the 2 extra seats of the 997 and don`t care much about the new PDK as well, iīd def. recommend the R8. if u go on the track very often, i would go for the CarreraS and RWD, cause pure RWD is much more fun, but only if u really have the time to go for it. (not saying the R8 is bad for the track or providing no fun on it)

the R8 definitely wins in terms of looks (if u like aggressiveness), exclusivity, raising attention and also comfort. the porsche wins in terms of prestige (for example if u tell someone "i am driving an Audi" compared to "i am driving a Porsche"), degree of perfection and price.
The level of refinement in the overall experience of the R8 is striking in a back to back comparison. The 911 is quite nervous at times wheras the R8 just feels amazing all the time. an absolute brillant car which will put a 24/7 smile on ur face and the V8 sound is just sick (a growling beast with a good exhaust). nevertheless, both are awesome cars and there is not too much between them in most aspects. i would go for who u think looks best and delivers more emotions. tough but nice decision imho.

P.S. By the way, in the newest edition of a german car magazine called AUTOBILD the Audi R8 R-Tronic has beaten the fresh 997 4S MK-II PDK on the Nordschleife, which tells u something about the balance and ability of the car as well, itīs a worthy 911 contender. Of course the R8 got more BHP but it also carries more weight and the PDK is much quicker than the R-tronic.
Carrera 4S-PDK: 8:04,52 min (0-100km/h 4.5, 0-200km/h 15.6 sec.)
Audi R8 R-tronic: 8:01,90 min(0-100km/h 4.6, 0-200km/h 16 sec.)

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-12-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 AM
InrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud of
All I can say is I love my R8 but the C4S is an exceptionnal machine as well. As far as a daily driver I think I would find the C4S more appropriate with its back seats and it has a bit more storing space. Then again I'm dreaming of taking my R8 in the winter and as a daily driver... But I'm lacking the guts to do it!

As far as driving experience it's the same as everyone says, the Pcar is a bit less confidence inspiring with its heavy tail so I'm more comfortable with a mid-engine layout. (Plus the engine bay looks gorgeous!)

Nonetheless it's hard to hate either of them, they're such great cars.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 AM
$w!ft is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info Guys.

InrevInc I love the colour of your R8, thats kind of the colour I was looking for. Got any pics of it?

Oh and for exhausts regarding the R8 I was either thinking PPI with valves or Kreissieg (which I think has no valves and is constantly loud)

Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
can't go wrong with either cars.

been on PIR track with an R8 and it is very fast.

was surprise that the 997.2 4S with PDK can't beat the R8 as the first gen 997 was already very close to or equal to R8 on various comparisons.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
@swift, there are many good exhausts out there for the R8 and the 997.
Milltek, Edo, APR and many more, just search for "R8 or 997 exhaust" on youtube.

@targa Tim, i am sure that in the future some other car magazines may have the 997-4S PDK as the winner in their own track tests.
i just wanted to emphasize that the R8 is a great car. Itīs the 1st edition of Audiīs sportscar and within itīs BHP-category it can already keep up with the very best (Porsche etc.).

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-12-2008 at 11:16 AM.