997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how does aftermarket body parts effect resale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
how does aftermarket body parts effect resale?

i see a lot of people doing GT3 and after market wings and bumpers.

whats the effect on resale and is any of the aftermarket stuff wind tunnel tested.

the 911 platform is already a great balancing act so what might happen at high speeds? thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 05:21 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I have no input on the answer, but this is a good thread and I am anxious to hear some opinions.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
no matter what aftermarket mods you do you will never recover the cost upon sale...it is usually better to take them off and restore the car to stock condition (or as nearly as possible) and sell the parts separately...even if you found a buyer who liked the car the way it was modded they would not want to pay you the extra...as far as what it does to handling that would vary depending on the quality of the bits and if both ends of the car were modded with compatible bits

Old 02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Options and aftermarket parts add little or no value on resale. In addition, many used car buyers avoid modded cars.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:16 PM
jabed92694 will become famous soon enough
Personally, I totally avoided buying a preowned car that was modded mostly because I was more concerned that if someone heavily modded the car, it was more than likely driven hard and tracked often. I was also worried about the warrantly being voided so I preferred buying a stock car then doing what I wanted to it!!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
personally, i wouldnt want to buy a modded car. i like my cars pretty much virgin and if and when any mods are done, i want to be the one doing it.

i know too well that you cant get any money out of mods and it might actually hurt resale because i suspect there are other guys out there that think like i do.

and no offense to those that do these kinds of mods because frankly, some of them look very nice.

however, porsche's are not cheap and i dont know how you guys get the ***** to hack into them so casually.

if i were to do it, i think the OE porsche parts look better than the AF parts. so to not throw off the balance, i'd have to do a full GT 2 or 3 upgrade at which point it seems more logical to just buy a GT3.

and then i'd have the whole posuer thing to work out in my head.

i think im just going to slap a set of wheels (maybe) and call it a day and enjoy what i have.

ofcourse ymmv

Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Personally, I totally avoided buying a preowned car that was modded mostly because I was more concerned that if someone heavily modded the car, it was more than likely driven hard and tracked often. I was also worried about the warrantly being voided so I preferred buying a stock car then doing what I wanted to it!!
i have highly moded cars before and the most fun was the modding phase. once done, i got bored and sometimes wished i could be stock again. modding adds but also degrades certain aspects of the car/driving experience.

im much more cautious going forward this time around. though i do enjoy reading others journeys

Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Three choices come to mine :
1) Convert the car back to stock and sell the parts. Gets about 1/2 price on the mods.
2) Trade in the modded car = the most costly . One gets about 15 percent of the mods value on trade .
3) Find a buyer who loves the car as much as you do, I would hope that beyond the expense he would cherish the car as I did.

I would look for number 3 . Any person who saw the amont of time placed into my cars construction can go out , buy a stock car, and spend a year and thousands trying to get it like mine. Good luck. Pics below of just the most recent upgrades. This is just a fragment of what he would have to do.

I also would tell anyone --go out and drive a stock 997tt and them come back and drive mine.

Attached Images     

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-15-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Any person who would buy my car would meet the entire team of individuals who worked on it to verify the cars history discuss the coverage into its future. A stock car wil NOT come with this . At best the buyer is just another number sitting in the service drive with a random advisor . It's quite different when you have a team who run the show. It's different when theur bosses boss know who you are. It's very different when only the highest skilled technicians are even allowed to go near your car. In short the person who gets my car doesn'ty just get a Porsche . He gets a group of of talent who have spent MONTHS making that car special . Each one of them has a piece of his time and effort placed into my car and on a creative level --stock won't compare.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Kurt_OH will become famous soon enoughKurt_OH will become famous soon enough
yrralis1:

That's all really very impressive, seriously. Also, I wish you had included some captions with those photos - what all should I be seeing in them? Likely I don't even recognize all that's special there!

Lastly, IMHO, yours may be the exception in regards to mods. When I read the OP's initial post, I thought of myself as a potential buyer approaching a modded car, withOUT all the background/support/skill being so apparent. More like I see the car advertised, show up to meet the owner, he tells me how he loves it and took care of it and how fast/wonderful/perfect it is, and I value the mods for myself based upon that experience.

In such a seller-verified circumstance, I don't believe the mods add any value, and just as likely, they detract from either the value, or the market. Some folks simply will not buy a significantly modded vehicle for aesthetic or suspicion of abuse justifications. I'll admit that when I see a heavily modded car, I immediatly think it's been abused.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I have a friend who sells used luxury cars and he says that slightly (tastefully) modded cars tend to bring in a little more money at auction. You won't get the money you put into it back but a few slight things may help. For example my car has a gt3 bumper, black sport design wheels, and yellow powdercoated brakes. He said my car would sell really well at auction and it is probably worth a few thousand over over a base one. Those parts aren't that much and you can be done for under 3k if you get 2k extra for it or it sells quicker then in the end the mods weren't so bad. So in the end I think it depends on the mods and also the location (I live in Miami).

Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
1) VSE is correct in saying that one will never recover the money spent in mods . But actually a car is generally a depreciating asset and the mods are merely for enjoyment.

2) Kurt --I probably should have placed captions . Since my car the stages of its development have been discussed on the 997tt forum but the most recent upgrades visible in those photos are Pss10 suspension, Gt2 sway bars. Tubi race exhaust , Brembo Brakes. I am also getting a Gt2 clutch conversion and interior upgrades . The car already is an EVT 700 . The aerokit is Techart type 1 . All of this is on the Turbo forum and I have discussed it for over a year.

3) Kurt --if you are buying a modded car you must ask to meet those who worked on it . It does require some extra effort on both the buyer and seller but you can save thousands plus hours of time buying a well cared for already modded car . All of these things can be verified . Of course you can buy a stock car and spend double to mod it plus worry about installation . If the seller won't submit verification .. walk from the deal .

4) warranty -- remember YOU own the car . Not the dealer , not the tuner , not the next buyer . If your name is on the title YOU get to decide what future holds for yoir car. Some love a garage queen. others keep it stock and drive it daily, Others mod it for the track . Everyone is different .

5) cayenne --cars in general at auction bring wholesale value and usually if a modded car makes it to aution it may have issues . In fact even stock cars may have issues.
Upon trade in all one can expect is maybe 15 percent of the mods at best. Private sale -maybe 50 .

6) I feel that the key to selling a modded car and not parting it out is to continue its legacy . Don't you guys ever wonder if one of your former cherished cars is being equally enjoyed by the new owner ? Theres no reason for a hard worked dream to fade .

Conclusion -I plan to keep my car for a long time but when I sell it I want to keep its memory alive in my heart and would wait to find someone worth selling it to . Otherwise .I'll just keep it . I spent far too much time to make it this special.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-15-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
why dont you post a few pics of that bad boy already

Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
You mentioned modifying with OE parts like GT3 front bumpers and rear wings. In this case, as long as the paint work is quality... these mods will have little to no effect on re-sale as they are Porsche OE parts and there is a market for buyers looking for Aerokitted/GT3 look 997's. Oh...and the Aero Kit/GT3 Aerodynamic packages were wind tunnel tested by Porsche.

Then there are kits made by companies like Techart. If the previous owner had a legit Techart body kit installed by a credible Techart distributer and bodyshop then even in this case the effect on re-sale will be minimal. Anything else is going to have a negative effect on re-sale unless you find a buyer looking for exactly what you have.

As others have mentioned, it always helps if the work was done at a credible workshop. For example, it is always better to have your work done at a shop like GMG or Sharkwerks because these are very recognized names in Porsche tuning. Sadly, only those in the Porsche tuning world are going to be aware of shops like GMG/Sharkwerks so even in this case the aftermarket parts are probably going to have a negative effect on re-sale.

I think the absolute best bet for someone modifying cars and worried about re-sale, is to plan to convert back to stock or close to stock before selling. As mentioned above, removing the aftermarket parts and selling them to other enthusiasts will get about 1/2 of your initial investment back minus the labor costs. So keep your stock wheels, exhaust, shocks/springs, intake so that you can go back to stock before you sell.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 02-15-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
VMM
VMM is on a distinguished road
yrralis1... you make some great points. We can really see the passion that you feel for your car and the mods performed. I would typically stay away from a modded car for some of the reasons mentioned previously... mostly because I don't think many will have the attention to detail and time put into them. But if you are selling your car... I know you will find the right person and probably get what you want for your car. It is truly one of a kind. In the future, if I can find someone who can really show the reasoning behind the modifications and insists I meet on those who put the car together... I don't think I'll have any issues with that purchase. That being said, I hope you don't sell for a long time. I think your car will provide many years of enjoyment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how does aftermarket body parts effect resale?