997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daily Driver? Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered PM
CircleT009 is on a distinguished road
Daily Driver? Need advice

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and am currently 3-4 months away from buying my first Porsche.

I will be living in KC, MO (currently on Grand Cayman) and my question is can a 997 C4S be a daily driver even in a KC winter? I understand if a bunch of snow dumps it is probably a no go, but what about a 1-3 inches then the roads being cleared. I used to drive an A4 with Quattro and never had a problem.

Also the C4S would be only car, are they reliable enough to be a year around daily driver, probably 20k miles a year?

And finally if the C4S is an option as a daily (even in winter), what about a 997 Turbo? Same AWD system, correct?

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
If you have proper snow tires on a C4/Turbo, there should be no problem in 1-3" of snow.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
My opinion -

Car is very reliable
I understand the 4's are pretty good in a couple inches of snow (with proper tires)

Having said that, I drive my 2S about 85% of the time (I'm in Maryland). Others will probably disagree but it is not a very good DD vehicle IMO. I rarely have anybody else in the car with me save for my wife when we go out to dinner but it just gets "tiresome" with the interior cabin noise, sqweaks/rattles, rowing gears, no space for golf clubs/ drycleaning/or anything larger than a gym bag. Maybe it's because I just turned 40

They are fantastic driver's cars . A true sportscar. Just make sure you are aware of all of this going in.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by amerlemans
My opinion -
Others will probably disagree but it is not a very good DD vehicle IMO. I rarely have anybody else in the car with me save for my wife when we go out to dinner but it just gets "tiresome" with the interior cabin noise, sqweaks/rattles, rowing gears, no space for golf clubs/ drycleaning/or anything larger than a gym bag. Maybe it's because I just turned 40

They are fantastic driver's cars . A true sportscar. Just make sure you are aware of all of this going in.
You should certainly be aware of those factors, but I suspect it depends on what you're used to. My wife and I have had sports cars or something close for 47 years, and always as our daily driver. Cindy hates to ride in cars with an automatic because my clutch work is smoother than any automatic we've ever tried. When we bought our 997.2 this last weekend, I considered trying the PDK, but decided I had no reason to let the computer have all the fun. So rowing is relative. A chore to some, but part of the pleasure for others. My right arm twitches without a gearshift **** to manage, and my left foot has more than once jerked us severely when I tried to disengage a clutch that wasn't there. On rental cars I mean.

We did just put a week's groceries in this 911S, without any serious attention to packing. Most sports cars we've owned require a loose pack, but this time we left everything in the bags and had no trouble at all. I can't say we've ever had enough dry cleaning to make that an issue, though I know what you mean. You don't just want the stuff in there somewhere, you'd kinda like to retain that fresh press. I haven't done that yet, but I assumed there would be a hook somewhere over the rear quarter windows once I got around to looking. Not so?

We managed to get a couple of golf bags in our NSX, so I suppose we'll find room for them in the 911 if that ever arises. Normally, we leave them at the club so we don't have to schlump them around. You see, we're in our late sixties, so it definitely depends on what you're used to.

What does make me wonder is you're the second person who has remarked on interior noise, and especially rattles. Our 997 is a CPO with 11,000 miles and we'd have bought the new one instead of this one had it been rattling. In fact, we might have reconsidered Porsche completely. Not for fear of problems; we know it's a reliable car. Just because we are in our sixties and don't take pleasure from riding in a cacophony. So far, touch wood and all that, it sounds as tight as a Lexus -- with fun added. Engine music is there when I put my foot in it, but quite civilized the rest of the time.

Hope it stays this way,

Old 11-26-2009, 01:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Having said that, I drive my 2S about 85% of the time (I'm in Maryland). Others will probably disagree but it is not a very good DD vehicle IMO. I rarely have anybody else in the car with me save for my wife when we go out to dinner but it just gets "tiresome" with the interior cabin noise, sqweaks/rattles, rowing gears, no space for golf clubs/ drycleaning/or anything larger than a gym bag. Maybe it's because I just turned 40
I daily drive my car, and love the sounds, and rowing of the gears. I think that the clutch is as easy to handle as a VW GTI, and a lot more fun IMO. I am usually the only one in my car, I see a lot of 997's on the road as DD.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would pick the Turbo over the C4S . The current pricing on used 997tt cars is great and the Gt1 engine is one of the most reliable engines I have ever seen . Plus it can be modified to enormous Hp capacity and is great for all weather driving .

The only snag I see in any of this is that when one owns a nice car .. even if the car performs well in the rain or snow --everyone else on the road is still driving their cars and you may have good road control but they may not .

Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Save some cash and get a C2S with snow tires. You'll need them anyway even with a C4S.

Kansas City doesn't get the copious snow falls I remember as a child. The last decade or so it's predominately more ice. So again, snow tires are really a requirement if your 911 will be a daily driver even in the winter.

I just got my Dunlop Wintersports mounted to my C2S and its my only vehicle.

C2S vs C4S is arguable; The real AWD advantage is wet traction.

Once it freezes, Rear or AWD must have proper snow tread.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
PHDX2 will become famous soon enoughPHDX2 will become famous soon enough
My Porsche 911 is a daily driver and I couldn’t be happier. Sure, there are some inconveniences, but that’s all part of the true sports car experience. Whether it’s travel to work, the grocery store, the dry cleaners (TIP: Gently drop garments on hangers into the luggage compartment, working them back and forth from front to back so that they rest evenly across the base of the compartment), vacation destinations, etc., I’m in the 911 and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I cherish the time that I have with my car. The more, the better!

Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PHDX2
My Porsche 911 is a daily driver and I couldn’t be happier. Sure, there are some inconveniences, but that’s all part of the true sports car experience. Whether it’s travel to work, the grocery store, the dry cleaners (TIP: Gently drop garments on hangers into the luggage compartment, working them back and forth from front to back so that they rest evenly across the base of the compartment), vacation destinations, etc., I’m in the 911 and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I cherish the time that I have with my car. The more, the better!
killer tip on the dry cleaning...that's been driving me craaaazy.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
ggregory is on a distinguished road
I'll take the less popular opinion. No, IMO I wouldn't use the car as a daily driver. First off, I live and California and don't have to deal with commuting in the snow. However, I drive to Tahoe every weekend in the winter (Toyota Landcruiser) and am very familiar with the conditions.

I've owned my Porsche for about 1 month now, I find that I'm more "protective" about the car, even though I promised myself not to "baby" it...i still do. Rock chips stick out more. I find myself parking with ample space around me in parking lots, even if it's means a little further walk. Ironically, My Landcruiser has 130,000 miles and I beat the hell out of it. It's just that the Porsche brings a little more of that out in me.

That said, here are my impressions:
1. You'll wish you were higher up on the road. The first time a truck passes you going 60mph the opposite way and kicks salt, mud and rocks into your car/windshield you'll be bumbed. We call it "road rash" in Tahoe, and even in my Landruiser I've had to replace the windshield and repaint the bumper atleast every other year.
2. You'll find it more difficult getting in an out as quickly as you like. In bad weather, you want quick, easy access and don't want to have to worry about your car becoming a mud room.
3. Salt, salt, and more salt. Wrecks your car.

Summary: Get the Porsche! but keep your other ride for use on bad weather days.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:41 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Snow tires, rubberized floor mats, ice scraper, clear bra, enjoy!!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:48 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
I have used a 997 2S Cabrio for a daily driver for 4 years now, some 38000 miles. It is eminently feasible, but consider the following:
-Get an extra set of wheels with winter tires. Summer tires are useless in snow and ice. An absolute must.
-Have a clear bra fitted. Don't get the precut version, get a custom install where they do the entire hood and fenders, as well as the bumper, headlights and mirrors. Have them remove the lights, so the edges are hidden.
-The suggestion about rubber mats for winter is well founded. They work.
-I you don't have a garage, get an outdoor car cover. Very useful for when it snows.
-When they are salting the roads, run it through the carwash every week, or DIY.
-If your commute to work is short, run the car longer every 2 or 3 days, it takes 10-15 miles to get it fully warmed up.

With the proposed yearly mileage, you will be on good terms with the person who sell you tires. Expect 10-12K for rears and 20-22K for fronts. Figure up to $2K for a full set. Oil change twice or three times per year. Brake pads probably every 1-1.5 years. Brake fluid flush every 2 years. The major service at 40K or so (coolant, transmission and engine oil; accessory drive belt; spark plugs, cabin filter; brake fluid flush again), will run $1200-$1500. Expect a battery change at 3-4 years.

Finally, think about an extended warranty at purchase, you will blow through the standard one in 2.5 years.

None of this comes cheap. Run the numbers for purchase, operating costs, insurance, maintenance and low resale value to ensure that it makes sense for you. With the mileage you envision, it may be practical to get an economy car as a beater to spare the 997. The maintenance, operation and accelerated depreciation for a high mile 997 may add up to its total price.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I think there is a logical and literal difference between a DD and ones only car. I split my DD duties between my Porsche and my Prius (the CA HOV lane stickers make it the fastest car on the roads during rush hour!).
But as noted by others:
1. There are some practical challenges to the car - Costco runs, lumber yard, big boxes from big-box stores;
2. Driving or parking in some areas where I clearly care more about my car than those around me;
3. General wear and tear. The 911 is a very well-engineered and constructed car but it's a lot of money to be driving on days when you're too busy to enjoy it;
4. There are simply some days where I want to be more comfortable, care less about looking out for the car, sitting up higher and seeing traffic, and not worrying about what the parking situation is likely to be where I arrive.
I'm pretty durable when it comes to these things. The car is not too noisy, too rough, too anything. But if I could only have one car, regrefully I suspect I'd drive something else.
Maybe an M3!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Get a $2500 beater for a 2nd car. Use it when the weather is crappy and/or when you have to go places where secure parking is marginal. You'll save the 2.5k/yr. in the extra wear and tear and snow tires and mileage, won't have to spend an hour or two every week cleaning it, and will appreciate the Pcar even more when driving it. If you're one of those young guys with ego problems just carry a couple pictures of your Porsche parked in front of a million $ house.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
huy
huy will become famous soon enough
seriously... just get a car you dont care about for a DD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver? Need advice