997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do you depress the clutch all the way down when shifting?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
xbar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adias
PDK has no shortfalls. And this comes from someone who has driven stick (and still does in other cars) for many years.

That's clearly your OPINION, not a statment of fact.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
afridi is on a distinguished road
While I am happy with my manual (have always driven manual cars) I for some reason dont like to consider PDK and Tip in the same sentence. While PDK was introduced with the stupid tip buttons and backwards arrangement, it is a different system altogether.

I could see myself living with PDK if I had no choice.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xbar
The owner's manual recommends this... but it's so much easier and smoother to press the clutch down only to where the gears catch. Not sure if this puts extra wear on the transmission.

How do you do it?
Always all the way but more out of habit than anything else. I have owned many different manual transmission cars over the years and found that clutch engagement occurs at different places along the travel of the clutch pedal dependent upon the car. Some closer to the floor than others. To be sure I get it right I've always depressed the clutch all the way to floor.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
That's clearly your OPINION, not a statment of fact.
Yes it is my opinion, which I hope you agree is as valid as yours.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 PM
raspritz will become famous soon enoughraspritz will become famous soon enough
There is absolutely no reason to engage the clutch all the way if you don't mind paying to have your transmission rebuilt every so often. It's totally a personal choice!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
I wonder on the last inch of depressing the clutch where there is no transmission engagement if there really is no transmission engagement or if it is just there for safety.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes it is my opinion, which I hope you agree is as valid as yours.
I never suggested otherwise.

The intent of that post was to dispute your indicative statement that PDK transmissions (as compared to manual transmissions) don't have any shortfalls - not to suppress the validity of your opinion.

I'm sure they're terrific, but most likely not without compromises - otherwise we'd all get one!

Back on topic... so Dadio, if I'm able to catch the gear at a correct point, is it safe to not press the clutch all the way down to the floor?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by DrPeter
I wonder on the last inch of depressing the clutch where there is no transmission engagement if there really is no transmission engagement or if it is just there for safety.
Yes! This is the portion of the clutch I'm referring to. I've been wondering the same thing.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
PDK has no shortfalls. And this comes from someone who has driven stick (and still does in other cars) for many years.

Of course PDK has shortfalls. It may well be the best automatic on the market, but if you prefer to do the shifting yourself or are continuing to try to master the art of using a manual transmission, it's not going to cut it as it can never provide the same level of engagement or involvement. If on the other hand, you want the car to shift for you and are looking for the fastest possible shifts or the fastest possible times, the manual will have its shortfalls. Whether either one is a benefit or a shortfall depends entirely upon on one's perspective.

Last edited by swajames; 11-11-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Koby will become famous soon enough
All the way for me... i have the sport buckets in mine and perhaps the seating position (maybe because there's no reclining function) makes pushing to the bottom of the clutch pretty effortless...

not pushing all the way may have longer term wear problems, so guess its better to do so anyways!

all manual cars for me too... learnt to drive stick in a miata and that was one of the most rewarding & positive feedback transmissions i've driven...

also for PDK, not my cup of tea, but i guess if i was gonna drive an automated transmission, it would rank near the top...

Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
rbuisa is on a distinguished road
Video

what was the original question?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
All the way! I want to make sure clutch is fully release before I slam it into gear. There is always a chance of grinding your synchro if you depress half way. One good grind could kill a synchro.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
xbar is a little hostile for a guy who doesnt know how to properly drive a stick shift car..

-ouch!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 AM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DrPeter

Yes! This is the portion of the clutch I'm referring to. I've been wondering the same thing.
So what I am gathering is no one really knows what happens in that last inch and everyone wants maximum safety in protecting their transmission.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Clutches are mechanical so it is not as precise. That 3-4" clutch pedal movement only move the pressure plate away from the clutch about 1/4" (maybe 1/2") but not a lot. That extra 1" after disengage only move the pressure plates an additional 1/16 to 1/8" away. It is extra clearance if needed. It is just like during engaging, clutch fully engage 3/4 way up, why need the extra 1/2-1" up?. ( hum.. might not be a good example.)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you depress the clutch all the way down when shifting?