997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fresh Meat For C4S: Bridgestone RE-11 First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I notice that the RE-11's are not N-rated like the RE050A's. Any concerns about this?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I notice that the RE-11's are not N-rated like the RE050A's. Any concerns about this?
Wasn't too much of a concern for me, Ken. Having had the RE-11 for a little while now I think it's a much better tire than the two N-rated tires I've had on my car (the P-Zero and the PS2) before I switched to the Bridgestone. If I were ever likely to be able to get my car up to Autobahn speeds (and maintain those kind of speeds for a sustained period) I might think about sticking with an N-rated tire, but that's never going to happen here in CA and I find the RE-11 to be a phenomenal tire for the kind of driving I actually do. The N-spec tires are generally Y rated (up to 186mph) with the RE-11 W rated (up to 168mph).

Last edited by swajames; 12-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Put it this way....

1-we all switch to R-comp tires for the track...none N rated...Hosier R6,Toyo R888 and RA1's are the most popular. None of these tires fail at the track or driving to and from the track.

2-A lot of guys in the north switch to snow tires, again not N rated and they do great on the road during the winter months.

3-as long as the tire is built for a sports car and the load rating is correct I do not see a problem with useing it on your Porsche.

4- finally I ask what tire are people going to use years down the road when The N1/N2 Porsche rated tires have changed and are no longer available?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
ponyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by unclejosh
Tires have been heat cycled on the street multiple times and "pushed" on some twisties (HWY 84, Woodside to San Gregorio). About 350 miles or so since new. I commute 2 - 3 x week in my car.

Obs.

1. These tires ride significantly better than RE05As and PS2s - less road noise and cushier ride. Very noticeable.
  2. The feel compared to the 05As is quite different. The 11s don't have the pebble to pebble to expansion joint feedback as the 05As, which I missed at first. However, the ride is quite improved, so I have adjusted.
  3. The traction is excellent - caveat - street obs only.
  4. I run 33F/39R psi. I typically gain 4 psi when warm.
  5. I am still getting used to these tires, but I have noticed that they have dulled my lust for the spendy PS2s...........
Unclejosh,

Very cool! Having grown up in San Mateo (before I moved to San Clemente) I spent a lot of time on the roads with both my 308 GTSI and '94 Speedster. The Ferrari not so fast but handled Hwy 1 like it was hooked on a cable and I had the speedster thru 185 before I ran out of comfortable road on 280 between Woodside Road and 94 (not agreat Porsche driver I ate all 5 lanes). Unfortunately I got caught one night attempting to beat that and my Formule 1 career ended.

Thanks for the memories.

Ponyboy

Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
ponyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by unclejosh
Tires have been heat cycled on the street multiple times and "pushed" on some twisties (HWY 84, Woodside to San Gregorio). About 350 miles or so since new. I commute 2 - 3 x week in my car.

Obs.

1. These tires ride significantly better than RE05As and PS2s - less road noise and cushier ride. Very noticeable.
  2. The feel compared to the 05As is quite different. The 11s don't have the pebble to pebble to expansion joint feedback as the 05As, which I missed at first. However, the ride is quite improved, so I have adjusted.
  3. The traction is excellent - caveat - street obs only.
  4. I run 33F/39R psi. I typically gain 4 psi when warm.
  5. I am still getting used to these tires, but I have noticed that they have dulled my lust for the spendy PS2s...........
Unclejosh,

Very cool! Having grown up in San Mateo (before I moved to San Clemente) I spent a lot of time on these roads with both my 308 GTSI and '94 Speedster. The Ferrari, not so fast but handled Hwy 1 like it was hooked on a cable and I had the speedster thru 185 before I ran out of comfortable road on 280 between Woodside Road and Hwy 94 (not being a great Porsche driver I ate up all 5 lanes). Unfortunately I got caught one night attempting to beat my previous pass and my "Formule 1" career ended right there.

Thanks for the memories.

Ponyboy

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Based on the good reports here, I'm very tempted to go with these tires when I buy new ones in the next month or so. On the Tire Rack website, there is one recent owner review that found the tire shoulders were badly worn after 2000 street miles and 20 short track sessions. Has anyone else here experienced abnormal shoulder wear on their RE-11's?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
Based on the good reports here, I'm very tempted to go with these tires when I buy new ones in the next month or so. On the Tire Rack website, there is one recent owner review that found the tire shoulders were badly worn after 2000 street miles and 20 short track sessions. Has anyone else here experienced abnormal shoulder wear on their RE-11's?
Ken, I'm at less than 2000 miles in on my RE-11's so far, but right now I've got no apparent signs of abnormal shoulder wear (in fact the tires show hardly any signs of wear at all). I know a few other members also have these tires (zoomzoommo being one) and these guys should have more miles than me and may be better placed to comment on the shoulder wear.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
20 track sessions is a lot! I do around 5-7 2day DE events a year and I am lucky if a set of Toyo R888's last.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
20 track sessions is a lot! I do around 5-7 2day DE events a year and I am lucky if a set of Toyo R888's last.
He is saying sessions, not events Each event has about 3-4 sessions, which equal to more or less 5 track events.

I had 6k miles + 3 events on my rear tires (pirelli pzero rosso) and they were trash at the end of it...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Tom N C4S NC is on a distinguished road
20 short track sessions probably would total 6+ hours (at least at a typical PCA DE), which would be more than enough to wear the shoulders with a stock alignment.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Apparently I mis-characterized the situation in my earlier post today. I apologize for the confusion. Here is the excerpted recent quote from the customer's review on Tire Rack's website for these tires:

"Fun while they lasted. Which, sad to say, was ONLY 2 MONTHS. After about a dozen 20 minute track sessions and 2000 miles of easy highway driving the shoulders are completely gone and this $1100 set of tires need to be replaced. The OEM Michelin PS2s weren't noticeably less responsive and lasted 14000 miles. Going back to Michelins."

They were installed on a 2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder.

Last edited by keninirvine; 12-07-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
The Re-11 has an interesting tread profile. It appears that it should do very well in good dry pavement. I wonder how they behave on the wet as it only has 2 longitudinal grooves and fewer sideways grooves.

It's interesting to note that TireRack lists these tires for the 997.1 but not for the 997.2 !?! They do not list the PS2s as OEM either !?!

One observation on tire weight:

RE-11 27lb F 32lb R

RE050A 24lb F 31lb R

PS2 22lb F 29lb R
Good info.. 3-5lbs per front tire rotational is HUGE.. The tire is the worst of all Rotating weight..

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
nice to hear I have the RE050s on my car and love them running 36R and 31F, and they heat up perfectly had the dreaded pirellis' on the car as the OEM.....they sucked!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
RE-11 Update

Have about 5,000 street miles on tires thus far and one or two AX, I forgot.

Wear has been excellent and I expect an easy 10,000 out of this set.

I have forgotten about PS2s altogether.

Another note: running 39 in front and 39 in rear. Undetectable understeer with this inflation and TC Design Fab alignment !

Car is neutral and secure.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 PM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
Im also interested in these, however according to the Bridgestone website http://www.bridgestone-potenza.com/re11/ there are only front sizes for 19" rims. can someone please confirm if rears (295/30/19 ro 305/30/19) are available?

edit...
Apologies, my mistake - tirerack have 285/35/19 or 305/30/19 listed (but the Bridgestone site does not)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....=Potenza+RE-11

Last edited by cl997; 02-05-2010 at 03:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fresh Meat For C4S: Bridgestone RE-11 First Impressions