997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Wink

Originally Posted by JEllis
The new S4 and 335i are very comparable. If there is not already, there will be plenty of easy power mods for the SC'd S4. But, keep in mind even the Dinan chip for the 335i voids the factory warranty and you are trusting that Dinan will stand behind their product. Its a gamble. A 2010 S4 with LSD would be a sweet DD and fast.

I think you can actually get a BMW LSD for the 335i now but in reality how often are you even going to use the LSD in a DD??

Jason
The salesman I met yesterday assured me that Dinan is working through BMW on this mod and, as a result, the factory warranty stands. Hard to believe, but he was adamant.

I've owned many BMW's and MB's over the years, and I've never ventured into Audiland -- probably as a result of the crap cars they foisted on us in the 70's and 80's (and 90's?). However, the BMW 650i I just turned back had its fair share of electronic gremlins which greatly detracted from my enjoyment of the car, along with the steptronic transmission. Consequently, I'm convinced all of these manufacturers are capable of building problem models and, for the first time, I'm willing to consider some other brands. Heck, I wish Rolex made a car -- even if it ran a tad bit slow.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Why not pickup the a certified 08 RS4? One of the best engines ever made. They are running in 50's and very low miles.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote][ I drove a BMW 335i 6MT coupe, which I understand now mimics the M3 with the Dinan chip while maintaining the factory warranty, /QUOTE]

I have been through 19 BMW's including an 06 330i and now an 08 M3 . I post on a 335i forum as i enjoy the forum from time to time . The 335i has some reliability issues . You can chip it till the end of time and it will still lag , The M3 stock will take it in every performance category PLUS the M has an LSD and the 335 does not . Reliability also goes to the M . It's the car to get.

Dinan was once associated with BMW but this is no longer the case . BMW is so strict on warranty that no matter what you do to that 335i they will call it out .

I would pass on the 335i . In fact I would even opt for a 328i over it just for reliability issues but perfomance wise the M all the way . BTW --they like the 335.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGzq4Pyv8Q

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
[quote=yrralis1;2565833]
[ I drove a BMW 335i 6MT coupe, which I understand now mimics the M3 with the Dinan chip while maintaining the factory warranty, /QUOTE]

I have been through 19 BMW's including an 06 330i and now an 08 M3 . I post on a 335i forum as i enjoy the forum from time to time . The 335i has some reliability issues . You can chip it till the end of time and it will still lag , The M3 stock will take it in every performance category PLUS the M has an LSD and the 335 does not . Reliability also goes to the M . It's the car to get.

Dinan was once associated with BMW but this is no longer the case . BMW is so strict on warranty that no matter what you do to that 335i they will call it out .

I would pass on the 335i . In fact I would even opt for a 328i over it just for reliability issues but perfomance wise the M all the way . BTW --they like the 335.
I certainly respect your opinion. The lag bothered me, and of course the salesman opined that the Dinan eliminated that issue. My instinct is that you are absolutely correct. Any opinion on the S4 or the C63 or E63?

I've had two M3's in the past, and they were impressive cars. I'm just slightly concerned about how porky they've become.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=dlchasen;2565856]
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I certainly respect your opinion. The lag bothered me, and of course the salesman opined that the Dinan eliminated that issue. My instinct is that you are absolutely correct. Any opinion on the S4 or the C63 or E63?

I've had two M3's in the past, and they were impressive cars. I'm just slightly concerned about how porky they've become.
I remember the days when 60 minutes has a feast on Audi . I never liked the cars then and still feel they are the the inferior car in every category . The R8 is the best of them and even that car is underpowered. The A4 loaners have the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in --worse than my Honda .

The Mercedes is a great car but not the AMG's . I would not buy a Mercedes for performance because even though its fast it's boring . They are fast . They are boring. They also depreciate faster than a meteor falling in space.

If i bought a Mercedes I would buy a big comfy cruiser . That's where Mercedes thrives . Customer service is great, Do not lease one though . MB leases are a nightmare .

In fact the idea of an S550 beats the AMG in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I've driven the Panamera. It's a 4 door 911, make no mistake about it. It's about the most incredible "sedan" ever made, mostly because it doesn't feel like a sedan at all. Far better than the M5, IMHO.

However, based on what you're looking for, you are going to be very hard to please. Personally, I understand, and can relate.

But I am going to go in an entirely different direction and get a Jeep Wrangler as my 2nd car. Entirely different in every conceivable way, I won't even compare, and the experiences are both singularly unique, and, to me, pretty cool. I've owned Wranglers before, so know what I'm getting into. It'll be fun to go from my heavily modded 997S to the Wrangler, and back and forth. Each offer something totally unique. And yeah, I'll mod the Wrangler, too. First up: rip out the mufflers, side steps, front and rear bumpers, and throw on a winch, nerf bars, Mickey Thompsons, fender flares, etc.
CATTMAN

Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dlchasen
The salesman I met yesterday assured me that Dinan is working through BMW on this mod and, as a result, the factory warranty stands. Hard to believe, but he was adamant.

I've owned many BMW's and MB's over the years, and I've never ventured into Audiland -- probably as a result of the crap cars they foisted on us in the 70's and 80's (and 90's?). However, the BMW 650i I just turned back had its fair share of electronic gremlins which greatly detracted from my enjoyment of the car, along with the steptronic transmission. Consequently, I'm convinced all of these manufacturers are capable of building problem models and, for the first time, I'm willing to consider some other brands. Heck, I wish Rolex made a car -- even if it ran a tad bit slow.
Dont listen to your salesman...

Dinan is offering their own engine warranty with their re-flash. It is not a factory warranty but they do claim to match it. I am not sure what would actually happen if you did have engine issues after upgrading the software. There are always good stories and horror stories when it comes to this sort of thing but just understand you will be dealing with a tuning company to warranty any future engine issues. That being said, if I had a 335i, I would probably go the Dinan route over the other cheaper options despite their claimed HP gains.

From the Dinan website:

"Dinan is pleased to announce the introduction of the anxiously awaited Stage 2 Performance Engine Software for BMW 335 models. And as always, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages."

Jason

Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
[quote=yrralis1;2565864]
Originally Posted by dlchasen

I remember the days when 60 minutes has a feast on Audi . I never liked the cars then and still feel they are the the inferior car in every category . The R8 is the best of them and even that car is underpowered. The A4 loaners have the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in --worse than my Honda .

The Mercedes is a great car but not the AMG's . I would not buy a Mercedes for performance because even though its fast it's boring . They are fast . They are boring. They also depreciate faster than a meteor falling in space.

If i bought a Mercedes I would buy a big comfy cruiser . That's where Mercedes thrives . Customer service is great, Do not lease one though . MB leases are a nightmare .

In fact the idea of an S550 beats the AMG in my opinion.
Thanks.

As an aside, I have a pernicious habit of collecting wine, and it has taken me a long time to find professional tasters whose palate I share. I think I share your "palate" on cars. My wife drives an MB SL550 and while I have great respect for the engineering and quality of that vehicle, I find it a bit boring -- but fast and comfortable. In the past when I've been bored with cars (MB 400E, BMW 740 IL, for example) they were fast, for their time, but boring nonetheless. Identifying the excitement factor is very important.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
I've driven the Panamera. It's a 4 door 911, make no mistake about it. It's about the most incredible "sedan" ever made, mostly because it doesn't feel like a sedan at all. Far better than the M5, IMHO.

However, based on what you're looking for, you are going to be very hard to please. Personally, I understand, and can relate.

But I am going to go in an entirely different direction and get a Jeep Wrangler as my 2nd car. Entirely different in every conceivable way, I won't even compare, and the experiences are both singularly unique, and, to me, pretty cool. I've owned Wranglers before, so know what I'm getting into. It'll be fun to go from my heavily modded 997S to the Wrangler, and back and forth. Each offer something totally unique. And yeah, I'll mod the Wrangler, too. First up: rip out the mufflers, side steps, front and rear bumpers, and throw on a winch, nerf bars, Mickey Thompsons, fender flares, etc.
CATTMAN
Outside the box -- I like that.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
Dont listen to your salesman...

Dinan is offering their own engine warranty with their re-flash. It is not a factory warranty but they do claim to match it. I am not sure what would actually happen if you did have engine issues after upgrading the software. There are always good stories and horror stories when it comes to this sort of thing but just understand you will be dealing with a tuning company to warranty any future engine issues. That being said, if I had a 335i, I would probably go the Dinan route over the other cheaper options despite their claimed HP gains.

From the Dinan website:

"Dinan is pleased to announce the introduction of the anxiously awaited Stage 2 Performance Engine Software for BMW 335 models. And as always, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages."

Jason
Duly noted, and thanks.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=yrralis1;2565833]
[ I drove a BMW 335i 6MT coupe, which I understand now mimics the M3 with the Dinan chip while maintaining the factory warranty, /QUOTE]

I have driven a few 335i's and have owned a E92 M3. I would pick up a E90/2 M3 over anything else if you have the means. If not, the 335i is a great way to go.

The problems Larry is talking about were mostly associated with early production 335i's centralized around fuel pump issues and some overheating. Both issues appear to have been remedied through BMW directed software fixes. The N54 engine ( I believe that is what its called ) is one of the most award winning power plants ever and populates the entire BMW lineup. Its lack of LSD is not longer a concern since I believe BMW offers their own solution in its organic Performance Parts catalogue. Either that or there is the Quaife solution.

I personally believe some of the new Audi's are on track to being better competitors for BMW. I really like the out going RS4!!! But I have never owned an Audi and the few that I have driven, have not been that impressive.

Jason

Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
[quote=dlchasen;2565891]
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Thanks.

As an aside, I have a pernicious habit of collecting wine, and it has taken me a long time to find professional tasters whose palate I share. I think I share your "palate" on cars. My wife drives an MB SL550 and while I have great respect for the engineering and quality of that vehicle, I find it a bit boring -- but fast and comfortable. In the past when I've been bored with cars (MB 400E, BMW 740 IL, for example) they were fast, for their time, but boring nonetheless. Identifying the excitement factor is very important.
Going for fun factor + reliability + daily driving + price -The M3 does have a lot to offer .

The AMGs have the speed but lack connectivity .
Maserati has sound and luxury but is expensive , feminine , and not reliable.

I'm almost temped to say drive your Porsche daily . The new E class doesn't thrill me as it appears Lexus like. The S class is becoming dated.

I am also almost tempted to say Cayenne . In fact the Porsche moment had all types of deals on them and its a great DD . Plus you get to go to Porsche even when you aren't driving the 911 .

I like the Cayenne S for value. It's priced less than an M3 (with discounts) even and has many practical features. The Turbo is too pricey for a DD and the Gts is very nice but hasn't sold well. Plus I really don't care for alcantara . It looks great on the showroom floor but doesn't wear well .

Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I see Dinan tossed in but when it comes to BMW Tuning , my vote would go to Active Autowerke . They are local and even back in the 80's the well kept older BMW's were serviced there . I haven't been there in many years (1999) but they are top notch .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuexPXg0PQ

Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
There is an interesting thread going on in a BMW forum where the new S4 is compared to the 335i. It is not nearly as one sided as I thought it was.

I have owned about 8 bimmers in my life. 3 series, 5 series, Z4's and I now have X5. I don't think there will be another one in my driveway. For a number of reasons including getting porky, overpriced, one at every corner.

My wife drives an 07 A4 cab. The fit and finish IMO beats BMW by a wide margin. It has had not any problems while the tranmission on my X5 is a concern.

The A4 doesn't drive as well as any bimmer I have had but I think the new S4 closes the gap signifiicantly. Thats why I mentioned it as an alternative to the 335i which still is plagued with issues.

I also like the fact that A4 now outsells the 3 series in europe. To me that says allot.

I'm not sure what I will get to replace the X5 but the S4 is on my list. But to be frank so is a WRX STI and a few other fun DD's.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
There is an interesting thread going on in a BMW forum where the new S4 is compared to the 335i. It is not nearly as one sided as I thought it was.

I have owned about 8 bimmers in my life. 3 series, 5 series, Z4's and I now have X5. I don't think there will be another one in my driveway. For a number of reasons including getting porky, overpriced, one at every corner.

My wife drives an 07 A4 cab. The fit and finish IMO beats BMW by a wide margin. It has had not any problems while the tranmission on my X5 is a concern.

The A4 doesn't drive as well as any bimmer I have had but I think the new S4 closes the gap signifiicantly. Thats why I mentioned it as an alternative to the 335i which still is plagued with issues.

I also like the fact that A4 now outsells the 3 series in europe. To me that says allot.

I'm not sure what I will get to replace the X5 but the S4 is on my list. But to be frank so is a WRX STI and a few other fun DD's.
Buck,

I warming to your Panamera suggestion. Exclusivity factor + Porsche driveability + moderate practicality + PDK + great looks -- what's not to like? What's more, the "S" it's priced reasonably. Just need to get over the proverbial "first year" curse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Daily Driver