997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car and Driver: C6 vs. 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 03:12 PM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
Please........

I get so tired of the porsche put downs, if you dislike the cars so much buy a corvette, chevy makes a fine sportscar and some of your points are well taken, but a corvette is still a chevy, your comparing a timex to a rolex. We buy and drive Porsches because we love the cars.

How many miles have you logged in a 997? I'll bet not many, if you even drove one at all. It's a great car and Porsche will sell a ton of them, and the 996 ,IMO is one the best cars ever built by Porsche.

I think you would be happier if you switched brands, but remember, There is no substitute.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:00 PM
psychoflex is on a distinguished road
Are vettes stable at 150mph or does the whole interior shake as if it will come apart? I haven't driven the new Vette yet but remember this happening with a 2000 Vette that a friend had. That could be the biggest difference between the Porsche and the Vette. Quality

Old 11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Corvettes are hot. How often do you drive around at 15o anyway? I'd still love to have a 997 but admittedly, its not as great as I hoped it would be.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Crash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 05997S
Corvettes are hot. How often do you drive around at 15o anyway? I'd still love to have a 997 but admittedly, its not as great as I hoped it would be.
I drive around 150 and over all the time. I love the Vette, but if it falls apart at these speeds, then it´s a no-no.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:48 AM
bpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the rough
It seems like those of you who don't have a 997 are eager to talk alot of sh*t. I am not one of those sissy drivers whose afraid to go fast and corner hard. I bought my 997S w/ ceramics to push driving to its limits and I have yet to be let down. This car never ceases to impress me, it even makes me giggle at times. This car feels better than any P ever made- heavy, solid, and glued to the ground! If you liked any previous P model then you should absolutely love the new 997. New models always have the intent of performing better, not worse! Like the old saying, "you can't judge a book by its cover" Drive it and drive it hard and you will be astonished with the performance and technological advances.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:34 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
For me persoanlly I feel like I have to cough up about 25K in membership dues to be part of the fraternity. I like the Porsche club, I like the racing heritage and all that and there is definetly some value in it, but it just wasn't enough to make me want to spend 85K. Like I said I would still like to have one and maybe in the future the money won't matter so much to me. Still a hot car even if you can't ditch a Vette in it.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by bpanos
It seems like those of you who don't have a 997 are eager to talk alot of sh*t. I am not one of those sissy drivers whose afraid to go fast and corner hard. I bought my 997S w/ ceramics to push driving to its limits and I have yet to be let down. This car never ceases to impress me, it even makes me giggle at times. This car feels better than any P ever made- heavy, solid, and glued to the ground! If you liked any previous P model then you should absolutely love the new 997. New models always have the intent of performing better, not worse! Like the old saying, "you can't judge a book by its cover" Drive it and drive it hard and you will be astonished with the performance and technological advances.
1. Have you done any DE yet? If not, you have no idea what pushing it to the limit means.

2. I have a Turbo, and I am unimpressed by the 997S for the simple fact that it still uses the punched out Boxster M96 block without a dry sump.

3. I am not judging it by the cover, I am judging it by what's underneath the skin, and M96 with the RMS issues just don't impress me, let along convince me to spend any $$ on getting one.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Wait, so do i take Stuka's comments to mean that the 997 uses a modified 986 boxster engine? Is this the case in the 997S? What about the 987 boxster?

Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Who cares about a M96 block without a dry sump? have the 997
RMS started leaking, time will tell but i don't think so. don't compare the turbo to the 997 they are different cars, a carrera is not a turbo. I'll ask again; have you driven a 997S? I doubt it.
drive an S and i think you'll be impressed, but don't expect turbo power, it's still a carrera. but it's a great car.

Last edited by 911 flyn; 12-01-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by trojanman
Wait, so do i take Stuka's comments to mean that the 997 uses a modified 986 boxster engine? Is this the case in the 997S? What about the 987 boxster?
That is correct, that is the M96.

If you plan on tracking your car at all, don't get one with it. Don't believe me? Why do you think that there is a factory oiling kit for the M96 cars that alleviates oil starvation issue on the M96 blocks? Yet when installed, voids your warranty. How about that?

And I wasn't comparing the Turbo power to the 997S, I was comparing the basic design of the engine. Back in the 993 days, all 993's get the same block with dry sump. Now, you have to shell out 6 figure $$ to get a P car with it. So as someone who does 15 track days a year, I will never buy a P car with M96.

So, why would PAG take a giant step backward? Right, the M96 is way cheaper to make and therefore allows a larger profit margin.

As far as driving it. I don't need to drive a Lincoln Navigator to know that it sucks, same logic applies here. I know what the 997's are made of, and I am not interested in it the least bit. I will probably get the 997 GT2 when it comes out.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:17 AM
SD1
I drove them both 997 and the "S" though I didn't drive the S untill after I bought a C55. I drove a Turbo too. I don't see why people hammer so hard on the Vette, the 996 interior is just as cheesy.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Stuka,

I think you secretly love the 997 but don't want to admit it......

Old 12-03-2004, 08:07 PM
yelllowirv996 is on a distinguished road
Vette or 997

My 2 cents.......

First the driving experience,,,,,Porsche is a Porsche it just feels different...you feel like part of the car.....now the vette....I test drove the 03 Z06....I like the way the car looks from the outside and I also like the New 05 how it looks.....but the interior is imported from a chevelle or something..The Z06 had a lousy interior ...it felt like a supercharged mustang.....I wish they would have done a better job with the interior....and yes it is cheap compared to the 996 or the 997......but the interior looks cheap......most Porsche owners are not drag racers we enjoy the drive and open the car up now and then...I would have considered the new one if the interior was better and the drive..nothing beats a Porsche....say what you want.....now what if the vette had the porsche crest and vice versa...well then I would have been in the vette with the porsche crest.......as lame as it sounds....this is socal...and if you live in a multi million dollar home you drive a classic or a Porsche.......now ...53k buys an 02 carrera with less than 15k miles and 75k buys an 01 turbo with less than 15k miles....this is where I say goodbye to the Vette.....yes it is the name....yes it is the driving experience and yes we would have preferred more acceleration but we will live with the present performance...as far as the Z06 beating the TT..in your dreams partner

Old 12-04-2004, 08:06 AM
SD1
They are not dreaming. Take into consideration that their standard car is now nearly as quick as the Turbo. Another 100hp and the car could be in the high 3's. Porsche will have to step up. I think thats great. I know that there are a fair amount of people who do cross shop the Vette and the 911, I did.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:09 PM
As quick as a turbo? please....

The Mags tested the C6 against the Carrera 997's, IMO because they would'nt stand a chance up against the turbo. the carrera held it's own against the C6 and would have out voted the vette except for it's price. you should change your sig. to 05 C6.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: C6 vs. 997