997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
Originally Posted by Le Chef
Yes, it's very convenient for you that I can't reveal the data, because I don't think you could handle seeing the truth. It's industry statistically valid data used by every car manufacturer and importer, and it's very clear about how people behave in real life. As sample of one, mercifully you don't fit the profile. If you can't see the other side of the equation and aren't prepared to consider it perhaps this is not going to be a good place for you.

There are BMW forums by the way that you might feel happier visiting, and I'm sure Rolls has a Grey Poupon Club or something you could join.
Rolls club

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sweeper
There are 8 Porsche's faster than the M3, BMW needs to do something to catch the Porsche's. (BMW- Because Mine Won't win )

Did anyone see BMW at the Rolex 24 hr race??? Porsche swept the GT class and 1st and 3rd in DP, 2nd went to the Lexas
They did, the spend lots of money with Car and Driver for advertising, and then the writers are heavily influenced by the fact that if BMW's don't sell that perhaps they will be hanging out on automobile forums like the rest of us pretending we know everything, as they will be out of work.

Love the Because Mine Won't, never heard that one before. I don't think I saw any BMW's there. Wait I think I saw one in the parking lot as they panned over the facilities.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
WOW, this gets people riled up! I like to put scientific data in as much as possible in conditions such as these, and should note that in the Mag issue where the M3 was in front of the porsche, there are 3 pages of porsche ads and NO bmw ads. I then went and looked back over the last 12 months and found that porsche always had the preferential advertising space. I just thought it would be helpful to debunk the conspiracy theory. If anything, C&Ds bias is towards practical cars. They seem to be almost like consumer reports sometimes. Let's not forget that they found the B5 S4 to be better than the E36 M3 too! I had the S4 and it was a pig. I loved the luxury, but it had severe terminal understeer all the time. All the Euro based mags noted this, but not C&D. I have to admit, that I do trust them when they use professional drivers as testers. Either way, the latest automobile magazine says it best, " the 911 has a sense of theater at any speed" "and is the best car here" My frst test drive, that "sense of theater" or perhaps we could call it "character" was unmistakable and wonderful. The M3 needed to be beaten a bit for it's character to shine through. It was just a touch ordinary feeling at lower velocities, but that could be nice too. (low sound levels and comfy seats, good stereo, etc)

Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
just went over to M3post and read the M3 vs 997 thread.

yes, some of the comments are funny, but actually most of the comments are legit and very reasonable. I have a lot more respect for M3 owners after reading that thread. They are a lot like us, everyone wants to have a GT3!

regarding the C & D magazine, yes, it has evolved into a car consumer report for the general public rather than for the true car guys. A car will always score better with trunk space, rear seat room, gas mileage is a big thing lately, and car price. Can't blame them as this is the information that the public wants to see.

But for true car guys like us, we will take performance over anything. In fact we prefer cars that have no insulation (i.e. light weight), stiff suspension, no sunroof, loud exhaust....it is easy to see why the C & D magazine will not pick the cars that we like....as it is all our fault.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
C&D "Best Letter" this month is funny

In reference to the previous months Corvette ZR1 vs Z06 comparison article, this guy writes in:

"You guys showed remarkable restraint in not declaring a BMW as the winner of your Corvette shootout!"

Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Kurt_OH will become famous soon enoughKurt_OH will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
But for true car guys like us, we will take performance over anything. In fact we prefer cars that have no insulation (i.e. light weight), stiff suspension, no sunroof, loud exhaust....it is easy to see why the C & D magazine will not pick the cars that we like....as it is all our fault.
For you and the other "true car guys" here: stop crying about the trunk space and try reading the article - the conclusion is irrelevant; the TRACK TEST SHOWED THE M3 was FASTER! The M3 was FASTER. Interesting that the "true car guys" are talking down the car that won the track portion of the comparison. Apparently a "true car guy" just wants the noisier, less comfortable and not as fast car. Interesting information.

Keep talking about how the M3 guys are selling out or less committed when they can BOTH outrun your 911 AND have the usable trunk and a real back seat. It makes you look smart!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alan
In reference to the previous months Corvette ZR1 vs Z06 comparison article, this guy writes in:

"You guys showed remarkable restraint in not declaring a BMW as the winner of your Corvette shootout!"

Just got my issue today, i love the letters

Last edited by Sweeper; 01-31-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: duh
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
For you and the other "true car guys" here: stop crying about the trunk space and try reading the article - the conclusion is irrelevant; the TRACK TEST SHOWED THE M3 was FASTER! The M3 was FASTER. Interesting that the "true car guys" are talking down the car that won the track portion of the comparison. Apparently a "true car guy" just wants the noisier, less comfortable and not as fast car. Interesting information.

Keep talking about how the M3 guys are selling out or less committed when they can BOTH outrun your 911 AND have the usable trunk and a real back seat. It makes you look smart!

Hey Kurt,

Take it easy. Nobody is crying, I have been laughing too much reading and typing this thread.

If you really understand what most of us are saying here, all these cars that we talk about are very close to each other, any track time differences can be heavily influenced by the driver, road condition, etc.

But since this is a 997 board, the majority of us will prefer a 997 over M3, and we don't need any objective test to defense ourselves.

Ed has enclosed the Autocar article on my behalf that you requested earlier, and it showed that on a wet track, the 997S was "way faster" than the F430. And you were the one who said there was no way that a 997S can outrun a F430. I am "smart enough" not to go on FerrariChat to claim that my 997S is better than F430.

You can keep hanging out here to defense the M3, but that only further prove how stupid you are.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
This thread is ....

...let me end the debate right here....

Which car will pull the hotter chicks????????????

...nuff said

Old 01-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
This thread is ....

...nuff said

Let me guess....a midnight blue 997S cab will pull the hottest chick.

But a M3 sedan can pack 3 more in the rear seat, and 2 more in the trunk.

Do you prefer quality vs quantity?

Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH

Kurt, I have the magazine and still have not read the article. I have looked at it and I will agree that around Laguna the BMW was 1.1 seconds faster on a 1:40 lap. That is about 1% faster, not enough to really make a massive difference. I will say it is a good thing that they only tested it for one lap, as every M3 owner I have seen at the track complains about the fact that there brakes are toast after 10 hard laps. No I recall another article written by your demigods at C&D (they are experts after all) that found that the Porsche brakes (both the cast iron, and PCCB) out braked and didn't fade from an intense and repeated braking test.

Can't go around fast when you have no brakes.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
This thread is ....

...nuff said
Good point Skyler. I am not sure I want to use that as justification for buying one to my wife. However you have the distinct advantage of allowing the lovely young ladies the opportunity to check their make up with your wheels.

I am only giving you a hard time. Good to see your post again.

Ed

Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM
RiceEater is on a distinguished road
BMW (*****, Moan, Whine) owners need to relax. Yes, we as Porsche owners realize the mag article objectively showed that the sedan won 1 whole lap (whoopee!) by 1.1 second (double whooppee!). The top of the bottom of the line model matched the bottom of the line model 911, which again, still has a few more iterations that will royally hand any m3 it's bangled bumper.

There's no challenge in driving an M3. You may as well buy a civic and stick a turbo engine with Nitrous in it. It has more horses and great center of gravity!

North makes a great point: at the core of the "racing" experience, the authors of the article noted that the BMW brakes are crap, and there is no way that those stock floating calipers will hold a candle to a 911 after a few hard laps. The 911 wins!

End thread.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
crocrr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Let me guess....a midnight blue 997S cab will pull the hottest chick.

But a M3 sedan can pack 3 more in the rear seat, and 2 more in the trunk.

Do you prefer quality vs quantity?
Tim....a man after my own heart......I like the way you think. Depends on how drunk you are....

Everyone else.....aaaaarrrggghhhh. I thought we ended this debate. I'm selling the P-car and the M-car and buying a used Vega

Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
crocrr is on a distinguished road
Hey Ed, note that Lexus came in 2nd. I'm ready to start that self flagellation post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09