997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Big difference between 997 & 997 S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 AM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
I drove both and bought S. But I could afford to do that. They are both very good cars, buy the best you can afford.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Koby will become famous soon enough
i'm sure both trims are fine and probably wont notice a great deal of a difference (performance wise) unless you drive them back-to-back..

rekon what it comes down to is how much and what options are on the available vehicles... bottom line is if the PSAM, bigger wheels, and other S options are a must have, the might as well go with the S. if not and can do with a basic 911, then the non-S should suffice...

thats only my 2 cents...

Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
bigger brakes, and bigger engine....

Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Having owned both (albeit a .1 C2 and a .2 C2S) I'd always go the S. Especially on a .1 car.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
Individual priorities vary, and a sports car is a personal thing. I owned an '06 997S for a year, great car, no problems or complaints. Given the current market, if this individual is an aggressive enthusiast, one who either really loves driving, or, has some track weekends planned, a 996 GT3 might be a great alternative. I will confess a strong prejudice, as I bought one a few months back. I enjoy it more than any car I've ever owned, and there have been many. But granted, it will not please everyone, and obviously does not answer the question, sorry.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by elh0102
Individual priorities vary, and a sports car is a personal thing. I owned an '06 997S for a year, great car, no problems or complaints. Given the current market, if this individual is an aggressive enthusiast, one who either really loves driving, or, has some track weekends planned, a 996 GT3 might be a great alternative. I will confess a strong prejudice, as I bought one a few months back. I enjoy it more than any car I've ever owned, and there have been many. But granted, it will not please everyone, and obviously does not answer the question, sorry.
Really great alternative is 2010 turbo, if we choose to speak about alternatives instead of original question.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Really great alternative is 2010 turbo, if we choose to speak about alternatives instead of original question.
Well, yes, but I think a 2010 turbo costs about three times as much as an '05 GT3. But your point is taken, I should not have responded

Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by elh0102
Well, yes, but I think a 2010 turbo costs about three times as much as an '05 GT3. But your point is taken, I should not have responded
Nah, it was not my point, I am just envious to those who will buy that 2010 turbo thing... looks amazing, at least, on paper.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I just bought an 06' s and here was my thinking. The cost difference was only a few thousand dollars and I didn't want to go with a standard 997 and ever wonder "what if?". I'm sure I would have been stoked with a standard model but would always no that I could have gotten a little more for a little more.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
philcr2800 will become famous soon enough
I'd say it all depends what you intend to do with the car. Personally, I want to keep it for a long time and I believe that after 5 years there is no residual value left between a 3.6l and a 3.8l engine, nor with any of the options. One reason being that new cars keep evolving in the meantime.

I wanted a 4WD and prefered C4 to C4S though I could afford it, just because you need to draw a line somewhere. For those doing tracks, I believe a GT3 is worth the difference to a C4S. On roads, you will need to drive a C4 and C4S back-to-back for it to become an issue.

Remain the options issue. True that if you take a base 997, add Xenon, PASM, 19", the price difference is about 6k or so. Again, timeframe is the key. Personally I do not want PASM. The car touches often enough on humps, PASM in comfort mode is even stiffer than regular suspensions. Moreover pneumatic suspensions can be trouble whereas good old springs work fine for ever. The same is true with 4WD systems. I'd rather have a viscous clutch than sensors and processors. Not only a question of taste. Well maintained mechanic last. Electronics fail, and evolve letting you obsolete and helpless. Compare BMWs from the 80s with current ones, for example, you'll see how "perfect" can become the enemy of "good".

So I just thought I'd draw a line and stick to the base engine. Besides I hated crab claws wheels. True, each time you turn the key you might think "why didn't I take a S?" But you might find yourself in an S and think "I'd rather have kept things simple, sticked to basics". Either way you're sure to find frustration if you're looking for it. Best is to just enjoy your beautiful car.
I guess it's a nice problem to have don't you think?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
ROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the rough
carrera and carrera s in my opinion has a hug difference especially in HP

Old 12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
drkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to all
The 997 he is looking at is a 2005 with 25k miles. Black on black with with some very nice options:

Upgraded Red Porsche Calipers

19" wheels

PSM

Xenon Lights

Bose system with 6 disk changer

Dual Powered Heated Seats

1 Car owner with clean car fax for $42K. I think it is good deal with the level of options. Similar S models are running $50k

Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
2005 911

Originally Posted by drkside
The 997 he is looking at is a 2005 with 25k miles. Black on black with with some very nice options:.......................................... ..........................................
1 Car owner with clean car fax for $42K. I think it is good deal with the level of options. Similar S models are running $50k
couldn't upgrade to red calipers in 05 or 06, so they repainted the black ones. PSM is standard on base or S.

Maybe not in LaLa land (SF), but 42k pretty salty for a 25k 05 that probably had a MSRP less than 75 grand.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ROADRAGE
carrera and carrera s in my opinion has a hug difference especially in HP

I own a base and love driving it to the limits of my talent on the track. I don't think at my limits those 30HP mean squat.

I say get the best deal you can within your means and you can't go wrong with either.

I do agree with utkinpol that for some similar money you can do some great mods.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM
vrnkc is on a distinguished road
Base 997

I have a base 2005 997. Hey, I am just glad that I have joined the Porsche family with my first purchase of a 911! The base 997 is still much improved over the earlier years 911 with regards to horsepower, torque, safety etc.
Got to consider what you can realistically afford too! Non porsche owners still give me "that look" at a stop light :>)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big difference between 997 & 997 S?